Problem filling tank

K-Dash

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2.0 TDi Sport.

Ever since i got the car ive filled it up 4 times and each time i could only trickle it in.
if i try to pull the pump "trigger" to within 70% of its max it clicks off like the tank is full.

So for now im taking 5 minutes to put in £20s worth of diesel.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

try not putting the fuel nozzle all the way in for the first few litres. i think its something to do with pressure in the fuel tank..

I've been having trouble getting the pump nozzle in my local BP station into my tank. Need to push the thing in. Then I need to pull it pretty hard to get it out. It feels like the nozzle is slightly too big.

Local Shell station nozzle seems to fit better, but I want to put BP Ultimate Diesel in it.

I thought it was bps pumps as i only used bp until tonight when i tried the only other station locally tescos (I know i shouldnt). But it was the same there.

Whats that bp ultimate diesel like?

i had this prob at sainsburies once, i found that if you twist it a little rather than holding it straight it helped in my case, but then other petrol stations never had aprob, i think it depends on the sensitivity of the petrol pump

I have had the same problem on mine and have tried ALL methods of filling and the only thing that slightly improves the problem on mine is if I hold the nozzle upside down when filling-I still cant pull it onto `full power`so to speak but it seems to be the only help,mine is a 3.2 petrol so I`m a regular at the pumps,might be worth a try???:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the helpful replys.

I shall try later the upside trick today thanks guys

Yes, that problem happens to me sometimes. Not on all petrol stations.... it is anoying to take a long time to fill the tank, specially as I have to go there every 2-3 days...

Pedro

Trick with mine, which has worked on both my A3s, was to put the nozzle fully in and the right way up and then squeeze the trigger slowly, gradually increasing the flow rate until it's up to full speed - it then runs fine until the tank is full.

Squeezing the trigger too quickly causes it to cut out.

Update:

It now works perfectly if i put the nozzle in well and truly upside down.

Thanks all.

I found that same problem with both my A3s when new. with the first one it took a bit of trial and error to work out that having the handle at about 730-800 is the best angle for it.

Strangely when I picked up my second A3 in January I had trouble filling it, even at the 730-800 angle, but after a few fills it now does work at that angle.

Can't work out why it didn't work and now does though.

Ha !
I can trump this.
My fuel flap used to refuse to open !
Try that at a crowded petrol station,when your warning light is on...

I was under the impression it's the pump at fault not the car. I use the Shell and Aral stations here in Germany and don't ever have problems, but when I use the BP in Bedford it never works properly.

Same problem here. My car is new so I've only filled it up 4 times, but at 4 different stations. Three of them posed the problem. I will try different angles as suggested above.