Should I buy an S3?

andy2

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Looking for a new car in the autumn and having driven an S3 last week at a local garage then its a very serious contender. I always loved the way the S3 looks and on the test drive I was impressed by the way it handled and the way it felt like a solid and quality package.

The only downside to the S3 was that it didn't feel quite as fast or sound quite as nice as my current Fiat Coupe.

Ideally I was looking for a car as least as fast as my current car which does 0-100 as standard in 14.5secs. This is enough to keep it nicely ahead of those pesky new hot hatches like the Focus ST, and the odd Porsche Boxter. The S3 (according to Autocar I think) does the same sprint in 16.6 secs - still quick I know, but certainly not quicker than the current crop of hot hatches.

I don't intend to 'willy wave' and race anyone in a hot hatch, but it's just nice to know that if it came to it you would have the edge, that's all!

Now in an ideal world I'd just go out and spend 15k on an old RS2, or an 03/04 RS6, however doing the amount of mileage I do then fuel economy is an issue that can't be ignored, and I just couldn't justify a thirsty 19mpg.

So for me the S3 seems the most practical option - especially as I've read somewhere that it achieves 30mpg in average driving conditions?

Generally I'm not a big fan of modified cars but I've heard that the S3 can be easily chipped to boost power and performance. The questions are though what sort of power is achievable through a chip alone? Will a chip ruin the reliability and fuel economy of an S3? Also with so many chips on the market - which would the best one to get (I'm assuming that they all give different characteristics)?

So its a tough decision - firstly should I buy an S3, and then secondly do I get it chipped?

Andy

s3 is a great allrounder come wind rain or shine. indeed a simple remap will improve the power output. companies usually quote up to 265bhp but your most likely going to see about 250ish bhp. economy wise it depends how you drive it really. i do 75% motorway where i have seen 41mpg when i was really careful from coventry to london, however that drops quite easily to 27-29mpg when driving in london. The remap i have is REVO which gives you an old fashionned thump with the power lower down. if you like a more progressive map there is also custom code. im sure others will be around to comment more on that.

I say get the s3 - but then I'm biased of course. It's a great package - pretty quick (especially if mapped), comfortable, rare, solid build quality, etc. Mine isn't mapped - but there are plenty of guys on here that are - and they see some good power gains, and largely haven't had any reliability issues. And, if anything, it should improve economy if you're driving style remains the same. I'm in SA - so we have our own chipping companies over here - but I'm sure some of the uk members will be able to recommend a good company to look at.

Good luck, cheers

Just hope you've got a deep wallet mate as my s3 has now just breeched costing me the £2000 and thats from january, you may be looking and have no trouble at all but be prepared if you do because it aint cheap to fix.
But yes the s3 is a nice all round car, doesnt excell at anything but does everything well, i get baout 31mpg with normal driving and that includes booting :)

Fiat Coupe weighs in as much as a paper bag, and S3 is 1500KG+ inc driver, it's no wonder it never felt as quick as the coupe. But with the S3, you will not experience wheelspin in the wet again(unless provoked of course).
Remapping will yield around 260bhp which ever model you get, and has little or no effect on fuel economy under normal driving conditions, it will drink more if you are ragging it everywhere you go of course, but as you say 30mpg is realistic.

As for the REVO map.... hahahahahahaha! :)

mapped S3 will do 14's dead on the 1/4mile @ about 98mph so dont worry about pace......

~I have a custom code which is more proggresive than the Revo, it allows for more useable power across the rev range but less of a throw you back in your seat scenario (still feels loads quicker than standard).....i have had a play with a few Revo's and side by side there seems to be nothing in it other than driver preference

economy you will see better fuel economy when mapped, £30 a week gets me approx 160 miles with mediocre driving..... as in normal drive and booting it on every journey when i hit bypass's

most appealing thing is the quattro system, the cars power is useable ALL of the time in ANY weather, spend money on the chassis and it becomes hundreds of times better so im told for dry use too(and have witnessed)

hope this helps....

I came from owning a Fiat Coupe to the S3, so I know your dilemma. The S3 is really is not as quick as the Coupe in a straight line. It has a much more even power delivery throughout the rev range. Where as with the coupe above 3.5k it absolutely flew. I miss that and the engine note.
However the S3 handling is in another league to the coupe and being able to boot it in the middle of bend is some recompense for the lack of speed. Both cars suffer from front suspension wear issues. But generally the S3 has superior build quality.
If your Coupe is still mechanically sound, I wouldn't be in any rush to change it, as you'll end up forking out 7K or so whatever you choose, get 2K for the Coupe and not have a whole lot more to show for it.

Knowing what I know now would I have bought my S3 ?? Yes... Without a doubt, in the price range it sits I really don't think there's a better car, it's plenty quick enough once remapped...I love my car, I don't think I've ever walked away from it without looking back :)

Get the S3 and spend £1,500 on a hybrid turbo and map, should make it a lot faster :-D

Thanks for your advise guys - I'm in no real hurry to sell the Coupe as the past four years of ownership have been great, and its been super reliable for an Italian car too!

