What Will Be Your Next Audi?

grathies said:
The BMW 1 Series are for people that realllllllllly want a new BMW but cant justify the price tag of a decent model!

You are joking aren't you? Do you know how much a 1 series coupe 123D actually costs? £25K basic! add metallic, leather and a couploe of other options and your looking at £28.5K and thats not including the Nav...

The 1 series has got to be one of the ugliest cars of the moment

The 1 series coupe reminds me of those Jap micro-cars?
It's seriously small.
Must be well quick with the 123D engine though.
It's actually the more modern engine than my Alpina, but that doesn't bother me.

marriedblonde said:
You are joking aren't you? Do you know how much a 1 series coupe 123D actually costs? £25K basic! add metallic, leather and a couploe of other options and your looking at £28.5K and thats not including the Nav...

Im not Jo King, Im Ryan ;)

Not talking about the Coupe, Im talking about them in general. Nasty, 'cheap' for BM but still overpriced for what they are

Who needs Nav anyway, a map and a sense of direction and adventure should come standard with a new car!

grathies said:
Im not Jo King, Im Ryan ;)

Badum tishs :)

grathies said:
Who needs Nav anyway, a map and a sense of direction and adventure should come standard with a new car!

No one, but add Nav and it's a £31K car - Ouch!

I agree the basic 116's with poverty spec are aimed at those who just want the badge!

bowfer said:
It's seriously small.
It's actually the more modern engine than my Alpina, but that doesn't bother me.
I wouldn't buy one though, mainly because of the practicality.

There is also the fragility of the 2.0D engine. Have you seen the massive thread on the BMWLand 3-series forum on the 320D ?

Apparently, they are prone to the plastic inlet manifold disintegrating, which then gets ingested, trashing the engine.

bowfer said:
It's seriously small.

Nice cars those Alpinas, just pray the Alpina bits last cos you WILL have a nightmare trying to deal with ALPINA!
When I say nightmare, I really just mean long and drawn out, they do you sort you out, eventually.

M

mfspen said:
There is also the fragility of the 2.0D engine. Have you seen the massive thread on the BMWLand 3-series forum on the 320D ?

No offence, but I've seen some massive threads on here.

Excessive oil consumption.
DPF problems (behemoth of a thread, that one)
Excessive coolant consumption.

I'll be keeping the Alpina for 3 years/36000 miles, so I'm fairly confident I'll be fine.
Two of those years are under warranty anyway.
Only two year warranty with the Alpina, as it's classed as an import.

bowfer said:
No offence, but I've seen some massive threads on here.

Excessive oil consumption.
DPF problems (behemoth of a thread, that one)
Excessive coolant consumption.

I'll be keeping the Alpina for 3 years/36000 miles, so I'm fairly confident I'll be fine.
Two of those years are under warranty anyway.
Only two year warranty with the Alpina, as it's classed as an import.
That's true, but I don't think any of the threads on here relate to terminal destruction of the engines.

However, it may be that the Alpina has a completely different manifold anyway (being twin turbo), so it may not be an issue.

mfspen said:
However, it may be that the Alpina has a completely different manifold anyway (being twin turbo), so it may not be an issue.

Is it a twin turbo?
I know Alpina fit a different turbo.
So possibly a different manifold, very true.:thumbsup:

bowfer said:
Is it a twin turbo?
I know Alpina fit a different turbo.
So possibly a different manifold, very true.:thumbsup:
Ah, I assumed so - being so powerful.
Might be worth checking.

mfspen said:
Might be worth checking.

Can't find much specific detail about the upgrades.
Just 'uprated' Garrett turbo, different injectors and intercooler.
I suppose it's unlikely they go to those lengths, then keep the same manifold.

mfspen said:
Might be worth checking.

So powerful?

Isn't the D3 less than 200bhp?

If mated to the auto box it will feel even less!

Mind you I suppose power is subjective.

bowfer said:
Can't find much specific detail about the upgrades.
Just 'uprated' Garrett turbo, different injectors and intercooler.
I suppose it's unlikely they go to those lengths, then keep the same manifold.
A bit googling confirms it is indeed a single turbo. So, a remarkable performance from a single turbo diesel.

I guess the reliability thing is less of an issue for a company car ? If it goes wrong, they just have to fix it or replace it.

Moisty said:
So powerful?

Isn't the D3 less than 200bhp?

It is, at 200bhp, the highest bhp/litre diesel available (in standard trim).
200bhp is enough for me.
Enough for most people, I would venture.
Apart from S3 heroes who want to go fast in a straight line...
Flame on!:p

bowfer said:
It is, at 200bhp, the highest bhp/litre diesel available (in standard trim).
200bhp is enough for me.
Enough for most people, I would venture.
Apart from S3 heroes who want to go fast in a straight line...
Flame on!:p

I wasn't having a go at the Alpina, I love them, have had one. Just I do not consider 200 BHP to be "so powerful".

But then the A3 2.0t that i have just bought has been my least powerful car for about 10 years now. As I said, it is a subjective subject.

I would also suggest the primary reason for buying a diesel is not power, but economy.
Power may be second on your list, but not top!

Moisty said:
I would also suggest the primary reason for buying a diesel is not power, but economy.
Power may be second on your list, but not top!

Top of my list, being a company car buyer, is emissions.
I like to get the best car I can for the lowest Co2.
You simply cannot get decent petrol engines that compete.
For example, your car is around the 186 g/km level, and about £24500?
So it's quite conceivable ( I haven't done the calculations, but I can) that I could pay more in tax for your car than a £28500 Alpina.
I must admit though, I do like the tank range you get with diesels.
I really wouldn't enjoy going back to topping up every 250 miles, or less.
Last time I did that was with my Golf 1.8T, or Alfa 156.

