2.5 tdi glow plugs?

Cheers James,

i knew someone was going to be along sooner or later to answer my question.

I phoned Audi Southampton today and they sell them for £16.52 each so for that price will probably just get them from there as i can get them on the day.

Glad to know someone has changed them successfully themselves so will give it a go too. Good advice on the soaking overnight idea will defo do that and then try not to rush it and take my time.

Am going to do the plugs and if that does not help my poor cold starting issue i am gonna get the timing looked at by my local idependant garage.

Is yours still cranking over before it fires even in the warmer weather then?

Am going to do the plugs and if that does not help my poor cold starting issue i am gonna get the timing looked at by my local idependant garage.

I did both of those things and it didn't make any improvement. The cars been ok over the summer but I will have to investigate further come the winter I expect.

Yeah mines still very hit and miss.

it seems if the engine block is cold it has trouble 80% of the time. If the engine block is warm its ok 80% od the time.

So gonna try the glow plugs as they arnt to expensive and i should be able to replace them myself (fingers crossed). after that i will see what the garage says or maybe even Audi themselves depends on how deep my pockets feel that day.

Very good & interesting read.
Did anyone actually get to the bottom of their cold starting issues or are we waiting for the obvious...........cold weather :uhm:

Did anyone actually get to the bottom of their cold starting issues or are we waiting for the obvious...........cold weather :uhm:

I reckon in most cases the injector pump is either too retarded or too advanced hence the hard starts in the morning or cold wheather... I have had many v6 tdi and even high mileage ones were first time starters... Only one i have rebuilt the engine ( dropped the compression ratio by working on the pistons and thicker head gaskets ) took a 2 sec. cranking to get it started...

bob had the belts changed and the timing was found to be well out .I now have the car and it starts perfectly every time

well after reading this,
i had my pump changed a couple of years ago and it was fine but got worse starting,baattery ws swapped as it died as generl service items do,
getting more and more ****** off with it,

symptoms were poor cold starts,10 seconds then coughed into life with a big cloud behind it
new coolnt temp sensor,
then 3 injector cleaners it was starting a little better,
checked glo plug powers, replaced all glow plugs
note only 1 was working 5 were duds,
then i whipped covers off and adjusted the pump timing clockwise 5mm and now the car starts perfect hot and cold

Great result.Mines still starting perfectly after Chris did the belts and retimed it.So good to know it will perform no matter how bad the winter