Audi A3 1.8 T Sport

Mr OCD

Obsessive Car Detailer
Reaction score
Website
www.obsessivecardetailing.co.uk
Hi Guys...

I am after a 1.8T Sport to replace my current 200sx... from what I have read so far there seem to be a few variations of the model... can anyone tell me which is the best one to buy?

Its important its good on fuel (at least 30mpg+) and that it can be mapped to at least 200bhp... else I will get bored easily... :icon_thumright:

Any help appreciated...

Scott

you wont get over 30mpg unless you get the 150bhp 2wd 1.8T car.....and mapping this to 200bhp would, i guess throw it under the30mpg mark.....if you could map this to 200bhp (never tried when i had mine so unsure what you'll get it to) wont be far off i shouldnt think

You need a PD130 diesel fella, map them to 180 with bags or torque an still near 50mpg.
You will get better fuel consumption crusiing on a K04 car, ie s3 or Leon Cupra R, TT 225 etc. The K03 turbo is very restrictive to flow and hence knacks the feul consumption to under 30.

PD130 is quite a good engine
I get 29 mpg with a revoed S3 and thats with my athletic self in the motor :laugh:

simch said:
You need a PD130 diesel fella, map them to 180 with bags or torque an still near 50mpg.
You will get better fuel consumption crusiing on a K04 car, ie s3 or Leon Cupra R, TT 225 etc. The K03 turbo is very restrictive to flow and hence knacks the feul consumption to under 30.

Trouble is £5k is my budget ... I wont get a PD for that...

Go post face lift for a start...depends on when you drive and where for MPG...and remember, you don't buy a car like this to save on Money...!

Clach said:
Go post face lift for a start...depends on when you drive and where for MPG...and remember, you don't buy a car like this to save on Money...!

I do a 70 mile round motorway trip daily ...

Agreed you dont but hoping for 10mpg more from the Audi than I get from the 200sx as I just can resist using full boost all the time :o.k:

Mr OCD said:
Can see all in my Signature if you follow the link :)

that's means joining a nissan website and I'm not sure if I can sink that low.:jester: :jester: :jester:

get some posted :icon_thumright:

1animal1 said:
you wont get over 30mpg unless you get the 150bhp 2wd 1.8T car.....and mapping this to 200bhp would, i guess throw it under the30mpg mark.....if you could map this to 200bhp (never tried when i had mine so unsure what you'll get it to) wont be far off i shouldnt think

Going to have to disagree on this one big time guys!

Me and Frenchman have almost identical cars, although until recently, mine was running a revo stg1 map, and his was standard.

I got better MPG in almost every situation. on a run I get around 8mpg more than his, around town its the same, and going for it mine is no worse than his.

My economy went up massively when I had the revo map, as its just more efficient than standard.

a well mapped AGU engine will produce 190bhp, 220lbft, and return an easy 38mpg on a run and 32mpg around town :)

Prawn said:

Me and Frenchman have almost identical cars, although until recently, mine was running a revo stg1 map, and his was standard.

I got better MPG in almost every situation. on a run I get around 8mpg more than his, around town its the same, and going for it mine is no worse than his.

My economy went up massively when I had the revo map, as its just more efficient than standard.

a well mapped AGU engine will produce 190bhp, 220lbft, and return an easy 38mpg on a run and 32mpg around town :)

Im no expert on this subject heading as i havent ventured this path i just automatically thought you'd be w6rse 6ff........Has anyone got an S3 remapped that has had the same effect on mpg?

Prawn said:

I assume thats on the 2WD 150bhp version? - Do you have a KO3 turbo or KO3s?

If I can get that mpg then its definately the motor for me... would love the Quattro version but they seem thirstier and also for my budget it would have 90k on it ...

Is it worth getting over the 2wd version or not do you think?

My car: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/330954.htm

yup tis clean, nice looking car mate....... ive just traded my 2wd K03 car in and loved it....standard car..... would recommend to anybody...... although not sure if your coming out of a car like the nissan

1animal1 said:
yup tis clean, nice looking car mate....... ive just traded my 2wd K03 car in and loved it....standard car..... would recommend to anybody...... although not sure if your coming out of a car like the nissan

I've had a few people mention that... the fact is the 200sx is TOO fast for the roads :cool: and drinks petrol too much for its own good...

I'm after something thats nippy, sporty, reasonable on fuel and prestige that I can use for work and the Audi A3 seems to tick all the boxes :icon_thumright:

Once I have sorted the new car out I will be getting a project for the track anyway :rockwoot:

Hi

I owned a mint 200sx for two months and hated it, its great having 200BHP, its not so great when you cant use it, IMO the cars are death traps and I got bored of putting up with the crappy handling so it went and I changed it for an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport.

The 200 was a bit quicker in the dry in a straight line but the Audi kills it for wet/damp performance and the handling is much better, not to mention the interior is far superior.

I got mine for less than 5K, I dont think you will regret the move, I dont.

Bong Water said:
Hi

I owned a mint 200sx for two months and hated it, its great having 200BHP, its not so great when you cant use it, IMO the cars are death traps and I got bored of putting up with the crappy handling so it went and I changed it for an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport.

The 200 was a bit quicker in the dry in a straight line but the Audi kills it for wet/damp performance and the handling is much better, not to mention the interior is far superior.

I got mine for less than 5K, I dont think you will regret the move, I dont.

