Ebay intercooler kit

nope but after lots of research and knowing whats gone on ,on here....even without viewing id say a cheap kit is cheap for a reason....

Thank you , but i had already read that thread. Tuffty has done a good write up as well.

I'm really after somone who had bought this ebay kit, and wanted their take on it.

There is someone on here somewhere who has that kit on their A3 and they said it works fine and fits well, cant remember who it is though. HAve a word with Prawn it might have been him.

Thank you , but i had already read that thread. Tuffty has done a good write up as well.

I'm really after somone who had bought this ebay kit, and wanted their take on it.
pm mattm he has that kit as in the linky!

Im also looking at the kit, but have the non-quattro does anyone now if it will fit still?

i thought so, does any company do a kit for the 150bhp model! it seems i have searched everywhere but with no luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emery1990
what fmic are you running, iv also got a an a3 ( quattro) and in need of a fmic, but dont know what route to take, mk4 golf ones fit with some modding, but forge ones being £550?

Hey I went for a cheap eBay one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-A4-A6-...d=p3286.c0.m14

It needed some modding to get it to fit a few pipes needed to be added for the sensors etc but it seems to do the trick now. If I where to do it again though I probally would spend the extra money on a kit that fits first time.

Hope that helps!

looking at this one on ebay too, straight fit on A3 (non quattro) or will i need extra pipes?

Quote:
what fmic are you running, iv also got a an a3 ( quattro) and in need of a fmic, but dont know what route to take, mk4 golf ones fit with some modding, but forge ones being £550?

It needed some modding to get it to fit a few pipes needed to be added for the sensors etc but it seems to do the trick now. If I where to do it again though I probally would spend the extra money on a kit that fits first time.

Hope that helps!

That person had an a3 non quattro, as he said, few extra pipes for sensors etc.

confirmed i need to drill pipe to fit map sensor on and a pipe for n75 take-off.

was this he same with yours, where did you get pipes?

Quote:

Hope that helps!

***. I just replied to this and my PC messed up.

Ignore Timmy, all 1.8T pipe runs are the same, it's just the S3 that's different.

This kit will fit the FWD and quattro models, I've fitted it to both no trouble.

On earlier cars, all you need to make it a map sensor take off, using one of these and come chemical metal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Straight-bras...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0bb9ad09

For later cars with a map sensor, a take off for that is needed, which can be let into the cold side pipework under the drivers headlight, using a single 60mm silicon coupler:
*http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMMAPT

with a small amount of work, it's a really good kit!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got this kit, has worked really well on my car. Had it about a year now running 201 bhp no probs at all.

Thanks every one :icon_thumright: yeah i'll buy it up and i'lll do a write up.
Just to confirm Pipe work the same on both A3 FWD & 4WD. S3 differant.

Thanks every one :icon_thumright: yeah i'll buy it up and i'lll do a write up.
Just to confirm Pipe work the same on both A3 FWD & 4WD. S3 differant.

Thanks and yes, A3 pipework is all the same... S3 very different...

<tuffty/>

It is a decent kit, just without the price of the name on top of it! The kit can work out £300 less then the forge one.

I hope to have this kit with all the extras for sensor take-off, etc at the end of this month so courtousy of Prawn we should have it fitted soon after that and will get some pics up if i can get hold of a decent camera in time.

If you decide to buy this and fit it, please feel free to do a write up with pics for the FMIC thread in the stickies (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=75425) as there are a lot of A3's out there and people are always asking about a FMIC for them

<tuffty/>

yup ignore Timmy as Timmy didn't realise the quattro wasn't a twin intercooler.... might go and kill myself now because my tech knowledge on this car is below the par of some on here..... :)

I don't mind you being condescending Prawn as you clearly have more knowledge based on the fact that you have carried out the work you preach about so often.... what you will realise as you grow up however is the ability to understand irony, in that some people are better than others at some things but are wey below par on other things, I fear that this is the case here as you have clearly had nothing other than your car to focus on whilst living with your parents...

back on topic....good luck with the intercooler btw, personally i wouldnt go that route through what i have read regards quality of coolers welds/inards etc.... but then my reading has been predominently on the S3 and so dif piping as stated above....

let us know how you get on

I don't mind you being condescending Prawn as you clearly have more knowledge based on the fact that you have carried out the work you preach about so often.... what you will realise as you grow up however is the ability to understand irony, in that some people are better than others at some things but are wey below par on other things, I fear that this is the case here as you have clearly had nothing other than your car to focus on whilst living with your parents...

Jesus Tim, I was only being light hearted! no need to take such offense!

not that it's in any way relavent, but I've not lived with my parents for over 5 years, I've got my own house, with my girlfriend, and I work 50 hours a week as a civil engineer for Balfour Beatty.

the audi was never my main focus in any way, it's just a dailly driver for me, my main project is my hillclimb mini. The mods are just to make a fairly dull but sensible practical car a little more interesting to use.

I don't claim to know everything by any means, but I will only ever post when I know I'm right about something and can give helpful advice based on my experience.

You may have noticed I don't post on here so much these days, as the number of interesting thinigs comming up seems to go downhill each week

yup fair comment.... it just sounded very abrupt in how you came across, hence my reply....

***. I just replied to this and my PC messed up.

Ignore Timmy, all 1.8T pipe runs are the same, it's just the S3 that's different.

This kit will fit the FWD and quattro models, I've fitted it to both no trouble.

On earlier cars, all you need to make it a map sensor take off, using one of these and come chemical metal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Straight-bras...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0bb9ad09

For later cars with a map sensor, a take off for that is needed, which can be let into the cold side pipework under the drivers headlight, using a single 60mm silicon coupler:
*http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMMAPT

with a small amount of work, it's a really good kit!

with my car being an early agu 1.8t would i just have to do the first modification for the map sensor take off?
where abouts is this located?

you don't have a map sensor on your Car liam it's the N75 that is common to both the AGU and later engines, and luckily, it's the easier of the two to recreate!

The map sensor is a special fitment, that either requires the purchase of a pipe from forge, and some cutting around and extra couplers, or a boss buying from the states and welding into your pipes.

The N75 however, is just a small nipple type take off you need to drill and tap into the tube up near the turbo. it's dead easy, and the brass nipples can be bought for about a quid on ebay!

Appologies Tim, perhaps the use of a well placed smiley may have portrayed the tone a little better!

i have started to fit this kit had to cut the bumper a bit. have just ordered the map pipe from amd. So liquid metal will be ok for the n75 take off?

i used a threaded brass nipple, drilled and tapped into the pipe (6 or 8mm take off I forget) and then just used chemical metal to seal around the entry point, although it should in theory be air tight already, you can't be too safe

Just to keep the thread up to date, I have changed my quattro since and taking a slightly different route with the FMIC.

I will post a complete guide and write up when finished, along with the Ko3 hybrid upgrade write up.

what is a good intercooler kit seen one for £200 on ebay wanting to buy it soon as anyone gotany ideas tar gaz