Quick battery question.

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hi, i think my battery may be on its last legs. Last night i got in and left the interior light on for about 20 min's, I soon noticed and turned it off and thought nothing of it. Got in it this morning for work and it was dead! Also a couple of months back, i accidentally left the headlights on for literally 2 min's whilst i got money out, when I get in the car it was dead again!! I understand the headlights use a lot of power but 20 min's of the interior light....surely not!!!?

Do you think i should replace the battery, I'm guessing its about 2 years old now. I had a new alternator fitted last year as well.

Allan

Check the charging voltage of the alternator with a multimeter (or get Halfrauds to do it) across the terminals.

As long as the alternator is producing 13.5V + I would suspect the battery is the issue.

This cold weather doesn't help!!

Hi
The best way is to take it to some one how do tyre and battery tests for FREE. The main high street tyre company do this. That way thay can test you volt and cranking AMP. If you have a multimeter check the volts, should be 12v then check again when engine is started this should be 12 -14v then test with some one to start the engine should not drop below 9v. If you do take it to get it tested then ask them to do a drop test this will tell you if you have a sell down. I do these test every time that i go out to a starting fault. Hope this helps Ricky

Yeah halfords have got a proper bosch 2k bat tester, so pull in there to check it mate, if need new then get yourself a Varta Silver Dynamic as they're great batteries, audi do them for a fair price aswell, got mine for 60-70 & the others quoted double that, so result.

Thanks for the info guys, turns out the battery was to blame. Bought a new one and had no problems since.