help 3.2 manual whinning

j1mbo

Reaction score
hi a have about a week ago i purchased a a3 3.2 quattro. it a very slight whine when got it but now its very loud and seems to be constant over 30mph. originally i thought wheel bearing but it does not change when going round a left or right bend.
any help or ideas would be very great thanyou

Welcome & swear seen your username before somewhere, anyway.

Have you lifted the corners & checked for any movement on the bearing manually as yet?

Where's it tend to come from, front, rear or middle?

hi thanks for the welcome and reply. you might have seen me on edition38. it tends to come from the front but doesnt change on cornering and has deteriorated so rapidly was thinking possibly not wheel bearing. but i will get her up in the morning check and report back.

Sounds like you have a female version of the 3.2 ! they whine the faster you go as std. turn the CD up....works for me .

lol yea tell me about it.
i jacked her up earlier spun the wheels no noise checked for play top to bottom and nothing. help im starting to get worried this is going to get expensive.

A dry or shot bearing might not show up under no load conditions. I dont think a wheel bearing would whine so much as rumble. Obviously you have checked oil level ( gearbpox and engine ) ..whats the milage ?

Last edited:
yea i have checked the oils and there fine. she has just rolled onto 74,000.

Sorry but its almost imposable to diagnose over the WWW. you might have to take a spanner man up the road to listen to it.

ok thanks for your time mate. will book it in thanks