Boxster Calipers (Rear)

Dave B

REALITY?.... WHERE AM I AGAIN?.... WHO AM I AGAIN?
Reaction score
Does any one know if the 4pot brembo rear boxster calipers are the same as the fron ones? theres loads on ebay? and my brakes are up for replacement so thought id do the lot?

Dave:icon_thumright: :nyah:

no, but they will work nicely and are cheaper than the fronts anyway.
I have 4 pot Cayenne rears...brand new with pads £180!

No - theyre spaced for much narrower discs (~20mm) and have significantly smaller pistons which without sufficient checks could potentially could screw up your bias.
Smaller pad surface area too.
Good reason they're cheaper IMHO.

GT3 rears or 996T rears are actually the same as Boxster S and 996 C4/C2 fronts though so would be more acceptable.

no

boxster rears will not work, they will fit, but the pistons are far too small, so you wont get any power at all.

Sadly, me, Dave_Bayern, and Frenchman all bought a set thinking we were onto a winner, before finding out the pistons just are not big enough :(

Ah well, I sold them again for £210 last week to a guy with a mk2.

why wouldn't they work?
Thinking about the size of the pistons comment above, two small pistons are still going to be better than one medium sized piston.
Somebody on here had the dimensions of the pistons and they still work out slighter bigger than stock.

also, check out audiworld tech articles.
The disc width limitation on these calipers is the metal pin that acts as a guide for the pads.
These are machined down to accept wider discs when fitted to other cars

here: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/

you may have to test fit different pads or ones with a mm or two shaved off
anything will fit if you have the time.

No, piston size is the thing.

They have a smaller surface area, the thing you have to remember with sliding pistons is all calculations for surface area must be x2 to account for the sliding motion.

I think its something like 5000sq mm for the standard piston and 4300 for the porsche ones. Couple this to the fact that the smaller brake pad doesnt contact the whole disc no matter how you try and you have less friction area, less piston area and thus a worse system than the standard 312mm brake setup.

The s2 community have been playing with 996 calipers for many years.
Most people accept the theory that 996 rears are not ideal solutions.

However, there are some that have tried the 996 rear setup on their fronts and swear by the results.

Have a read http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13849 for more info.

Personally I wouldn't go there. If the science isn't right, I wouldn't want to be the one who suffers when the physics takes control in a situation. Just because someone has done it - doesn't make it right.

So in short nope and use some propper fron end units, however i presume the front enders are ok?

Thanks for the input though guys!

I have a set of rear boxsterbrembo callipers, repainted with new decals, which would fit on the front if you wanted to use them, althougth the callipers are a lot smaller on the pistons than boxster front callipers.

I also have a set of Brembo 6 pot callipers, off a turbo cayenne for sale, once again fully repainted to a very high standard, with new porsche Decals, these are absoloutly huge, the same as whats used in the ECS tuning kits. They can be used with r32 disks, but you will need custom brakets, which can be bought of ebay.de, or get some one like reyland engineering to knock some up.
PM for prices.