I would like to try something different though, and because I'm now self employed then I've now got a much better work life balance than ever before (he says having worked until nearly midnight last night - yawn!).

This hopefully means trips down to the sandy beaches of Wales and Cornwall to go surfing. Mid winter trips up into the icy mountains of Scotland to go climbing and snowboarding, and long weekends away with friends and mountain bikes - s**t I sound like Jamie Oliver!

A diesel estate car would make a lot more sense, but at the end of the day I don't really want a diesel, or an estate (there's plenty of time for both if I ever have kids). But I do need a car that will put up with a bit more 'rough and tumble' than the fragile Fiat and perhaps cope a little better with some occasional sand, ice and snow, whilst still remaining fast and fun to drive in the process.

That's why I thought of the S3, having always admired them from afar (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the S3 and its not actually suitable for this sort of use).

By the sounds of it the chips to go for are either the REVO or the Custom Code? I'm guessing that the REVO might be more like the Kick in the back I'm use to from the Fiat, and the Custom Code is more progressive?

I take it both chips have been proven in terms of long term engine reliability since I'd be probably looking to keep the new car for 3-4 years?

Revo has been used on thousands of VAG cars across the world. The increase in power will obviously put more strain on parts, this is to be expected.

S3 is a lovely car to drive everyday. Mine is used everyday but only about 25 miles. I average about 35mpg.

I just walked into the car-park outside work and went 'Gosh that's a nice looking Audi.' Then thought 'Oh, Hang on...' Happens all the time
smilie.gif

I have had mine for 18months now, and don't regret it at all, except I wish I could have found a Purple or Dark Blue one. with Black Leather...

My only minor gripe is that the Recaros don't tilt and slide enough to get any passenger over the age of 30 in or out of the back without amusement or embarrassment.

Does everything you could ask of it. Go for it!!!!

Cheers,

.........I love my car, I don't think I've ever walked away from it without looking back :)

AAaaahhh - that's soooo sweeet!! (but I know what you mean!! )

Andy, as for the remap, I think it also depends on where you live and probably who's closest to you. There's probably 100's of threads on these forums discussing remaps - have a quick look through.

Main suspects tend to be:
Revo
Custom Code
AMD
APR
MTM
Oettinger
ABT

Probably more, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by missing them out?!!

Try different cars if your not sure but bear in mind Audi ownership can be a quick way to empty your wallet

I just walked into the car-park outside work and went 'Gosh that's a nice looking Audi.' Then thought 'Oh, Hang on...

Yep this has happened to me and still is 3 years on

Literally every time for me, getting a bit self conscious about it these days!

In denial, get yourself some ky and be done with it, she'll understand...Lol

Try different cars if your not sure but bear in mind Audi ownership can be a quick way to empty your wallet

Yep this has happened to me and still is 3 years on

Oh my God. I've got something mentally in common with you Jase. Maybe I'll start with the Jokes next...

SHOOT ME NOW!!!:gun2:

Cheers,

This hopefully means trips down to the sandy beaches of Wales and Cornwall to go surfing. Mid winter trips up into the icy mountains of Scotland to go climbing and snowboarding, and long weekends away with friends and mountain bikes - s**t I sound like Jamie Oliver!

The S3 is definiately more practical than a Coupe, the rear seats fold flat. It also sounds like you should consider an Impreza sportback, as long as you could live with the looks.

I'd go for the S3. Nice quality and practicality in one.

Needs a remap immediately though. Far too slow out of the box!

I've had mine for six months now and can thoroughly endorse all the positive comments so far. I had a VR6 which was great but it was starting to rust and I wanted an S3 to replace it, my wife is on her 3rd A3 TDi Sport and I'm familiar with the build quality. I'd been checking all the usual places for an idea of prices etc but all the better ones were invariably at the other end of the country. When a 52 plate S3 in nogaro blue with black leather appeared in my local Audi dealer I had a look and was convinced, so with no trade in bought it for £9000 which was the average private price. I'd never bought from a dealer before but the salesman gave me their internal service dept. invoices totalling £1600 excl. vat. They replaced discs, pads, rear suspension, bushes, battery, fog lights etc etc I reckon I got a brilliant deal especially as it included 12 months mot, warranty and breakdown cover.
The warranty has seen to a couple of minor (but expensive) electrical problems, drivers door lock and a boot lock and it goes back in on Monday as the fuel gauge is jumping from partially empty to full.
I'm not saying this to highlight problems with the car as it has been totally mechanically reliable and a pleasure to own and drive but rather to emphasise my positive experiences with the dealer as they do get some stick on here. So if you want a car which is different, built like a tank, very practical, fast and economic with a touch of luxury I think an S3 is hard to beat.
(I thought I had a problem with the passenger seat as it was constantly clicking but it was just my elderly mother massaging her back with the electric lumbar support so it can be an invalid carriage as well)