My Birthday Present to Myself

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
These are the car's OEM wheels; bog-standard 16-incher. Easy to clean, but pretty dull;

Image026.jpg

These are the 18-inch A8 reps I fitted a couple of years ago. They cost £750 with Goodyears GSDs, and as soon as I got them on, I knew they didn't look right. They were also pigs to clean, very heavy, and ruined the ride and handling;

P1000101.jpg

So, I went back to the OEMs, until yesterday, when I got these fitted. They're 17 inch RS6 reps, and I think they look just perfect, bearing in mind the rest of the car is unmodified, and standard SE ride height. They're shod with 225/45/17 Falken ZE912s. Early impressions are of much improved steering response, bump absorption, and reduced noise levels. Way too soon to test them for grip, but so far I'm very happy. They cost £540 from Wheels Gateway (a shop front for LK Performance), included a full set of bolts and locking bolts, and arrived less than 24 hours after shipping.

P1000246.jpg

P1000241.jpg

Last edited:
Looks much better Jeff! I didn't even know you could get RS6's in a 17". Great wheels :thumbsup:

Looks loads better, I wasnt aware either that they did 17's!
Did you not want the 18's as they are around the same price from few sellers...

Looks much better Jeff! I didn't even know you could get RS6's in a 17". Great wheels :thumbsup:

Thanks, pal. They took some finding, but Wheels Gateway had 'em good to go. Just need to get some push on covers for the bolts now. BTW, looking at your to-do list, can I suggest you change the anti-roll bar before you lower the springs? Unless, you want to lower it for looks, you might find the anti-roll bar on its own gives you all the handling improvement you want without the adverse affect on ride that comes from a reduction in wheel travel. Just a thought to bear in mind.

Looks loads better, I wasnt aware either that they did 17's!
Did you not want the 18's as they are around the same price from few sellers...

No. Because the rest of the car is original; i.e. unpainted lowers, SE ride-height, 18s on their own look a bit cartoonish. 17s are just right.

No. Because the rest of the car is original; i.e. unpainted lowers, SE ride-height, 18s on their own look a bit cartoonish. 17s are just right.

I agree on that, you made a good choice there. Looks very smart IMO.

I have this problem in deciding on 18's or 19's though. lol

I agree on that, you made a good choice there. Looks very smart IMO.

I have this problem in deciding on 18's or 19's though. lol

Thanks for that. It just goes to show what a subjective and personal issue wheels are. Those A8 reps would have looked much better if the car was a darker body colour (in fact the guy I sold 'em to put 'em on a dark grey (or was it blue? - I can't remember) A4, and they worked much better), but on mine, they looked wrong.

Last edited:
I've never liked those A8 wheels on any car personally.

BTW, looking at your to-do list, can I suggest you change the anti-roll bar before you lower the springs? Unless, you want to lower it for looks, you might find the anti-roll bar on its own gives you all the handling improvement you want without the adverse affect on ride that comes from a reduction in wheel travel. Just a thought to bear in mind.

I'm doing it for looks too Jeff, got the old SE/18" wheel thing going on.....!

they look nice
hmmm i can see me spending soon
and its all your fault lol

ps do they fill the arch out better than standard wheels?
width wise

Last edited:
they look nice
hmmm i can see me spending soon
and its all your fault lol

ps do they fill the arch out better than standard wheels?
width wise

Yes they do, but not massively so. The tyres are 20mm wider than standard, and the offset is ET45 rather than ET42. Someone might have to help me out on this, but if I have understood it correctly, the new wheels have 3mm more offset, so that means they sit 3mm further in. Therefore, the new tyres stick out by an extra 7mm whilst sitting 13mm nearer to the suspension uprights.

Have I got that right, people?