S3 v TT mk1

Also, if you click on my sig, I pretty much got the perfect launch on that run, I think the other S3 may have bogged down at the start. :racer:

yup tom we'll get it sorted, make it midlands for the RR plz :)

and ive no doubt you'd stay with me mid range if i were standard..... standing start though, just doesnt add up as said..... you coul do with vagging hers, checking MAF readings etc, get yaself a nice LED torch to check under your inlet manifold boost leaks, which is where i failed to check..... the TIP, the turbo exit pipe, the piping around the pressure reg on top of the engine, all weak spots..... DV..... could be loads more things, defo sumat wrong if i was a betting man - hands up if i am indeed wrong :)

I had a K03 A3 1.8T Sport a while back, with AmD remap and Milltek, dynod at 200bhp and it felt slightly quicker than a stock S3 or TT, so wouldn't surprise me if the 0-60 is under 7 seconds. Although I wished I'd got an S3 in the first place...

You can actually tune a supercharged Cooper S to 203/210bhp for about £600-700 (Lohen) as an alternative to buying the newer R56 turbo model, but then you need the brakes doing etc.
Tempted to tune the missus's R53, depending on how much it would cost to change from an R53 to an R56 with the JCW tuning pack (not as powerful as the "real" JCW model, but should be cheaper to pick up). The turbo ones are supposed to be a fair bit quicker than the bhp and 0-60 times suggest.
I like Minis but actually considering a tuned S3 for myself.

Well i got a friends with a 1.8t beattle running a K03S and he has a revo stage 1 software. He wont beat me anywhere. It pretty quick but doesnt have the top end power as my S3.

I would say though that whenever I have had a play with something else, 1st and 2nd the S3 has always been infront but not by a comfortable margin as S3's gear ratio are really short especially 1st and 2nd. As soon as 3rd come it pull very hard with a few extra length.

I wouldnt be surpised if toms a3 keeps up with a standard tt. My brother had the old a3 quattro k03, and his mate the golf gti mk4, both remapped. My brothers mate said the other day that my brother always used to say that the golf felt much faster, and probally was. the tt is only 25 bhp more, and probally .5 sec faster to 0-60. but yer after a certain point i believe the s3/tt will start to pull away.

Oh look, it's Autumn already going onto Winter soon, the roads look more damp than bone dry, byebye A3! Long live the quattro! :moa:

BYE BYE a3 fwd :p

cheers LEgy ;) .....i couldnt post the animated one i wanted cos AS.net wouldnt let me :(

PAul.... the R53's have a stronger bottom(Crysler engine) end so are better to tune but then the R56 can be tuned to 236bhp with just a map, not including the masive restrictive CAT etc etc...that said ive raced both standard with the S3 and the difference is bigger than i ever thought possible (in favour of the new model) - the downer for the R56 is that it has a 206 engine in it and there are early reports of a couple of bottom ends going (due to being weaker)...the new JCW has uprated internals for less than 200bhp which tells its own story

regards the ko3'd mapped A3..... my argument was based on Tom saying that he hammers his misus TT 225 all over....that just isnt factually correct in my mind

Yer your right on that, not hammer. id class hammer as leave it for dust, i would of thought neck and neck untill a certain point.

Club GTI used to use Stealth Racing in the midlands for their RR days, if anybody knows Vince well enough, maybe they could have a word with him? Failing that, I could also have a word with R-Tec to see if they would be interested?

Dont chip and spin do one at Chipped UK in Bromsgrove every now and then?. Pretty sure they do power runs as well as mapping on those days.
:)

LEts do it

T

Oh,I've arranged to have the other halfs TT all day tuesday for some serious checking. I'm quite worried that there's something up with it. I think a problem might be the end of the road for that car so I need to sort it...she's not had much luck with it :(

Club GTI used to use Stealth Racing in the midlands for their RR days, if anybody knows Vince well enough, maybe they could have a word with him? Failing that, I could also have a word with R-Tec to see if they would be interested?

Thats where I had mine done Friday... they are 2wd rollers but Vince can do haldex cars (S3's/A3 quattro's etc), proper quattros are a problem but either way pulling the haldex for a RR run on a few cars takes time and his rollers are a bit of a ****** to reverse in and out of...

Option though...

<tuffty/>

True, Vince's rollers are tricky to get on to, especially now he has the ramp at the back of the workshop too!

R-Tec rollers are easy to drive on / reverse off. They have a lot of positive press from the UKMKIV's forum and are a friendly bunch too. I may just give them a quick call to see if they would be interested in supporting a shootout and at what cost. I remember that their rollers were originally owned by Cosworth or someone similar so should be fairly accurate to.

True, Vince's rollers are tricky to get on to, especially now he has the ramp at the back of the workshop too!
I remember that their rollers were originally owned by Cosworth or someone similar so should be fairly accurate to.

Yes it is a bit tight in there.
I always thought the way the tuners set the car up on the rollers makes a big difference,I went to a RR and it was a 4x4 upto 1000 bhp set up yet my figures were very very generous.

Jase....didnt you suspect a problem when someone 2wd RR'd your car without checking?

I'm sure all RR tuners know how to tweak the roller figures to keep customers happy. Generally speaking, both Vince (Stealth Racing) and R-Tec figures seam to be 'believeable'. I'm up for a RR shoot-out, let's see if we can get a list of names to see how many are interested. Would be good to put a few names to faces from this forum.

Jase....didnt you suspect a problem when someone 2wd RR'd your car without checking?

the 2wd RR was good and accurate the other generous figure is good for pub ammo Tim

yeah i know but you mentioned the car driving funny as the chap RR'd it without asking you by removing the fuse..... there was also something a while back from Haldex themselves saying the only safe was is to disconnect the prop shaft, if not then it should be run without the fuse above 30mph

Oh,I've arranged to have the other halfs TT all day tuesday for some serious checking. I'm quite worried that there's something up with it. I think a problem might be the end of the road for that car so I need to sort it...she's not had much luck with it :(

Check the divertor valve on the TT, this could be knackered, among other things like the MAF sensor or a perhaps a split hose.

i was going to list the things Paul but in my experience it could be anything on that engine..... maf, n75, N249, pipes, hoses, DV....the list is endless