How do you test the DV?

mark_sarah

Limp mode!
Reaction score
I have an irratic boost, and wondered if it was my standard DV on its way out!

How can you test if its faulty, i have read a few links but still un-sure.

Remove it from the car, push your finger up the bottom port, pushing the diaphragm up against the spring pressure, then put your palm over the side port of it creating a seal and release your finger on the diaphragm. The diaphragm should stay up against the spring pressure until you release the seal on the side port. If not then your DV is passing.

Low Boost – Limp Mode, MBC, BOV, DV, Boost Leak, N75,
High Boost – MBC Setting, N75, Spark Plugs, Ignition Coils

Remove it from the car, push your finger up the bottom port, pushing the diaphragm up against the spring pressure, then put your palm over the side port of it creating a seal and release your finger on the diaphragm. The diaphragm should stay up against the spring pressure until you release the seal on the side port. If not then your DV is passing.

Shouldnt you put your fingers over the vacuum hole on the top, not the side port.

I Remove it from my car today, pushed my finger up the bottom port, pushing the diaphragm up against the spring pressure, then put my palm over the side port of it creating a seal and released my finger from the diaphragm. The diaphragm just released, i also tried the top but that also just released.

Does this mean my DV is knacked?

Sounds like it, time for a Forge 007p methinks, better design, but costs about £70, as oppposed to about £20 or so for a standard Bosch DV

Last edited:
My bad for saying the side port, it was the small nipple on top that the 4mm pipe attaches to, but if that didn't work either then your DV isn't working and you need to replace it. Standard Bosch is ok if the car is standard and you plan to keep it that way, if not I would go with the Forge 007P.

pull it off. blow down both ends, and the vac hose. should all be air tight

If i blow through the side pipe air comes easily through the top vacuum pipe. If i blow through the top vacuum pipe, air easily passes through the side hole.

If i blow through the bottom pipe, air will not pass through.

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct function?

is code F

bottom part should be air tight. vac line should be air tight. side should be air tight unless vac is applied to the vac pipe

time for a new DV, get on the blower to audi or vw

Testing DV is simple and has been said already.

Push the diaphragm up with a finger or pen to compress the spring, then place you finger over the top nipple (vacuum) then release your finger or pen from under the diaphragm and it should stay in position (compressing the spring)

If it goes down then diaphragm is split and you need a new one

Nathan

that would test the diaphragm, but there is also a seal in the plunger too. ive got a spare at home, i might dissect it

Replaced my DV with a Forge 007p today. Definately worth every penny.