Admiral Insurance 'Warning' letter

MikeSel^

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mikesel.info
Hello guys

After a bit of advice if I can.. My car got run into whilst stationary in traffic on the 20th. The other driver accepted liability at the side of the road and I also got confirmation from my insurance company to say they had accepting responsibility.

They arranged for my car to be collected and offered me a courtesy car. She said it would be a small car such as a corsa or nissan micra etc. Alternatively they would arrange for a same class hire car and charge it to the other driver.

During the time I received text messages (several) from the other insurance company, offering me their services and arrangement of hire car etc. I ignored them at the request of my insurance company. Now my car has been fixed and returned and the hire car (a vauxhall astra) has been collected tonight.

I walked in to find 2 letters from Admiral (the other drivers insurance) basically saying if I ignored their offer to fix my car and hire me a car they would only pay out what it would have cost them to get it sorted. Any additional cost I would be liable for!!! WTF???

They say the same applies to the car hire, if they could have got it cheaper they will bill me for the difference!

Does anyone know if this is true?

On top of it all - my insurance company have still bumped up my premium - despite the fact I pay for protected no claims and have 7+ yrs

Any help would be appreciated!

Time to dump your insurance company - I have NO loyalty to ANY financial institution these days....give Swiftcover a go....they do me alright and were excellent when I was side swiped on the M25 by a foreign 40 tonne lorry...

An insurance company can't tell you who will fix your car and rental etc.

Jokers mate!

As for the no claims - They'll all do this now. We had the same even though an old pr*tt parked in our boot (and left it like it...) we had to pay a premium as we'd claimed?! (We have protected N/C's also)

How odd, in the event of a claim, you deal with the claim side of the company who deals with any claims regarding personal injury, car hire, recovery of car and arranging the place of repair etc. You've obviously instructed your insurance company to deal with the claim which is normal and...

During the time I received text messages (several) from the other insurance company, offering me their services and arrangement of hire car etc. I ignored them at the request of my insurance company.

With the above, I can't see you can be liable for anything?

Just also to add, unless you had to pay an excess, which means you made a claim through your insurance in the first instance, there should be no premium added on, as you never made a claim with your own insurance, since the other party admitted liability.
I've made 2 claims through my insurance company in the last 5 years where the other person admitted liability, and one of them was a 12 month affair, when the 3rd party guy went AWOL, and no effect on my insurance.

Who are you insured with then JOJO as i have two cars and both insurance companies NIC for the Audi and Bennets for my other car increased my following insurance due to the fact i had been in two accidents which niether had been my fault and my 5 years NCB hadn`t been affected. As to the OP pass the letter on to your insurance company and keep a copy for yourself. As Admiral isn`t your insurance company they have no say what so ever as to what/where or anything to do with fixing your car or hiring another one. I have never heard of this sort of thing either?

Thanks guys, I plan on scanning the letter when I get to work in the morning and sending it over to Churchill for them to sort.

Im not going to phone them tonight, because I dont want to read the letter to them... An I don't own a scanner!

Lets hope the solicitor takes this into account with my personal injury claim - with the stress its causing!

Who are you insured with then JOJO as i have two cars and both insurance companies NIC for the Audi and Bennets for my other car increased my following insurance due to the fact i had been in two accidents which niether had been my fault and my 5 years NCB hadn`t been affected.

AdrianFlux mate, on the first incident, my car was parked up, and a guy reversed into the rear bumper, he actually knocked on my door to admit liability! Informed my insurance company, and said I didn't want to pay an excess, it's all going through the other guys insurance, and I dealt with the other guys insurance from then onwards, so maybe that key to it.
Second incident was a bizaar one, in which I had to go to the police a few weeks after the incident to find the guy after he went AWOL and failed to deal away from insurance company, so informed my insurance company again, but I ended up using an independant claims company by recommendation come to think of it, so maybe they didn't log that one down? The other party was taken to court and I had the full value of my car paid out and managed to keep the car as a form of compensation.

Hello guys

After a bit of advice if I can.. My car got run into whilst stationary in traffic on the 20th. The other driver accepted liability at the side of the road and I also got confirmation from my insurance company to say they had accepting responsibility.

They arranged for my car to be collected and offered me a courtesy car. She said it would be a small car such as a corsa or nissan micra etc. Alternatively they would arrange for a same class hire car and charge it to the other driver.

During the time I received text messages (several) from the other insurance company, offering me their services and arrangement of hire car etc. I ignored them at the request of my insurance company. Now my car has been fixed and returned and the hire car (a vauxhall astra) has been collected tonight.

I walked in to find 2 letters from Admiral (the other drivers insurance) basically saying if I ignored their offer to fix my car and hire me a car they would only pay out what it would have cost them to get it sorted. Any additional cost I would be liable for!!! WTF???

They say the same applies to the car hire, if they could have got it cheaper they will bill me for the difference!

Does anyone know if this is true?

On top of it all - my insurance company have still bumped up my premium - despite the fact I pay for protected no claims and have 7+ yrs

Any help would be appreciated!

exactly same happened to me (it was admiral too) hot air mate nothing came of it, i too had to pay higher for a non fault, and here is the best bit, you lose that years no claims!! so if you had 7 years and coming up to 8 on renewel it stays on 7 because you had a non fault claim :no:

I hate admiral. They somehow think that they can boss you about. Dont take any of it, switch to a better provider. Im with swiftcover and so far its been good. No hastle or anything!