Coolant Light and MPG

T88OMM

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 55 plate A3 2.0 TDI S-Line (140) with 45,000 miles on the clock. Since I have had it the coolant light has been coming every 2-3 days. I am having to put coolant in every time it does obviously.

I know this is not normal and its going to go into a garage but has anyone experienced this before? Anyone any ideas what it could be?

Secondly the car is a quattro and it seems to be giving quite poor MPG. I drove a 20 mile motorway journey last night averaging between 65-70 mph and I only managed to get 39.0 mpg! Does the quattro system give lower mpg than a normal front wheel drive 140 diesel?

Thanks,

Tom

I hope its not the cylinder head thats cracked, the diesels are known to. have you checked to see if there is any liquid under the car or is the radiator wet at all etc?

You will always get less mileage with a quattro due to the extra weight & the drivetrain will sap more power.

I 2nd that, 4wd always lower mpg as its driving 4 instead of 2, tbh 39mpg is not bad really, yes that could possibly be the infamous fault as K has mentioned, but do some fault finding, check in engine bay for coolant leaks over piping as it can leave stains so could help point to issue

Cheers for the quick replies guys. I certainly hope it aint the cylinder head, that sounds very expensive! It is still under warranty from the dealer I bought it from thankfully, only problem is it is 100+ miles from where I live...Brilliant!!

Ouch - sounds expensive.

A3s suffer from leaky rads too so could be that - call audi assistance and theyll come out and take a look and take it to Audi if need be...

Just got back from Audi and it turns out it is the radiator that is the problem and it is all going to be done under warranty. Phheewww!! Thanks for the help guys

Kaz was right, sorted :icon_thumright: