Golf GT TDI 150 Limp Mode?

FazS3

Reaction score
Alright lads?

Mate is looking to buy a golf gt tdi 150 model, the owner has just rang me and said it has just went into limp mode last night.

What could cause a car to go into limp mode and could it be a serious problem?

Car has 60k on it and has not been modified in anyway

Regards

Faz

Limp mode means get home mode, the car will still drive, but pretty much on the lowest power setting with the turbo not kicking in from my experience. It will reset with a simple off and back on of the ignition, and should bring up a fault code under diagnostics. If the car is still in Limp mode after restarting, then I think something is seriously wrong with it and needs looking at. I've had it happen to my Passat TDI about 5 times in 7 years and 85k miles, it's now got over 160k miles, and everytime I reset the ignition, it was fine again.

yeah the fella said it went into limp mode last night and also again today morning, seems like its serious then? isit directly linked with the turbo?

Any other parts that could cause this?

Just as a heads up. If you go to look at the car make sure the cooling fans are working properly. When you turn the aircon on they should run at a slow-ish speed. They should also change to high speed when the car is hot (you probably wont be able to test that in this weather!).

A mate of mine has an anniversary edition TDI and had no end of problems with it.(££££'s). We eventually had to modify the fan control circuit using schematics from UK-MKIV's.(lots of info on there about this).

you lads reckon its even worth going seeing the car though?

he does say he has vw warranty so the car is getting checked on monday.

i just dont understand why it would go into limp mode?

alright lil update on this, the lad text me saying the old turbo recorded a fault and under warranty it is getting a new one fitted.

The car has only 61 k what could cause the turbo to be knackered, considering this isnt exactly high mileage for the car!