Extra Load tires

Mr.G

Reaction score
I have Pirelli P Zero Rosso (extra load) tires on my car and was wondering why?

After speaking with Celtic tires (local firm) they say that the sidewalls are stiffer. I'm now wondering why I have them on my car surely it isn't that heavy? Does it actually come with them standard?

I was thinking of changing to Eagle F1's, but not sure I'm doing the right thing, plus replacing 4 tires (have to be uniform) won't be cheap.

Thanks in advance.

G

P.s Used the search box but didn't find anything. :)

Use the search function.

Oh wait ;)

Some people fit them to help with extra pressures that build up when the tyres get warm. Thicker the wall, less likely you are to get bulges. Same idea behind them also being better for track day use. More time spent on quick cornering puts extra load on the tyre wall, again making it more likely to burst the tyres.

Also helps against tyres getting slashed by curbing.

Personally wouldn't bother. Unless your car can touch R8 cornering speeds (dad's has the Rossos on it, so does the RS6 and 4) you are just paying for tyres above their requirements.

You can thank me if you like.

Joke. Just amused by this new feature, most other forums I have been on don't have signatures or Thanks.

I was under the impression that they came with extra loads from the factory cant remember where ive read it but im sure the S3 should run 92 extra load tyres. Might be in the handbook but im not at home at the minute so cant check. I certainly have always ran 225/40/18 92extra load tyres as i was under the impression they were required, you dont want to run a tyre that is under the manufacturers spec, if you were have an accident it would give the insurance company a reason not to pay out.

On that note....insurance for people with aftermarket wheels etc where do you go for your insurance? I'm about to mod my car and need to change.

G

id stick with extra loads if it were me fella..... not that much more and there may be a reason behind why the S3 came with them

All my TDi's have run extra-load tyres as the TDi lump is slightly heavier and they are no more expensive if you shop around a bit.

On that note....insurance for people with aftermarket wheels etc where do you go for your insurance? I'm about to mod my car and need to change.

G

Ive been with Adrian Flux for years, very mod friendly they have always beat the cheapest quote i could find.

Well changed the tires from Rosso's to the new Eagle F1 Asymetric's. What a difference, won't be buying the Rosso's again as these are just so much better and slightly cheaper at £106 per tire opposed to £120 for the Rosso!l

Ive been with Adrian Flux for years, very mod friendly they have always beat the cheapest quote i could find.

+1

They offer the cheapest mod friendly quotes by far.

+1

They offer the cheapest mod friendly quotes by far.

Good to know. Admiral have been very good for me this year, but next year I will most likely be doing a little modding (map, wheels, dampers) so sounds like Flux will be a good move.