Remap at 125k miles

Bula_82

Self Confessed Nightmare!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice really.

Thinking of remapping my 2000 1.8t, only, its got 125k miles on it, which works out loads of miles a year.

The person I bought my springs off of also does re mapping but advised when I asked about it he wouldn't touch it because of the milage and incase it went wrong.

Is he right to be cautious, what milage have you had yours mapped at, and do you think its safe to do so on mine?

TIA, Sheryl

Can be done mate, we just wouldn't push it too hard. You have to bear in mind the most likely thing to go would be the turbo and intercooler. If it is the original units on the car then they are probably past there sell by date now and could already be on there way out.

I'm quite close to you, give me a call on 07756 190026 if you want to talk about it.

Thanks, Mark

I had a previous 1.8T Golf chipped by APR at 23k miles and sold it 3.5 years later with 112k miles and it was still as sweet as a nut. I never had a single problem with the car (engine related). I think the remaps are still fairly conservative in terms of recommended operating envelopes so I think that, as long as the car is sound now and has been well serviced, then a chip wouldn't be any cause for concern.

Then again Sheryl, if it blows up a month later don't come shouting at me :)

The problem we have here is history of the car, and how the previous owner drove and looked after it, you just don't know...
For Marms case, you obviously looked after your car and got use to the power, so you probably didn't boot it everywhere after having it remapped for 5k miles. You just get use to the power and use it when needed, but we all know a newly mapped car gets a good ragging for the first 1k miles, because it's fun! :racer:

LOL at Marms.

They are my main concerns, TBH, the woman before me used it for business and she got rid (apparently) because she was pregnant, so I doubt she canned it but I’ll never know for sure.

I was talking to my mate about it the weekend and he says not to risk it, but I’m still tempted

What’s the worst that could happen, has anyone had stuff go wrong after a map?

Mark, thanks, I can’t make many personal calls at work, but I’m on call for them the weekend so if it’s quiet I might give you a bell :)

The worst is if the turbo or intercooler are weak they could go, but they would already be on there way out if they do. We only up the boost 6psi on normal maps, to blow a good intercooler you'd probably need to go up about 15psi maybe more. The best that could happen is you'll be pushing out a lot more GG's, be getting more MPG and have a big smile on your face.

Call me whenever, I'm pretty much available til 10pm most nights.

Cheers, Mark

Bula_82 said:
LOL at Marms.
What’s the worst that could happen, has anyone had stuff go wrong after a map?

Mark, thanks, I can’t make many personal calls at work, but I’m on call for them the weekend so if it’s quiet I might give you a bell :)

mark: 2 psi? i assume thats a typo..... my 1.8T went from 6-7 psi standard, to 14-15psi on a revo stage 1 map.

i had my 1.8T remapped at 130k, and its now on 148k 6 months later with no issues at all. I took the turbo off 2 weeks ago and it appears to be in perfect condition, no discolouring, and almost no play in the shaft at all!

however, the guys at revo did say that if it had been on the original gearbox, it may have been a different case. mine had a new box at 129k, so was all set with a new clutch as well for the remap.

That said, its now at 148k, and running a ko3S turbo, milltek turbo back with sports cat, forge TIP, DV, and cold side relacation kit, with a decent FMIC and its going into Storm for a remap to around 240bhp in a few weeks time..... Ive got no worries about it taking the power at all.

you do get used to the power of the map after a while. At first, its all flooring it everywhere and 20mpg, then, when things calm down, as jojo said, you learn to just use the power when needed, and mpg generally tends to increase after a good remap, which is a bonus!

get your car mapped, 125k isnt an issue at all really, Dave_Bayern had his car super chipped up to 130k, and now with a ko3S running 240+bhp its still on the original gearbox, and when i drove it, the box felt almost as tight as my new one still!

I had mine remapped at 115k. Everything original on the engine.
No problems, runs fine and stll peaks at 19psi.

Prawn, Yes sorry bit of a typo there, I've edited it now.

And as you pointed out if the clutch is original, (you've done well or alot of motorway miles) they there is a poss this may start to slip. It's like anything with cars, If you look after them they will look after you.

Cheers Mark

Chip-n-spin said:
The worst is if the turbo or intercooler are weak they could go, but they would already be on there way out if they do. We only up the boost 6psi on normal maps, to blow a good intercooler you'd probably need to go up about 15psi maybe more. The best that could happen is you'll be pushing out a lot more GG's, be getting more MPG and have a big smile on your face.

Call me whenever, I'm pretty much available til 10pm most nights.

Cheers, Mark
Am I glad I won't ever consider ChippedUK or a ChippedUK dealer to even touch my car.

So you are saying 15psi would blow a good intercooler?

Which car are we talking here?

