What Will Be Your Next Audi?

unkle said:
I saw a D3 Alpina in Hagley, Brum. It had the Alpina stickers on it, looked awful. No need for them imo, anyone with an interest in cars can tell by the wheels if a BMW is an Alpina variant.

No side stickers on the UK one.
All you get is an Alpina sticker on the front spoiler, which I would happily lose, and an Alpina badge on the back.

bowfer said:
No side stickers on the UK one.
All you get is an Alpina sticker on the front spoiler, which I would happily lose, and an Alpina badge on the back.

The Decal on the front has to go (IMHO), think it would look totally out of place on a black one.. (I think you said yours was going to be black)

200bhp in a diesel should feel very fast. Just not very fast LOL.

I had a 155 TDCi chipped to 180-85. It felt rapid but in real terms the acceleration is not that great, due party to the short powerband (2000-3500). the quoted figures for the car standard was a 0-60 of around 9.7, so the bhp would have brought it down to perhaps 9ish. Another downer for me is the sound. I dont like the sound of a diesel AT all. The worst was the morning startups. OMG black smoke and a tractor for an engine, it did wear off after 20 mins though.

Petrol is for people who ar'nt constrained by company car policies, or the cost of fuel.

L60N said:
200bhp in a diesel should feel very fast. Just not very fast LOL.
I had a 155 TDCi chipped to 180-85. It felt rapid but in real terms the acceleration is not that great, due party to the short powerband (2000-3500).
Petrol is for people who ar'nt constrained by company car policies, or the cost of fuel.

Not sure I follow your first line...:ermm:
Anyway, I suspect the 'short powerband' thing you mention is why Alpina change so many parts, rather than simply chipping a standard 320.
I'm sure they could chip a standard (177bhp) 320 up to 200bhp easily, but it maybe makes the short powerband worse.
Hence they change the intercooler, injectors, complete turbo unit, exhaust etc.
So whilst it obviously still has a shorter powerband than a petrol car, it's better than you average diesel.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with your last statement either, it's too simplistic.
There are people out there like diesels for the way they put their power out.
My wife, for example, hates revving cars.
So she loves diesels.
There are also those of us who hate visiting petrol stations every 200-250 miles, and who like being able to do long journeys without stopping.
It makes a fair difference to your journey time, believe me.

There MAY be people who like diesels, but i can guarantee its not for the way they put power down LOL!

Its for cheapness or the fact they are tied in with company car mileage.

As far as filling up, well, i'd rather fill up a few more times with petrol and leave with clean hands than fill up with diesel and end up with sticky stinky diesel all over my hands, as always happens.

My first statement meant that the car felt fast (torquey) but in real terms wasnt really that fast at all (8.5-9)

Just hope they open your D3 powerband up a bit... And try not to be put off by the horrendous clatter from your engine in the mornings ;)

Now you see thats where you are wrong. A nice torquey denzel makes for a much more relaxing drive.

People choose diesels for the effortless drive in many instances.

J.

L60N said:
As far as filling up, well, i'd rather fill up a few more times with petrol and leave with clean hands than fill up with diesel and end up with sticky stinky diesel all over my hands, as always happens.

Thats why petrol stations have those disposable gloves at the pumpts to avoid that...

marriedblonde said:
Now you see thats where you are wrong. A nice torquey denzel makes for a much more relaxing drive.

People choose diesels for the effortless drive in many instances.

J.
Ah but....

Why not have a nice torquey turbo-charged petrol engine ? That also gives you an effortless drive !

Without having to wear gloves in a petrol station :moa:
(I always laugh at those people)

I like a big dollop of torque thrown at you low down the revs. Its much more useable power in a diesel. But if I did a few less miles so wasn't as fussed about MPG then I'd probably have bought a 2.0T

L60N said:
There MAY be people who like diesels, but i can guarantee its not for the way they put power down LOL!

Laugh it up, but you're wrong.
My wife likes small cars.
Petrol versions are gutless little twats of things.
So she went for the turbo diesel option, specifically because she doesn't have to rev the tats off it.
She only does 6 miles per day, so economy wasn't a major issue.
It's just an added bonus to the better power delivery.

I like driving my diesel, gives a nice thump in the back for overtaking.

But I miss chasing the red line, so I'll go going back to petrol!

Either an 8L S3, or an A4 1.8T Cabriolet :O

mfspen said:
Only true for normally aspirated engines.

Yes, but I've sort of covered that in saying that she only likes small cars.
You don't get many turbo petrol engines in 'Clio' size vehicles.
If you do, they tend to be top of the range sports versions, which my wife wouldn't be interested in (nor would I).
So, you're left with NA or TD.
Her 1.5Dci Clio puts out 86bhp and 200nm torque.
The next petrol engine available at the time puts out 76bhp and 105nm.
Half the torque.
Even their new petrol turbo unit, which wasn't available at the time, only puts out 145nm of torque.
So she can make surprisingly rapid progress, for a small car, without having to rev it daft.

Guttless what??? No need to swear. :)

Most people will agree with me that petrol cars possess much smoother power delivery and generally are faster, more evenly balanced machines.

You can keep your CO2 emmissions, i dont need to justify mine to anybody.

Bowfer, if you could afford it, and your company didnt dictate what car you must drive, you'd have an m3 over a D3 ANY DAY.

You DONT have to rev the "tats" off a petrol to get acceleration LoL. I have not had to do that since my 1.0metro!

