Changing a steering wheel

Grunty87

Reaction score
Is changing the steering wheel on a 04 plate A3 much hastle?

I have a TDI sport and the steering wheel is pretty massive. Compared to what i'm used to. I'm not considering anything chav, just a smaller audi item like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-A4-A6-A8-S-line-Sport-Airbag-Steering-Wheel-NEW_W0QQitemZ320301189422QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320301189422&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Although i'm not actually convinced that the one in the link is any smaller. I can't measure at the moment either as i'm away from home for a while.

My steering wheel is similar if not identical to this

audi-a3-turbo-sport-steering-wheel.jpg

Swopping would be very easy but I reckon they will be pretty similar in size.

Doesn't seem to bad really. But i don't think the one in my link looks much smaller, i'm back home tonight so i'll check then. I suppose the other option could be an S3 wheel, but there bound to be expensive.

I actually know Albert the seller from number of previous purchases, if you buy from him its good service, but there are somethings you have to know, you have an older airbag so it wont fit as the wheel you are looking at is the facelift 8L version, you also have to make sure you can swap the backplane over inside the wheel as I dont think they come with them, so be aware of what you want to do, the airbag wiring loom also has to be reversed, so cut & swap the 2 wires over, I did this all on my S3 8L with an alcantara wheel from Albert, worked fine

If you're gonna swap over then get the alcantara version as its not hot in summer burning your hands & not cold in winter.

Just measured my steering wheel and it's the same size as the one in the ebay link i posted (370mm) so that's that idea out of the window.

My steering wheel is actually different from the picture i posted as well, but not massively.