17" or 18" RS4s on a red S3?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So then, buy 17inch RS4-esque wheels and save on tyres;

http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/s...179-spoke-alloy-wheels-with-good-tyres&cat=10

Or wait for 18s?

The car;

IMG_5433.jpg

17's will no doubt save you a few bob but you'll end up wishing you went for 18's.

That was my gut feeling, although I am very happy with the current 17s.

Am I really going to notice that much of a difference?

Saw a S3 with 18's on this morn, they look really good. If your going to spend the money get the 18's, think you'll regret it otherwise. Just bought myself some. Look on ebay - they're selling all the time so you can bag yourself a bargain, not often with decent tyres though unfortunately.

That's the issue Matt. I want Pirellis or Contis, not some budget POS!

Rare to find them without spending 7-800 :(

Just keep looking - They come off TT's all the time where they're a common wheel. I saw a set a little while ago with 2 Pirellis on with decent amount of tread left - so you'd only need to buy 2 more tyres... (obviously they go for more but not as much more as 2 new tyres on top) Personally i think the 17's would look funny on the S3, wheels make a big difference to a car and you don't really want to get it wrong.

B5 RS4 Alloys aka RSTT

Incorrect, B5 RS4(Genuine OEM ones) are 18x8.5, think they are made of aluminium, as they buckle easy and have a low offset of ET20 or something. Replica's would be ET35 and 18X8 in size, though Audi did make them as OEM wheels on B6 onwards, maybe ET45? not 100% sure.

RSTT are similar in design and obviously started out on 225TT's. RS4 style rims have the a ridge cut out of the spokes edges, but blend in about half down the spoke, RSTTs have the ridge all the way along the edge of the spokes and look dished.

Thanks for that JoJo, they are all pretty difficult to see on eBay sheite photos.

Go 18's you can get a decent set of tyres for £500 fitted (see current thread on tyres) which is only about £100 more than 17's plus once you have a set of 4 new tyres your not likely to be replace all 4 together again just the fronts so you wont even notice the difference in tyre cost. I'd have 18's if i hadnt refurb'd my avus 17s

See that's the current issue, mine came with brand new 17" tyres, and like you say, selling second hand tyres never gains the same price as new, so it would be a massive waste to just bung new tyres and wheels on.

Unless I kept these as winter wheels . . . !

Either keep as winter wheels or wait until you need new tyres and then buy your 18's or buy the 18's if a set turn up at a good price and fit when your 17's need changing. As the wheel wont add value to your car, keep the 17's and if you ever come to sell the S3 put the 17's back on and sell the 18's separate.

Yeah that's the thing, will just keep running these either until I decide to put away the funds or until the tyres need changing.

Problem is, I need them to be perfect as well, so either new or refurb is required :(

No point having winter wheels dude if you're new wheels aren't gonna be 'blinging'. Weather wouldn't damage them as much as wheels which have been polished up. All you have to do is clean them more than usual and use protective wheel wax and you'll be fine.

I know i wouldn't spend a few hundred quid for 18's when i've just spent money on new tyres for my 17's. Just a waste of money but that's my opinion. I'm geting my 17's pro refurbed and resprayed in another colour and keeping them. Then will come the lowerage! :)

I''ve got a set 18" RS4 reps that came off my Leon that i've been meaning to sell on

Price Tyler?

Dj-Troopa, I'm a detailer matey, but thanks for the hints ;) It was more for bashing into curbs if we have snow again.