140 v 170

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
What are the main differences between the 140ps and the 170ps engine. I know the injectors are different but what about the turbo and other oiley bits ? 140's are easier to find but the 170 with a remap produces very good figures !

170 has the dreaded DPF....
Maybe that's what the 'D' is for.
Dreaded Particulate Filter.

I would be wary about remapping a 170. Thought most companies were having trouble with them.

I've owned both a 140 and now a 170 and I much prefer the 170. It's more free reving than the 140 and quieter and generally a little more fun to drive. MPG is less (around 46-47 for the 140 and around 40-42 for the 170). As far as the DPF is concerned I personally have had no problems at all. It does allow the twin exhausts to be straight rather than turned down.

h5djr said:
As far as the DPF is concerned I personally have had no problems at all.

Would you comfortably recommend a 170 to a friend/colleague though, David?
Or would you be crossing your fingers they didn't get a problem car ?

Would you comfortably recommend a 170 to a friend/colleague though, David?
Or would you be crossing your fingers they didn't get a problem car ?

Yes. I would tell them that some people on the Audi forum have had problems with the DPF on the 170 but personally I'd had no problems and that I like the 170 very much and would recommend it.

I would also tell them that the DPF is standard fitting on all diesels, both 140 and 170 sold in Germany and many other EU countries.

h5djr said:
I would also tell them that the DPF is standard fitting on all diesels, both 140 and 170 sold in Germany and many other EU countries.

Why would you tell them that though,when it's not relevant to UK models ?
Surely the accurate response would be

"170 may have DPF problems,140 doesn't have a DPF to worry about"

Ive had my 170 for just over a month and done 3 thousand miles. The car has gone into regeneration mode twice, but if i hadn't have read the 170 thread, i would not have even noticed, the only thing that was different was a slightly raised idle (150 rpm) and it wasn't any noisier.

I only noticed it because i was looking out for it.

Whilst I accept that a number of forum members have had problems with the DPF on their 170s I'm not sure that the problem is that widespread.

The reason I mentioned about 170s in Audi's home market of Germany is that if a very large number of 170s in this market were having serious problems (the engine are the same after all) I sure we would have heard about it. Whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago on a cruise on the Rhine I met 2 Germans who also drove 170 A3s and, whilst they both looked in to Audi forums in Germany, neither was aware of any major problems with DPFs on either 170s or 140s.

It seems that there are at least as many members on this forum alone who are not having problems as those who are and it seems that at least some of those who were having problems have now got the problem sorted.

Spin140 said:
I thought the DPF problems only arose when remapping and even then only on random cars ?

No, I'm 100% sure most/all of the owners reporting DPF problems have standard motors.

I thought it was standard cars that were affected and also that its everything with the 170 engine, the occassional problem like this wouldn't put me off, but does anyone know the mechanical differences ?

I have heard the main probelm with the DPF is people drving the car in "save fuel mode" and short jorneys , by save fuel i mean , careful acceleration , correct gears , anticipating things ahead so you dont have to stop.

This sort of driving will not build up enough constant heat to allow the DPF to regenerate ,(burn off the stored paticulates) which will lead to the light comming on

im sure with my personal driving style (drive it like you stole it)
there would be no DPF regeneration issues

on the sides of remaps , if the map is causing lots of particultes (black smoke, unburnt fuel) then i imagine the DPF will not be designed to handle this increased ammount , which leads to such problems as the DPF catching fire !!!

as for mechanical differences

the 170 is totally different
its a commom rail fuel management system , not unit injector or PD as the 140 , Audis common rail is not the same as other manufacturs common rail systems , Audi' s has higher injection pressure in the same way the old PD pump duse engine had the advantage over its competitors with its 2,200 bar peak injection pressure

common rail injection systems have a high pressure pump , which maintains a fuel rail at injection pressure , this allows the electronically controled injectors to inject fuel at any point ,

where as the PD pump duse or Unit injector has combined pump and injector units , these are operated via an overhead cam , which is timed to halve engine speed .

the 170 also has 4 seperate ECU's compared to just one ECU in the PD 140, the 170 has one ECU per piezo crystal injector , which allows very fine metering of the fuel, tailored or each individual cylinder

as for bottom end , the 170 has balancing shafts to allow the engine to run smoother