Fair Swap?

joshxs

Reaction score
Just been offered an 03 plate A3 TDI sport 130 with 93k on the clock for a straight swap with my S3 (2000, 107k, leather, bose etc)

Can't decide whether it's a good deal or not???

Also, its upto you, are you looking to get rid of your car, and is this the car that you want???

on the surface it looks like a good deal...just have a peek on auto traders and find what both are fetching.... best indicator i find, most people cant value a car through glasses or CAP guides because very few cars fetch book prices....

If you do need a free Glasses guide price use the one under owners section on the www.vauxhall.co.uk site - it will give a trade in price but it is useful for comparison.

Yes, I agree Glasses guides etc are usually nowhere near what people actually pay.

I don't really want to get rid of the S3, but it will save me a fortune in fuel, and we all know that petrol prices are only going to go up. Going up to leeds this weekend for example, normally burns a whole tank @ £65. Tdi should be nearer £35 for the same journey

I was umming and ahing about either an A3, both new and old shape, a mk4 golf, or maybe spashing out and buying a 1 series bmw.

I would imagine an '03 TDi would be much easier to sell in the current climate? So I could always go ahead and then swap it over in the next 12 months or so?

IT sounds like a reasonable enough deal to me tbh - an 03 plate tdi 130 wit those kind of miles will fetch 8-8.5k imo on the other hand - i've driven both the 118 and 120d's and they're brilliant little cars, tight on room but that doesn't matter to me as im not that tall and have nobody to go in the back!I'd drive one, it might make up your mind for you

There are a lot of TDi's about and not that many decent S3's - would have thought either will sell just fine if they are priced right......

Why dont you sell your S3 then look around the market place at TDi's on offer....BMW 3 series, A3's, Golfs, Seats etc will all be within range and you can take your time and find the best example - even if you have to rent a Ford Ka for a cpl of weeks whilst you r looking...

its a costing exercise like you say..... but if the diesel is worth between 8-8.5k, then id go for it, S3's are fetching that on 51/02 plates face lifted- though i am unsure if yours is facelift? so that could be a deciding factor. Just have a look to see what each is fetching mate.... mid price.... the high prices arent worth viewing because of the dreamers that are trying to sell, the lowest arent gonna do you any favours.... and no offence GT, the price on vauxhall website will be a price to get you in the door.... about as accurate as parkers guide which is designed to sell books (i used to work for Vauxhall many moons ago)

Went to fill up diesel into my Passat at Shell the other day, price was EXACTLY the same for a litre of derv as it is for Shell V-power! Keep the S3 mate haha, if you do the maths and see how much you will actually lose swopping cars, maybe it's actually worth stretching the extra £££ to drive the S3 if you get what I mean, but having 400+miles range per tank is very useful if I'm being honest. :racer:

I get around 300-320ish miles from a tank, spend roughly £170 a month on fuel. On the whole, I think it's fair to assume an oil burner will do 50% better on average. So, hopefully will get 450-480miles from a tank. So I should be spending around £110ish a month.

So I save £720 a year, not a massive amount. But that would pay for a flight to OZ! I love the performance of the S3, but these days it's getting harder to get your foot down. Average speed cameras are popping up everywhere! :(

yea but look at all the fun you have in an s3 for £720 over a diesel!

get the tdi and get it mapped!

Over 550 miles to a tank, and 300lbft of torque for shits and giggles....

It's really no fun driving down the A14 in rush hour! I get to do a whopping 55mph most of the time!

Car doesn't have climate, or even air-con for that matter! I had no idea Audi would do such a thing! Suddenly the idea becomes a lot less tempting.....

If I punch out the floor pans and use my feet, does that mean I can avoid the congestion charge?!

I'm a bit gutted TBH, was hoping the drive up to Leeds at the weekend would have been in my cheap diesel! Looks like I will have to take the S3, shame :)

oh dear...never mind..... i think the loss of handling alone wasnt worth the swap, let alone the poweer....for what you would have saved

what about a lpg conversion on the S3? - it may take a couple of years to recover the cost though?

what about a lpg conversion on the S3? - it may take a couple of years to recover the cost though?

Yeah, thought about this. But the initial expense put me off, i'm sure the government will but the taxes up before long anyway!

If you could do it for less than £500 I might be tempted, but £2000 is an awful lot of petrol. Everyone seems to have a negative opinion of lpg.

Have put it up on the 'trader for £7,500, so will see what or if anything happens.....