Economy is top of the list for my wife's car though, 100%.
She only cares what a car looks like, and colour, so I'll always choose the cheapest to run option within those parameters.

I have an E320 CDi right now and it's best featur without a doubt is filling up every 700-800 miles!

It means I only see a petrol station 20 times in a year.

I know what you mean about the company car and diesels. I have just decided not to go in to my company car scheme and take the cash allowance instead. I can get more car for less money and I do not have to worry so much about c02 levels.

I buy turbo diesels for the on the road torque coupled with the economy. An unbeatable combination as far as I'm concerned. But then, I'm not interested in trying to demonstrate who must have the biggest todger at the traffic lights.

FWIW (yet another subjective post) I think that alpina is butt ugly. I think they looked nice on the older 3series. The 3 series has changed since then. But the styling with alpina has not. It is soo mid 90's it doesnt fit the car at all. Im talking the wheels, the skirts and the go faster stripes :puke2:

assuming its this car:

water.php

L60N said:
FWIW (yet another subjective post) I think that alpina is butt ugly. I think they looked nice on the older 3series. The 3 series has changed since then. But the styling with alpina has not. It is soo mid 90's it doesnt fit the car at all. Im talking the wheels, the skirts and the go faster stripes :puke2:

assuming its this car:

No stickers on the UK models, but everything else is there.
****** lovely.:hubbahubba:

Actually, the more i look at it, the more its growing on me. Without hte stickers it does look pretty tidy :icon_thumright: Will they be doing a coupe version? Would make a very nice mile muncher

I don't like the 'dynamic' wheels, as fitted to the grey one above.
I prefer the 'classics', as fitted to the blue one.
My black one has the classics.

I think it's aggresively handsome!. The problem for me is it's a saloon so limiting its usefuleness. I need to make weekly journeys to the tip with the spoils from my land so need an Avant type car. I sat in and around loads of 3 series type cars before I bought the Audi. I was interested in the Touring but the thing that put me off was the seeming austerity of the package. The doors closed with a thunk and they were reassuringly expensive, but to bring them to a civilised standard seemed somewhat over the top. No paddles either, unless I went for the monstrous sized engine.

Mine should look like this.
Wirth regard to trim, they have everything I need.
Climate, part leather (don't like full leather),MFSW,CD with aux-in,rear parking sensors etc.
Besides, you get tasty other things, like blue dials and other Alpina interior touches.

I think the Alpina is very colour sensitive. The 3 series doesn't suit that blue but the alpina styling makes it look worse. The black and they grey look lovely.

Perhaps I am a little biased as I did look at a black one last year...

The dealer has a grey D3 in the showroom, and I admit I was tempted to ask them to process the paperwork for that one instead, and let them sell my black one.
Not as if there's any difference in trim to worry about.
It was the wife that stopped me.
She, probably quite rightly, suggested I'd tire of the grey faster.
That's not a reflection on the colour itself, just my fickle nature.

bowfer said:
The dealer has a grey D3 in the showroom, and I admit I was tempted to ask them to process the paperwork for that one instead, and let them sell my black one.
Not as if there's any difference in trim to worry about.
It was the wife that stopped me.
She, probably quite rightly, suggested I'd tire of the grey faster.
That's not a reflection on the colour itself, just my fickle nature.

LOL...I'm jut boring with my choice of colours and love black!

marriedblonde said:
I think the Alpina is very colour sensitive. The 3 series doesn't suit that blue but the alpina styling makes it look worse. The black and they grey look lovely.

Perhaps I am a little biased as I did look at a black one last year...
Just goes to show there is no accounting for taste.

I think the blue one looks the best (well, provided you don't go round the back and look at its Primera tail-lights, obviously), while the grey/black ones look worst !

I used to be a bit 'scared' of black but if there's one thing I've learned from this forum it's how to clean cars properly!
Black holds no fear now, bring it on!

Visited my dealers yesterday. They had a left hooker of the New A4 in the showrrom for a couple of days just as a show piece.

Looks a stunning motor vehcile it was the standard SE version. Looks very much sportier than the current model more angular than rounded ... perhaps following the BMW styling manual.

Appeared lower to the ground.

Discussed the options with my mate there on owning/ordering one.

Jesus! if i want a S line in metallic then i'd be looking at 27k! Thats a heck of a lot of cash. Can order one now but Audi not confirming Sline orders till at least April/May delivery in August...
Car looks great obviously not driven one but the price is very off putting at the moment.

RedSportback said:
Jesus! if i want a S line in metallic then i'd be looking at 27k! Thats a heck of a lot of cash. Can order one now but Audi not confirming Sline orders till at least April/May delivery in August...
Car looks great obviously not driven one but the price is very off putting at the moment.

Which engine is that with?
I had to dismiss the new A4 as an option, because of it's feable 143bhp diesel.
That and the fact the roadtests were a bit lukewarm.

i would have a new RS4 cabs :hubbahubba: think they look the part, i dont think the R8 has the appeal of a ferrari or lambo.

Well, now Im no longer with the MOD so for the time being no more Audis for me!

I bought the Fabia when I returned to the UK due to it being a cheap all rounder, want to sell it in April and get a White CTR import, need to own a Type R and do a lap of the Ring before I hit 30.

I saw a D3 Alpina in Hagley, Brum. It had the Alpina stickers on it, looked awful. No need for them imo, anyone with an interest in cars can tell by the wheels if a BMW is an Alpina variant.