L60N said:
You DONT have to rev the "tats" off a petrol to get acceleration LoL. I have not had to do that since my 1.0metro!

Good grief...:keule:
It depends on the engine.
A 5 litre V8 won't need revving, no.
A small NA engine will need revving more than it's turbo diesel counterpart though.
Twice the torque, produced at half the revs.
You simply cannot argue with that.
I'll add an 'lol' too, seeing as you think it 'adds' something to an argument.:confused:

L60N said:
Bowfer, if you could afford it, and your company didnt dictate what car you must drive, you'd have an m3 over a D3 ANY DAY.

How true. I had a B3 and a D3, they were both bad decisions that I only realised when I had got the M3!

If diesel owners were honest they would say they buy the car for economical reasons. All this talk of diesel power is just rubbish. You just cannot justify buying a diesel because it is more powerful than its petrol sibling.
Diesels have improved but I think we may have a wait some time for the first production diesel Lambo or Fezza. There is a very good reason they use petrol as their choice of fuel!

Bowfer, weren't you wasting some pretty quick cars in your wife's clio on the back roads (I think I remember that from a while back?)?

With the D3, what will you be leaving behind this time? Zondas and McLaren F1s???

Only kidding ;)

A guy at work has a D3 in black too. Very smart but I do agree with removing the decal from the front splitter - it just looks pants. Other than that its a nice machine IMO.

How long till you get it?

L60N said:
Most people will agree with me that petrol cars possess much smoother power delivery and generally are faster, more evenly balanced machines.

Thats debatable. Smoother possibly depending on the engine although honda's diesel is a pretty smooth bit of kit.

Faster? Hmmm in day to day driving I wouldn't say that is necessarll the case.

In my car I still have to swop the cogs against some of the diesels to be quicker.

J.

Moisty said:
If diesel owners were honest they would say they buy the car for economical reasons. All this talk of diesel power is just rubbish. You just cannot justify buying a diesel because it is more powerful than its petrol sibling.
Diesels have improved but I think we may have a wait some time for the first production diesel Lambo or Fezza. There is a very good reason they use petrol as their choice of fuel!

Firstly, your first point is pish.
Of course there are people who buy diesels because they prefer the 'lazy' way they put their power out.
People who tow caravans/boats are just one example.
To suggest everyone drives a diesel because they're 'tight' is such old fashioned ********.
Secondly, supercars still have petrol engines because their drivers have a whole different set of criteria from Mrs.Miggins in her Micra.

C_Audiboy said:
Bowfer, weren't you wasting some pretty quick cars in your wife's clio on the back roads (I think I remember that from a while back?)?With the D3, what will you be leaving behind this time? Zondas and McLaren F1s???Only kidding ;)

Yeah, some 'all the gear, no idea' in a Caterham.
If there are equally clueless drivers out there in Zondas, I dare say I might stand a chance in the D3.:laugh:

bowfer said:
To suggest everyone drives a diesel because they're 'tight' is such old fashioned ********.

I did not suggest that. Maybe that is your view, not mine. I said for economical reasons, very different to being 'tight'.

bowfer said:
Of course there are people who buy diesels because they prefer the 'lazy' way they put their power out.

I agree, enough said!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Moisty said:

Not quite up to the same level of a Ferrari or Lambo but you will have no doubt seen the new V12 TDI R8 concept...

Moisty said:
I did not suggest that. Maybe that is your view, not mine. I said for economical reasons, very different to being 'tight'.

Semantics.

Err...lol....

bowfer said:
Semantics.

Err...lol....

I was about to explain the difference to you, but then thought "there really is no point is there, it is clear you just don't WANT to understand".

I hope you like your M3, sorry B3, sorry D3.

lol

bowfer said:
Secondly, supercars still have petrol engines because their drivers have a whole different set of criteria from Mrs.Miggins in her Micra.

Dont call my missus "Mrs,Miggins" she likes her Micra SPORT :think:

dipstic said:
Dont call my missus "Mrs,Miggins" she likes her Micra SPORT :think:

I like them too, but the missus can't get past the 'old person' image that the Micra has.
Doesn't help that my mother has one.:)

bowfer said:
I like them too, but the missus can't get past the 'old person' image that the Micra has.
Doesn't help that my mother has one.:)

Mrs Miggins Micra

Mrs Miggins

Alpina are clearly testing the waters.

I mean, kevving up a diesel by sticking on go faster skirts and stripes does NOT make it any more appealing to me, quite the contrary.. I think i'd rather have a go with Mrs miggins

marriedblonde said:
I dont know whats worse dipstic, the fact you had access to the picture or the fact you felt compelled to post it up here...

Isnt that normal for a 25 year old then?:faint:

L60N said:
I mean, kevving up a diesel by sticking on go faster skirts and stripes does NOT make it any more appealing to me, quite the contrary.. I think i'd rather have a go with Mrs miggins

An Alpina is about as 'kevved up' as your S3.
In fact, the actual modifications are probably pretty damned close.
Body mods ( check )
Different wheels ( check )
Different suspension ( check )
Different turbo ( yes on D3, assume so on S3 )
Different injectors ( as above )
Different intercooler ( as above )
Different interior details ( check )

Your missing the point.

ITS A DIESEL!!! LOL

Its like putting a shellsuit on a granny... WRONG!

I bet when your down the pub telling your mates about what car your getting you say "Im getting and Alpina" not "Im getting a Diesel Alpina"

case closed