Mirrors

Finally got round to the lacquer today. I am very pleased with how they have come, the finish is pretty good for a DIY job even if I say so myself :) I will give them a few days to go off fully before fitting so I minimise any chance of scratching them :faint:

I have held them up next to the car, and whilst they do look good, I am a bit worried it will just look like silver mirrors on a grey car :3sadwalk:

Emma001.jpg

Emma005.jpg

Emma004.jpg

Im with these guys, they look good mate, get them on and post some pics up.They'll look fine!!

Thanks fella's, will be fitting middle part of the week I expect when I get time as I don't want to rush it!

Fitted them today, at first I wasn't too sure, but within a few minutes they had really grown on me and I am quite pleased with them I think.

What does everyone think?

Emma006.jpg

Emma011.jpg

Emma010.jpg

Spot On Sir:yes:
Now just think how much money you saved from buying the original ones...
Asda Price!

Spot On Sir:yes:
Now just think how much money you saved from buying the original ones...
Asda Price!

juss now there,s a lad who doesnt do asda price on his motors especially with his impending front bumper purchase :)

good job there james

juss now there,s a lad who doesnt do asda price on his motors especially with his impending front bumper purchase :)

good job there james
haha, I know I know, Just wish I could be getting Asda price.
Think its more Harrods at the minute especially with my Full Turbo Back milltek...:blink:

good job there

iv got a set of silver mirror caps off my old A4 . . . anyone want them? not sure what the going rate is for them but open to offers?

cheers

I am thinking of doing some DIY matt alloy effect mirrors. A coulple of questions first, if I may!

1. Does the term "flat back" just mean sanding or emery papering? Is this just to remove the shiny lacquer layer?
2. What is degreaser?
3. Is oven baking necessary?
4. How much do you think a bodyshop wouldcharge to respray them for me? (I dont trust myself!)
Thanks

Hi Dave

In answer to your questions:

1. "Flatting back" means sanding them down with a wet and dry sandpaper. I started off initially with a 600 grade, and ended up using either a 1200 or 1600 grade to finish.

2. A degreaser is a chemical to remove any trace of oil or other contaminants, I used Meguiars Super Degreaser but any will do.

3. I only oven baked the initial coat of plastic primer, but following that I had all sorts of paint compatability issues, this was probably a paint reaction, but I couldn't be sure so didn't bother with the oven again!

4. Any bodyshop wil do it I'm sure, but it's quite labour intensive, so if you were going to do that it would be as well to just buy a pair, unless you can get mates rates! Why not give it a go? Pick up a set of any colour mirror caps from ebay, mine were £10 or £15 I forget which, and just try! If you screw it up just sand off and start again. I found it a good little project personally.

Any questions let me know mate :thumbsup:

Yeah as james says, you really cant go wrong by doing it yourself.Look more or less like the OEM ones BUT saving a Massive Wedge too.

I asked my cousin how much his bodyhop would charge to anybody just walking in and handing them over and he says they would charge minimum £120 for labour and Paint as its a proper accident repair center - a back street you'd probably get them done for £50 odd.

Go for it yourself - You'd be surprised how easy it is but key thing is patients. Always allow plenty of time between coats!