Quick Question

S3 MCW

Reaction score
Have noticed recently when doing about 50 in 6th gear say and then put my foot down there is like a kind of "chatter" noise from the turbo. Don't get the noise when I change down a gear to 5th and accelerate. Have the B5 TIP and cone filter. Any ideas? Broken DV? Thanks in advance.

oem, will prob change the dv and see what happens - the forge 008?

I would just get another OEM one personally

It's the turbo surging from the increased airflow. Too much air for it to use basically. Nothing to do with the recirc valve

hi george, you sure buddy, would save me some quids if so.

How long have you had the B5 TIP on?

It should also do it in lower gears if you try to accelerate too quick from too high a gear, which puts a lot of load on the engine (so like 30 in 4th, then foot flat to the floor or something like that).

I dare say it was fine before the TIP, the car is unmapped, and it has only done it since the TIP was fitted
?

I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a split hose.

I'd check all the hoses and clips - every single one... then re-check again before splashing out any sort of cash.

You can test your current DV as well to see if it's holding pressure.

It's surge like george says.
Mine did the same, my car was already mapped by Revo when I put the B5 tip on and I was getting surge, so I took the tip off and put the original tip back on and car was fine.
My map would need tweaking to cater for the B5 tip.

thanks for the replies fellas, haven't had the TIP on for long - don't recall it doing this before, but will go check those hoses.

It's surge like george says.
Mine did the same, my car was already mapped by Revo when I put the B5 tip on and I was getting surge, so I took the tip off and put the original tip back on and car was fine.
My map would need tweaking to cater for the B5 tip.

Another quick question. I got my s3 APY mapped by revo with smic's. Now if I fitted fmic would I need map tweaked?

I have badger 5 tip and jetex cone filter and my is stock not mapped either and i dont get that chatter but that chattering noise i did get when my stock dv was faulty

If the car chatters when changing gear, it's the recirc valve. If it's does it when under load it's surge. The two sound quite different though.

Reactions: S3 MCW