FBMFSW again

BILKO1

Reaction score
I'm sorry i realise this has been covered a few times but after searching and following various dead / missing links i've got to ask. I have got a new fbmfsw and airbag off a TTS what other parts do i need. My B6 came with cruise control as standard so if i'm right i don't need a new steering wheel module, do i still need a new slipring? i will also require a wiring loom as the plugs are different is that all i need or have i missed something? There was a really good write up and another forum but half the pictures are missing and these seem quite crucial to the proceedure. Also i'm fully aware of the dual stage airbag problem.

bilko,
yes you need a new slipring, this will have the plug in part on it aswell for the multifunctions, although it has to have a pin swap.
if youve already got cruise then you dont need a new module.

i had mine done a couple of weeks ago and he was just going to mod my slipring, however i already had muti wheel.
very happy with it, a great addition.

02082009140.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a really nice mod,

What exactly is required to do this and what sort of costs are involved??

the norm vrbob,
not much work but alot of ****** money.

it depends on what youve got already,
firstly if your cars not got cruise youll need a new module. about £90
wheel and airbag, around £400 - £450.
new slipring, £160 -£180
someone that knows what there doing with the loom adaptions, ( i used hazzydays, ) £95
recoding.
thats about it mate, i did warn you LOL

hi john,
surely im allowed to show it off at that price LOL

how are you mate, good to hear from you, how have you got on with yours mate?

Cheers 1wheelonly,

Yeah i guessed it wasn't gonna be cheap it is audi afterall. I am gonna try to do the RNS-E retrofit first bit of an **** as i only have single DIN at the mo but its defo worth it imho.

So the wheel doesn't really matter which model it came from then as long as it has the multi function buttons. My car already has cruise control fitted so thats ok but whats this slipring you mention??

hi john,
surely im allowed to show it off at that price LOL

how are you mate, good to hear from you, how have you got on with yours mate?

Hey..all cool here ...your new wheel looks REALLY good - Have not done mine yet.....may go halves with Niknak and get his wheel, DIS and my wheel done by Gareth up near manchester

Cheers 1wheelonly,

Yeah i guessed it wasn't gonna be cheap it is audi afterall. I am gonna try to do the RNS-E retrofit first bit of an **** as i only have single DIN at the mo but its defo worth it imho.

So the wheel doesn't really matter which model it came from then as long as it has the multi function buttons. My car already has cruise control fitted so thats ok but whats this slipring you mention??

the slipring sits directly behind the wheel, it plugs into the module, and the wheel loom/airbag plugs in the front of it and allows the looms to move round the ring whilst steering hence 'slip ring' best way i could think of describing it really.

as for the rns-e retro-fit, just get yourself the double din cage off the bay ( cheaper than audi ) and go for it.
i did mine myself,as i had a single din and had to convert to double, easy job really, just takes a while ( allow a couple of hours )
well worth doing though mate, really completes the dash.

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you know part numbers for slipring and wiring harness i take it they are from the B7 model.

Hi folks....thought whilst I had a Slipring and Control module ready for my B6 style 4 spoke MFSW retrofit heres some pictures....

Slip Ring Part Number is 8E 0953 541D

Steering Wheel Control Module part number is 8E0 953 549 N (although I think the "P" suffix as I have on my car already may also be OK)

The pictures below are the B6 MFSW I am retrofitting, the Slipring on its own, the Steering Wheel Control Module on its own, and the Steering Wheel Control Module connected/mated to the Slip ring

Note that the connector on the Steering wheel side (red transportation protection cover shown still in place) of the slip ring MUST have 12 pins in it for the Multi Function Steering Wheel interface functions...

NOTE : I have no idea if these are the same parts for the B7 MFSW

DSC00013.jpg

ControlModule_3.jpg

ContModuleandSlipring_1.jpg

ContModuleandSlipring_2.jpg

ControlModule_1.jpg

ControlModule_2.jpg

Slipring_2.jpg

Slipring_3.jpg

Slipring_4.jpg

Slipring_5.jpg

Slipring_6.jpg

Last edited:
there no good sat on your worktop jonnyc lol

as for the part numbers, no there NOT the same for a B7

P1020423.jpg

John all arrived so looks like were are on, so when do you fancy seeing Gareth?

