Change of Plan- 1.8T 163

A8UK

Reaction score
I was originally going to go for a 1.8T 190 Sport or the S-line model but i have decided against it now. I have decided to go for a 1.8T Limited Edition instead now.

The main reason is of price. The 190 Sport are around 2003 go for £8.5-9.5k and the s-line are around the £10k mark. The 2004 1.8T limited edition's go for around £8k.

£2k is a lot of money, the limited edition has the s-line kit, alloys, sport seats, etc. The only thing i can see that it dont have is the half leather seats, aluminium trim and obviously different engine.

Have i missed anything off, whats the 163bhp engine like? I will be getting it remapped to around 200bhp.

The engine wont set the world on fire, but if your getting it remapped to 200bhp do you think you might be better considering the quattro? I know where there is a good 03 plate 163bhpTSPort quattro with full black leather and 18" OZ wheels for sale if your keen? :eyebrows:

Dougie

Quattro would be nice but its not essential, also they command a big premium over the FWD models. I do all city driving so cant see it being much help.

Also there loads of cars with 200BHP+ that are FWD. MK5 Golf GTI, Focus ST, Type R

Quattro would be nice but its not essential, also they command a big premium over the FWD models. I do all city driving so cant see it being much help.

Forgive me for asking then why on earth would you bother spending money on making the car faster when you obviously dont need it??!!!

Its mainly to improve the mid-range response. I currently drive a golf TDI. Im getting rid of the TDI as i dont do the mileage to justify the diesel.

if you can get a 2003 190 for 8.5 then its only 500 more than the le at 8k

I had the 163 1.8T LE Avant (in Akoya Silver) and loved it to bits. had it remapped to 200bhp and was like a different car.

Dont be put off by the 'small' bhp figures and only FWD, it's fine. You don't need quattro unless your talking lots more bhp and/or torque and even then it's debatable. It's largely how you drive for that to matter...

The saving you're referring could be spent on a remap, etc...