Blacking out chrome trim

Mr Singh

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm thinking about blacking out my chrome trim around my windows to satin black. Is there an easy way of doing this or is it the case of lots of masking tape and patience?

Grills are the easy bit lol.

No mate, I used 50mm electrical tape as a trial (surprisingly robust!) but sprayed them in the end. Easier to spray than a window surround though as mentioned!

Only problem is I need to spray the whole grill and I am not sure I have that much skill! Do you have to prep the chrome parts at all or just make sure they are squeaky clean?

Its pretty easy as long as your halfway handy, and have a dry not too windy day!

I rubbed my surround down with 60 grit paper to really rough it up a bit, and then finished it off all over with 600 grit to smooth it - followed by some Halfords grey primer, and satin matt black. Plasticote has also been recommended to me as it's more robust apparently.

If you're doing the whole grille then you'll probably not want satin! Or just buy some of THIS

Cheers James - next time i'm down, you could try your hand at spraying mine then!

I'd seen that tape before but didnt think it was that good. I'll give it a go.

Grill are the easy bits :)