The handling of them in standard form is poor due to poor damping... some decent dampers and uprated roll bars sort them out :icon_thumright:

I've had mine for 4yrs now and is fitted with Racelogic Traction Control that makes a huge difference but I want a change... and always loved the old A3 shape... especially with some nice wheels :hubbahubba:

Whats the quattro like on fuel?

Budget is up to £5k... :icon_thumright:

Yeah I looked into uprating the suspension but was coming out to expensive for a car I was to unsure about.
I have to say I have never hated a car so much, it lasted two months before it went and I am just glad I got my money back for it!

Anyway, each to their own and all that! :icon_thumright:

The Audi is much better on fuel than the 200, its a little slower but mines a bigger A4 with AWD so its expected but its the fact that the power available is so much more useable than the 200's power.

You will find an A3 Quattro for under £5K I am sure, mine only has 55K on it to so they are about if you look hard enough, mine took a month to find, scouring the trader every day!

:yes:

Bong Water said:
Yeah I looked into uprating the suspension but was coming out to expensive for a car I was to unsure about.
I have to say I have never hated a car so much, it lasted two months before it went and I am just glad I got my money back for it!

Anyway, each to their own and all that! :icon_thumright:

The Audi is much better on fuel than the 200, its a little slower but mines a bigger A4 with AWD so its expected but its the fact that the power available is so much more useable than the 200's power.

You will find an A3 Quattro for under £5K I am sure, mine only has 55K on it to so they are about if you look hard enough, mine took a month to find, scouring the trader every day!

:yes:

Fair enough - they arent for everyone and they take skill to drive fast... it took me nearly 2yrs to be able to handle it properly and drive it to its limits but its not been without its 'oh *****' moments sometimes in the wet hence the RLTC... the Wife hates it though... :)

I'm not expecting any A3 to be anywhere near as quick as my 200sx (mine packs 282bhp / 297lbft) but I do want something more refined and good fun on the twisties... but its essential it does at least 30mpg... pref closer to 35mpg on motorway runs as the A3 will be used for work mileage ... something the 200sx isnt... and I dont want diesel.

Due to the cost of running the 200sx in fuel I use a Pug 306 D turbo... a great car in its own right but its not refined by any means and I'm sick of looking like a 'pauper' in the company car park :)

I'd prefer to spend around £4500 leaving £500 for a remap if possible... dont mind a car with 80-90k on it either as long as its immaculate :icon_thumright:

Your not going to get performance and 30 MPG's mate, its just not going to happen. My standard 180BHP 1.8T Quattro does around 26mpg with a mix of normal and spirited driving. I am putting £100 of fuel in it a month. It is a lot less thirsty than the Nissan although I was seeing my ex when I had the Nissan and she lived 15 mins down the motorway so it got a pasting often.
The Audi is not the most economical car to be honest, but for a big car its quick and comfy and the AWD had predictable safe handling which I like coming from the 200sx which had me bricking myself on many occasions in a short period of time, I still dont know how I didnt kill myself in that thing.

Bong Water said:
Your not going to get performance and 30 MPG's mate, its just not going to happen. My standard 180BHP 1.8T Quattro does around 26mpg with a mix of normal and spirited driving. I am putting £100 of fuel in it a month. It is a lot less thirsty than the Nissan although I was seeing my ex when I had the Nissan and she lived 15 mins down the motorway so it got a pasting often.
The Audi is not the most economical car to be honest, but for a big car its quick and comfy and the AWD had predictable safe handling which I like coming from the 200sx which had me bricking myself on many occasions in a short period of time, I still dont know how I didnt kill myself in that thing.

You have the 1.8T quattro A4 though dont you? - its not really comparible to the A3 which is both smaller and lighter?

Spent a lot of time reading up and most places seem to agree a chipped 1.8T (2wd) will do around 32-36mpg on long trips... I know the Quattro is obviously going to be thirstier which is why I'm considering the 2wd instead but if I'm only going to see 26mpg then I might as well keep the 200sx ... :scared2:

Mr OCD said:
You have the 1.8T quattro A4 though dont you? - its not really comparible to the A3 which is both smaller and lighter?

Spent a lot of time reading up and most places seem to agree a chipped 1.8T (2wd) will do around 32-36mpg on long trips... I know the Quattro is obviously going to be thirstier which is why I'm considering the 2wd instead but if I'm only going to see 26mpg then I might as well keep the 200sx ... :scared2:

Sorry yeah the 2wd will be a different kettle of fish, had it in my head you were looking at Quattro when I posted. I still think those MPG figures for the 2wd are to high, my mates Leon doesnt get that.

I was looking at the quattro but higher mpg due to 4wd has kind of put paid to that... might as well buy an S3 if going to consider the quattro...

So its going to be a 2wd 1.8T sport... its just finding a nice one with some decent options...

Surely 30mpg + is possible from a 150bhp 1.8 engine?!!!

Sure it is, depending on the will power to drive like a granny constantly! And you mentioned remap and I dont care what these companies say, remap = more fuel

I know its vague lads... but what mileage do you guys with 1.8T (2wd) get to £10... at current petrol prices?

Just curious as worked out both my cars...

200sx - 40 miles to £10
306 - 90 miles to £10

Roughly obviously...

Bong Water said:
Sure it is, depending on the will power to drive like a granny constantly! And you mentioned remap and I dont care what these companies say, remap = more fuel

Going to have to disagree with you there... as my own remap on my 200sx gave me an increase of 2-3mpg over standard :respekt:

Strange, however I am only going on my mates Leon Cupra

i normally put V-power in mine but couldnt find it anywhere.

I stuck 15 Quids worth of unleaded in i got nearly 100 miles out of that?

Jason