A remapped K03 from most major remapping agents pushes approx 15psi

A K03s reaches approx 15-17psi

And a K04 17-18psi.

Regarding the mapping, standard boost is approx 7psi, upping that by 6 makes 13psi, and a K03 car at 13psi feels near enough standard.

You are somewhat ill informed for someone offering such a service....

Prawn said:
That said, its now at 148k, and running a ko3S turbo, milltek turbo back with sports cat, forge TIP, DV, and cold side relacation kit, with a decent FMIC and its going into Storm for a remap to around 240bhp in a few weeks time..... Ive got no worries about it taking the power at all.

get your car mapped, 125k isnt an issue at all really, Dave_Bayern had his car super chipped up to 130k, and now with a ko3S running 240+bhp its still on the original gearbox, and when i drove it, the box felt almost as tight as my new one still!

I’m not very, well, not at all, technical so that doesn’t mean a lot to me.

Had a new clutch at the last service, as far as I know the gear box is the original

Didn’t think Dave’s had that many miles on it, mind, it is 5yrs older than mine so could probably justify the amount of miles.

I'm saying you'd need to up it 15psi maybe more, so you'd be running at 22psi plus. It's an estimate, having never pushed a Standard intercooler on a 1.8T (150) that high wouldn't know. What I was mearly trying to point out is we stay well within limits of the car.

A 6psi would still give about 40-45hp and about 60-70nm torque.

Thanks for you comments.

Dave_Bayern said:
Am I glad I won't ever consider ChippedUK or a ChippedUK dealer to even touch my car.

So you are saying 15psi would blow a good intercooler?

Which car are we talking here?

A remapped K03 from most major remapping agents pushes approx 15psi

A K03s reaches approx 15-17psi

And a K04 17-18psi.

Regarding the mapping, standard boost is approx 7psi, upping that by 6 makes 13psi, and a K03 car at 13psi feels near enough standard.

You are somewhat ill informed for someone offering such a service....

Chip-n-spin said:
I'm saying you'd need to up it 15psi maybe more, so you'd be running at 22psi plus. It's an estimate, having never pushed a Standard intercooler on a 1.8T (150) that high wouldn't know. What I was mearly trying to point out is we stay well within limits of the car.

A 6psi would still give about 40-45hp and about 60-70nm torque.

Thanks for you comments.

Now I have another comment.

22psi!!!

22psi is 1.5bar, on a standard turbo this will be stressing the turbo and the engine to incredible levels.

Most stage 2 remaps only go to around 20psi at the absolute most.

just out of curiosity, what boost does the revo map run on the S3?

I read somewhere that on low boost setting with the SPS3 its 1.3bar peak and with the boost set to "9" high, its 1.5bar.

Does anyone know please?

I would be interested to know the power the Revo puts out of an s3 when on High setting too.

Cheers

So what I said in the first instance was correct?

Dave_Bayern said:
Now I have another comment.

22psi!!!

22psi is 1.5bar, on a standard turbo this will be stressing the turbo and the engine to incredible levels.

Most stage 2 remaps only go to around 20psi at the absolute most.

No!

Have you actually read what you have written.

Before the edit, you looked like you know nothing about remapping, then after, you STILL look like you know nothing about remapping. How can you misstype 6psi as 2psi?

Regardless, your information is 100% incorrect in every respect.

You most certainly are keeping ChippedUK at the level of knowledge I have grown to expect from them.

Notice how I keep typing ChippedUK in every post, this is because the more times i type it, the more chances there are google will find the link.

Prawn, off up to Storm next week to get the car serviced and such. I am seriously tempted by the Custom Map; you mentioned the gear box; mine is still the orginal at 146k. Never thought about this component before! What is the normal life of such a gearbox?

Looked at doing the clutch and flywheel both have covered 60k, but as the last lot lasted till 93k I'm hoping this could last out.

Still got my Samco TIP to fit but I may get them to do that at the same time. Also looking at getting the TCS155 2 hose kit as well. Have you fitted such kits all round; just intrigued to know what gains felt.

Jester, what reg is your car? are you not worried about things breaking?

Whats the cost of turbo and intercooler if they break?

Those figures me nothing to me, i'm a bit confused.

Mine's an MY 2002. It's getting to that point where things are going to happen, so get used to it! Perfect example is my TIP, a hose a broken away so a new TIP is in order. Getting my Cambelt done next week. the clutch and flywheel should last another 10k at least. Brake Pads and Disc are all good. Only thing that worries me is the gearbox(cheers Prawn) and suspension; as both have done 146K miles and are the originals.

Mines on lowered suspension, which is recent so I know thats ok, though I will need a new ARB soon, new clutch and cambelt done before I got it, pads and discs recently done, oil gets done every service, recently had a new filter.

Not sure about the rest.

The gearbox is also now a worry for me.