Front Bumper Removal

hodgy0_2

Reaction score
have a TDI Quattro

and need to take off the bumber to replace a duff intercooler

I have removed the 3 bolts either side (on the wing) and loosened the two allen bolts at the front

is there anything else holding it on -- do I need to remove the allen bolts -- was told not to

Cheers

James

(I have also removed the little torx bolts from the lower wheel arch)

yep thanks swine -- got that but

mines not coming away (easily) -- I dont think that article mentions the fog lights though -- so will remove them and try again

maybe its the central bolts he mentioned not undone enough

i removed mine a couple of weeks back and as far as i remember the fogs stay in place. dont forget to pull the lower part of the bumper as it clips in where it meets the front wings. i had someone with me so we wer able to manouvre it off, it can get caught on the six bolts.

...them 2 bolts up through the fog lamp holes are a bitch, I was tugging like a good-un then realised I didnt undo them enough, soon as I did......bumper more or less fell off.ha!!.....its ok, I only wasted 25mins.......:think:

Dont forget the speed clips that hold the belly pan to the bumper ,
the fogs stay in place you just remove the grills and theres a plug on the N/S for the horns and fogs .

yep -- its off

the a4mods link is correct -- I was in the same boat as J7USS

but the drivers side intercooler is an absolute biatch to remove and replace

all done just need to put the bumper back on now

Marc/James : :) yeah I thought that when i posted it id get a 'Cum' back!!:blush:...

Hodgy : Pain in the *** aint it, I took note when it said not to totally unscrew them so I was being cautious, too cautious eh! Putting it back on is **** easy mate. Just be careful when you are slotting the sides in from scratching etc and try and get someone to help you Slip it on instead of doing what I did and didnt ask for a lending hand!

Boozehound - hmmm yeah thinking about it, it was time well spent actually...lol

I just thought I would update this

the a4mods link is correct BUT I am not sure why he says not too remove the bolts -- it just make getting the bumper off that much harder - and longer coz he makes it sound like if you undo them too much you will never get the bumper back on -- not true.

I would remove them completely,

also when putting the bumper back on --- make sure the large threaded nut is screwed right in

the bumper should slide on quite easily, if it doesn’t something is wrong

but the final outcome is my new intercooler is in and the car is running 200% better

I think it was about 45% down on power – with little in the way of boost, as the original one (driver side) has a large crack in it