TYRE PRESSURE MONITOR - ANY PROBLEMS ?

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , has anyone had any problems with the tyre pressure monitor system . For example 'is it too sensitive '? Also does anyone know what sort of pressure change activates the alarm ? I'm thinking of getting this but have heard a friend with this on his BMW saying that it is forever going off with a very minor fall in tyre pressure which is giving me a few doubts , thanks .

Mine has only went off once - and for good reason as I had a slow puncture - when I went to the garage it was sat at 22psi. I dont know what they alar, at, but I'm sure its worked out on rolling radius (via the ABS sensors) and not actual tyre pressure, so there'll need to be quite a bit of difference in tyre pressure (and flatness) to activiate it.

Mine didn't go off on a front wheel when my offside tyre was at 9psi (leaking valve). That said I was running aftermarket 19's, so whilst it runs on ABS sensors rather than a PSI reading I'm not sure how aftermarket wheels will affect it???

Mine went off Warren, when I changed from the standard rims to the BBS's - I think it sent the readings all potty. but a quick press of the button on the dash to reset and all was quiet. I then had a similar issue to yours (leaky valve overnight) and it went off straight away on the new rims with the 225 tyres as I got to the end of our street.

I dont think they're that sensitive to be honest and rely on the tyres being pretty flat before alarming - so in answer to shilts question I wouldnt worry about them going off all the time :)

Mine works fine. They dont go off straight away, after a few miles. Had my tyres changed last week and forgot to reset the system, came on after about 3 miles.

Worth getting if you're lazy like me and don't check your tyre pressures often. I only check mine when the warning goes off! Worked a few weeks ago when it looks like I have a very slow puncture and the pressure drops below about 24psi on the rear.

Thanks guy's , sounds as though it may be a different set up to BMW - I may go for it after all !

I have the TPMS fitted to my A3. On Friday evening, on the short journey home, about 1 mile after setting off, the TPMS warning was activated. When I got home and checked the tyre pressures the rear near side tyre was 5 or 6 pounds under pressure (all tyres pumped up to the recommended pressures 7 weeks ago). I pumped the tyre up to just over 30PSI, and reset the TPMS with the ignition on and the car stationary. Drove the car a few miles on Saturday and Sunday with no TPMS warning. Yesterday, I didnt drive it, but checked the pressure again for the tyre in question at about 6pm - it was only 18PSI. Pumped it back up to just over 30PSI and reset the TPMS again. This morning, at 7am, I checked the pressure again, and the tyre was about 5 or 6 pounds under pressure. Without pumping the tyre up or resetting the TPMS, I drove into work (5 miles) - no TPMS warning. Clearly, I have a slow puncture, but I'm not clear why the TPMS warning did not occur whilst driving into work this morning.

Mine works fine. They dont go off straight away, after a few miles. Had my tyres changed last week and forgot to reset the system, came on after about 3 miles.

I noticed this recently too, so being a geek I got out the VCDS and ran some scans on the wheel speeds, there was a difference of 1 kph between the new fronts and old rears.

I have the TPMS also, last week changed alloys+tyres and the system never came on!

It usually comes one when there`s a big difference in tyre pressures