Last edited:
Niknak....cannot be next tuesday as getting our central heating boiler serviced....and my 1st day back at work is the 14th Sept.....so can make anytime between now and then :)
How much is Gareth charging to come up to manchester ?

John

Ok I will drop Gareth a line and see when he can do the install, do you fancy coming to Manchester Centre maybe to do some shopping I have a large garage we could use cause it's bound to be raining!!!

Ian

How do you know which slip ring to get is there a part number or something?

Gareth from HAZZYDAYZ informed me of the part number, drop him a line.

Ian

Last edited:
who's TPS Bilko do they have a website?

Ahh i got some coil packs from them when my main dealer ran out of stock. I thought they only sold to the trade not the general public though.

They are trade only normally but i'm in the trade:) Although i'm sure if you went in they would sell to you in the current economical climate. Their retail prices are the same as the stealers but you normally get a minimum of 5% off or a lot more on fast moving parts like service items etc.

Cool cheers for the info will try them if i need to get the slip ring new.

slipring + R8 wheel FBMFSW + airbag + MF control is about £800 according to PJMspeedy... Gareth (@HazzyDayz) gets some serious discounts on the parts and does them: new, inc 2 yr guarantee and installation for about £850.

here's mine ;)

£850 ouch!

I am defo in for the upgrade but gonna try to shop wiseley and with a bit o luck and alot o help gonna do it for a tad less than that.

Does look nice though :)

defintely available for a lot less I was just saying what they were new: airbags are about £200 for the flat-bottomed version if you want to get a reconditioned wheel, then you can save a lot: the round ones are pretty decent and a lot cheaper. the S4 versions (carbon-look) are a bit more and the leather flat-bottom version out of the R8 is the most expensive.... and if you do get one of these 2nd hand, be aware that a lot of them have the paddle-shifter holes... more likely if it's a accident recovery ;)

Yeah seen quite a few different versions of the wheel kicking about so far i like the look of the TT flat bottom wheel.

Also spotted that a few have the paddles/buttons for the dsg gearbox but i have been avoiding them so far although i am lead to believe they work just as well except the buttons do nothing.

i've seen one fitted before: but the paddles were out completely.... jsut a weird gap behind the wheel....

Well managed to get a FBMFSW (Sline version i guess the same as 1wheelonlys), and have now sourced a suitable airbag too so just the slipring to get and thats this part of the shopping list sorted.

Looking forward to getting some parcels now :)

Well managed to get a FBMFSW (Sline version i guess the same as 1wheelonlys), and have now sourced a suitable airbag too so just the slipring to get and thats this part of the shopping list sorted.

Looking forward to getting some parcels now :)

If you have not got cruise control already then chances are you will be needing a Steering Wheel Control Module as well

Correction to my earlier post

My car with Cruise Control already fitted had the Steering Wheel Control Module part number is 8E0 953 549 P fitted - this is NOT compatible with the B6 4 spoke 6 button MFSW.

Steering Wheel Control Module part number is 8E0 953 549 N is compatible with both Cruise Control AND the B6 4 Spoke MFSW. (Mucho thanks to 1Wheelonly who not only supplied the B6 MFSW, but also the Control Module)

For info I sourced my brand new slip ring (shown in the pictures above) from these guys in Germany who also accept Paypal - so its "covered" should it get lost in the post, etc :

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/only-car-parts/

They are worth a shout even if they do not have any currently for sale on www.ebay.de

The part I purchased for my B6

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390072254458&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Slipring in german = Schleifring

And they charge a shedload less than the stealers in the UK !

Last edited:
in case you were concerned.... with teh right parts, control modules and looms, FBMFSW in 4-buttton and 2x click/scroll wheels is defintley compatible with B6 cruise control....