Going in for Remap on Saturday

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi guys car is booked in at CC Storm for saturday, Is there anything i should be checking over before i go down there? The car has been filled up with over 20,000 miles of V power so not problem there lol.

Only mods are a Full miltek With custom backbox and sport cat, BMC CDA with 3 inch Cold air feed and a forge 007P.

Just wondered if there was anything i should check before i go down there? Im hoping they dont turn round and say they need to send the ECU off becasue i cant be with-out the car for 2-3 days but fingers crossed eh.

I'll get round to going down the K03S route when i find one!

Oh and slightly off topic is a VW MK4 GOLF GTI 1.8T higher on insurance than an A3 1.8T im guessing so because of the GTI badge?

Cheers

No i think the a3 1.8T is actually a higher group than the golf so will be more expensive to insure

Just checked they're both group 14 so shouldnt be much difference in insurance cost at all.

If there is any it'll more likely be down to the value of the car or security fitted(which should be the same)

the 1.8T A3 150 and golf 150 are both IG14, the golf usually costs a tad more to insure because of the GTi badge.

As for checks Jason, just make sure its running well!

Personally, I'd go with an oil and filter change, and new plugs if they haven't been done recently.

Just make sure its on general good health, and all should be well mate!

Also, if they dyno it, you can expect to see over 200bhp, as the roller at storm seem very 'happy'

I saw a RR day there with almost all the standard VR6's making over 200bhp. and chipped AGU golfs making 205+

its not real, but it counts down at the pub for sure!

Should pull like a train when its done :)

good luck!

dont bother with phase 2 Jason, its pointless on a ko3 really, especially if you are going with a ko3s in the future.

by going phase 1, you will get just abotu the best from the ko3 anyway, and probably see 190bhp with your mods, and WELL over 200lb ft of torque. it'll fly, dont you worry.

then, when the time comes up upgrade again, whack a ko3S and FMIC onto your current setup, and get phase 2 for a MASSIVELY reduced price (due to already having phase 1) and see a happy 240bhp :)

As per the Jabba remap thread, it'd make good sense to ask them what checks they do before they remap it, (pressure test, vag-com) so you can be sure they're not laying a map on a less than healthy car.

A3_Turbo said:
Hi guys car is booked in at CC Storm for saturday, Is there anything i should be checking over before i go down there? The car has been filled up with over 20,000 miles of V power so not problem there lol.

Only mods are a Full miltek With custom backbox and sport cat, BMC CDA with 3 inch Cold air feed and a forge 007P.

Just wondered if there was anything i should check before i go down there? Im hoping they dont turn round and say they need to send the ECU off becasue i cant be with-out the car for 2-3 days but fingers crossed eh.

I'll get round to going down the K03S route when i find one!

Oh and slightly off topic is a VW MK4 GOLF GTI 1.8T higher on insurance than an A3 1.8T im guessing so because of the GTI badge?

Cheers

Well good luck, you will love it! They will run a health check on the car, before they go ahead with the remap. No doubt you will deal with Miles, they are a nice company and never short of a cup of tea. Are you waiting around or leaving the car with them? They have a wireless network, so take your laptop if you waiting around! ;)

Jampublic said:
Well good luck, you will love it! They will run a health check on the car, before they go ahead with the remap. No doubt you will deal with Miles, they are a nice company and never short of a cup of tea. Are you waiting around or leaving the car with them? They have a wireless network, so take your laptop if you waiting around! ;)

Got to agree with Jampublic on that one. Also as long as you haven't had a Revo or Another 'free' trial then you should be good to go.

Having an AGU, its not possible for Jason to have had a free trial before, as they’re not flashable via the data port.

The problem will be if his car is really early AGU, when they had a ‘1 time flash’ ECU, although these are generally only 97 cars.

My May 98 car was able to be done without opening it up, so I am sure Jasons 99 car will be totally fine. His ECU will be bench flashed most likely, although APPARENTLY revo can now upload maps onto some AGU’s entirely via the data port, although its not ‘flashed’ in the same way as a newer ECU.

The guys at JKM certainly did not remove my ECU when my car was revo’d, and knowing how great Custom Code are, I’m sure they will be able to sort yours on site too J

Enjoy it mate! Once I’ve got mine mapped at Storm I will take you for a blast, and then you will want a ko3S!

Had my S3 done at Storm a couple of weeks ago and it's fantastic! As predicted however, I had a coil pack failure a week later, althought the Audi roadside man said that it was probably down to the cold weather. Only downside is that my wife has said that if I get any points, the car goes... mm..

Felon said:
Had my S3 done at Storm a couple of weeks ago and it's fantastic! As predicted however, I had a coil pack failure a week later, althought the Audi roadside man said that it was probably down to the cold weather. Only downside is that my wife has said that if I get any points, the car goes... mm..

Hey there mate, want to ask you something, what signs came up when the coil pack failed? did any warning lights come on? or did you just notice a difference?

A3_Turbo said:
The trusty A3 is getting on just hit 88k Miles now!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

forgive me whilst i regain composure having fallen off my chair.

88k? getting on a bit?

my beast passed 150k on sunday night driving back from paris, and absolutely perfect, and about to get a 60bhp raise :)

HTC has been running 230bhp for ages, and his AGU is on 170k!

88k is barely run in man!

yup, you sure have!

seriously though, 88k is really NOTHING on these engines, mines at 150k, and never skips a beat. doesnt use oil or water, doesnt rattle or smoke under load, and generally drive like a brand new car.

sure, the suspension falls apart around it, but the engine just goes on and on!

Hi Defratos - yes I got a warning light - it was the orange engine shaped one. There's no explanation for it or decription of it in the handbook. Accompanying the warning light was an obvious loss of power... It was the pack in cylinder 3 that went. I just called Audi roadside assistance when I got home and they came out first thing the following morning and replaced it. They said that for cars over 5 years old, they would replace the packs with no labour charge but would charge for parts (c£25). Under the circs I might order one and keep it in the boot just in case. I watched him do it and it looked pretty straightforward.

All this talk about coil packs and a suspicious misfire on mine last week got me to have a gander at mine the other day. And sure enough number two had popped up an inch out of the head. How do they do this, what makes a coil pack push itself off the top of the plugs?