Lowering Question

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
Now that I've decided not to buy the S3 I have another couple of mods in mind.

I really liked the ride height on the S3 so would be interested in lowering my car to the same level or slightly lower. I'm also looking at some 10mm spacers to finish it off.

I was looking at the DPM site and can't seem to make sense of it.

Do I want lowering springs or coilovers? What's the difference? My car has the S-Line suspension which is 10mm lower than the Sport and 25mm lower than standard. The S3 is 10mm lower than my car, so presumably I need to go down 10mm. There are eibach 30mm lowering springs on the dpm site but what do these do? do they lower the car 30mm lower than standard (i.e 5mm lower than S-Line and 5mm higher than S3)? There are also 50/40mm sportline springs which I presume lower it by 40mm from standard?

There also seems to be different springs depending on the engine size.

Can anybody offer any suggestions on what I need? I see that there is a huge price difference between the coilovers and the lowering springs, so obviously if all I need are the lowering springs that's what I'd prefer to do. I don't want to spend a fortune on something that isn't really going to do anything for me.

Also, are the springs something I can fit myself or will I need to bring the car to somebody to do it?

Coilovers replace your current suspension, if you are happy with the current dampers just go for the springs. The Eibachs won't lower it much, as you have already correctly worked out perhaps 5mm ... if you want to drop it lower go for a set around 40mm+ H&R should do the trick.

mine lowered on 50mm H+R's and 10mm rear spacers:
13072008174.jpg

Eibach to two levels of drop, depending on what you want, i'd go for the 30mm but that might not be low enough for you. Mikey's looks good on the H&Rs

mine lowered on 50mm H+R's and 10mm rear spacers:
Looks good Mikey... don't think I'd want to go any lower than that. Are you on 17s or 18s?

Eibach to two levels of drop, depending on what you want, i'd go for the 30mm but that might not be low enough for you. Mikey's looks good on the H&Rs
Yeah I think 30 is not enough since it only equates to a 5mm drop. Hardly worth bothering in my view.

Any views on which ones are better - eibach or h&r, or are there any other brands out there?

im on 18's. ride comfort is much better than it was with the standard springs.

If I was going for 30 I would go with Eibachs, however I'd feel the same as you and on that basis i'd go H & R

Hey guys, this is really bugging me because , Im getting hold of some 19" wheels this week. And my car being a S-Line Quattro 2.0t is causing me some right head scratching, because s-lines are already slightly lowered. Im interested in the H&R springs which on the quattro lower by 35mm, does this equate to 10mm on an s-line, help guys im worried it might not be enough!:sos:

Mike's is on 50mm H&R springs, they also do a 35mm option if you didn't want to go that low.

All springs heights go off a standard car unless otherwise stated.

HTH

Damian @ DPM

Like Damian says, the H+R 50mm drop wont be 50mm drop on a S-Line, more like 35-40mm I reckon.

Just remember that the A3/S3 is slightly lower at the rear so if you went and bought a spring kit that lowered equally front and rear your car would look slightly baggy at the rear Imo.
Look at Mikey's car which is lowered the same front and rear (no offense Mikey, was just a quick example...!!).
I mean if you prefer that look it's the way to go. I considered the Eibach 50/40 spring kit because of that. That way you'll get the more agressive stance with the front 1-3 mm's lower than the rear...Just my tuppence...

Your shocks will also take a harder beating with the shorter springs...

I have had the 30mm eibach springs fitted and you can't notice the difference really to the standard S-Line set up, height wise anyway, ride wise there is a world of difference.

My ride height is the same as it was although the springs do need settling in but i an't see them going much lower, i opted for the 30mm drop as i like the car to be practical, my old Polo was uber low and i couldn't really use it properly.

G40Mk4_7.jpg

G40Mk4_8.jpg

My Old Silver Polo along side my weekend Polo G40 which i still have.

mk4_6.jpg

Coming out of the driveway everytime...............

The ride on the eibach springs is soooooooooooo much better than the harsh S-Line springs, so much better at absorbing bumps etc.

i have the koni FSD springs and shocks on mine the ride is really good and it lowers it about 35-40mm
i would have loved coilovers but they are not pratical for me :(

DSC_0013.jpg

Bump for old thread.

I'm thinking to get my car a lowering kit.
But i run into small problem.

JustCharlie - 25/30mm H&R set
023-1.jpg

Paul_c - Eibach Sportline 50/40
n_side.jpg

Less lowering kit looks much lower :confused:

Eibach sport-system suspension kit
E75-15-007-04-22
E75-85-014-09-22
Two identical spec kit's for same car.

Difference is between 50mm and 55mm difference in front shock/strut tube.

Anyidea will there be any difference with one i buy? 50mm, would give 5mm more room for wheel.
Has anyone measured stock tube size?