which is best?

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
Which is the best panel filter, standard, pipercross or k+n?

Hey gaz...
A lot of guys will say stick with stock... Numerous reasons, but the main one being that the air intake on the B5's is actually quite good as standard. I've got a K&N panel on mine, the biggest deal with it is to keep it clean and not to over oil it as over oiled it can clog the MAF. The main benefit is if you have the car for a long time, you'll save money on replacement paper filters. I think I've got a small increase in performance with the K&N, not as much through acceleration or top speed, but in smootheness and mpg. Used a K&N panel filter for 10 years now. Probably will keep on using them...

I have been using a pipercross for a year without noticing much difference. I have a new MAF to fit so think I shall revert back to stock

Stock paper.

Filters that require periodic oiling to trap dirt will foul the MAF, if you under-oil, the larger pores will allow dirt / dust to be injested by the intake.

Stock paper satisfies all I need in a filter, and at about £4 per replacement, are not expensive either. I'm yet to see any aftermarket filter, that produces decent power over as wide a band as the stock ones, that have had billions of $$$'s spent on R&D.

Well that pretty much confirms my thoughts. Lunch time, fit new MAF and stock filter. Try it out on way home after work and let you know :)

I'm desperately trying to get back to standard and remove my K&N cone filter! My MAF is just hanging about in the wind!

the flow tests on all teh panel filters ever produced don't prove anything dramatic other than they let too big a particle through and don't actually flow any better.

stock paper and smooth inner airbox for me

Well, stock filter and new MAF fitted, quick coffee and now back to work. Looking forward to drive home, dual carriageway blast :)

Well, stock filter and new MAF fitted, quick coffee and now back to work. Looking forward to drive home, dual carriageway blast :)

Oops, posting comments with phone has caused some duplication:sorry:

Home now......didn't notice much difference with the stock filter and new MAF. If anything it didn't seem to have as much power as before. Old MAF was 2 1/2 years old and I've been having lack of power issues with my car. Got me worried now, been serviced, new plugs, filter, replaced N75, forge diverter valve fitted....was really hoping MAF was knackered :sadlike:

Any ideas?

If you need any TQS help I have one, if you need any info, I had mine on a rolling road recently, and it was making 173bhp so not too far from the original (147k miles!) - also its soon going to need a service so it doesnt have all the new fancy bits yours has!
I'd get something to read fault codes (vagcom or something like that) and see if there are any codes lurking around.
My friend started out business-wise making these units:

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=49

So I get my error codes checked frequently!

Pm me if you need any info

Michael

Stock paper filter, same as they have on many 500+ bhp S4's and RS4's ;)

I have done some testing, OEM filter vs JR filter in stock box. The maf register 6 g/s more air with the OEM filter. It means 6 x 1,2 = 7,2 hp. :thumbsup:

A4 1,8T-98 fwd BSR stage 3