Mmi updates

Johncam

2019 A6 sline
Reaction score
Just thought i would ask what do you guys do about updates....... is it done online or do you buy sd cards.

I'm new to this and my nav system is from back when the car was built in 2019 i think.

Just thought i would ask what do you guys do about updates....... is it done online or do you buy sd cards.

I'm new to this and my nav system is from back when the car was built in 2019 i think.
I had real difficulty updating mine and ended up giving up. It should have been updated by the Audi dealer before it was sold to me but this wasn't done and by the time I'd realised the free update period had ended. I did try downloading the latest maps from MyAudi and putting the file on to an SD card but it wouldn't work and the car couldn't recognise the file. I think it stops working once the car reaches a certain age unless you pay for it.

I also tried asked a dealer to update it during a service and they said they couldn't unless I paid for new software as an accessory for something ridiculous like £500. I then tried raising it with Audi UK arguing that it should have been updated by the Audi dealer before I bought it but didn't get anywhere and gave up. I'd be interested to hear if you have any luck as I'd still like to update mine but having said that I rarely notice any major discrepancies using the older maps.

Reactions: Johncam
Thank you for the information.........

I have found sd update cards for the c7 but nothing for the c8 mmi so I'm not sure if they would work and the seller isn't sure either when asked.

It's more about keeping the software upto date with mine because i find it mine glitches a lot. Every now and again i loose the usb ports for my music stick and then i have a ottocast box that only works on the odd occasion.

I have scanned the car using obd11 but there is no faults found so it has to be something weird going on and i have spent hrs trying to sort it out myself. It's not the box as i have even plugged it into another vehicle and it worked fine.

Your car should have done OTA updates automatically for the first 3 years, but those would have been only for the specific areas where the car drove (UK is split into 3 or 4 regions I think). You can download the latest full version of the maps for your car from your MyAudi account. Not sure what happens if you have let that lapse though, maybe it just downloads the last version you were eligible for. Can then copy the downloads files to an SD card or memory stick and install into the car. You will need a 32GB crd/stick formatted as FAT-32

MMI updates are not normally available except from the dealer. There are some out there who do MMI updates, but be careful as doing an update that goes wrong could land you with a bill of many 000s if it wrecks the MMI system. Happened when the dealer did an update to my wife's Golf, glad the car was under warranty and even out of warranty it would have been their fault. Only really worth doing an MMI update if you feel you are missing a feature that was available for a later version of your car. Be aware your car has the MIB-2 version MMI and cars built late 2020 on have MIB-3, the software and features available for the two differ (MIB-3 supports wireless CarPlay, MIB-2 does not)

Should be done online within the audi customer portal.

Log in to your MyAudi account and then go to the "Services" page (I think that is what it is called but can't check as I no longer have an Audi) and there should be a section to download map updates. Download it to your computer (roughly 24Gb so you will ideally want a fast internet connection). Once it is downloaded transfer the files and directory to an SD Card or USB Stick. You will want the file and 2 directories at the top level, not a folder that contains those 3 items. Put the SD Card or USB stick in the car, it should automatically detect it has a set of map files inserted and ask you to start the update process. If it does not start automatically go to the maintenance section within the Car tab in the MMI and select the search for SW update from there. Don't worry if it does not complete during your journey, it will stop and restart as required.

Log in to your MyAudi account and then go to the "Services" page (I think that is what it is called but can't check as I no longer have an Audi) and there should be a section to download map updates. Download it to your computer (roughly 24Gb so you will ideally want a fast internet connection). Once it is downloaded transfer the files and directory to an SD Card or USB Stick. You will want the file and 2 directories at the top level, not a folder that contains those 3 items. Put the SD Card or USB stick in the car, it should automatically detect it has a set of map files inserted and ask you to start the update process. If it does not start automatically go to the maintenance section within the Car tab in the MMI and select the search for SW update from there. Don't worry if it does not complete during your journey, it will stop and restart as required.
I've just tried doing this again and unfortunately it still won't work - just doesn't do anything and doesn't recognise the update file is there (even though it's been downloaded to the SD card without any issues).

I'm sure it works fine for cars that are within the 'free updates period' but I've concluded that once this expires, regardless of whether you have the latest update or not, the car will not recognise the latest update downloaded from MyAudi.

It would be fairer if you could at least get the last update that you were entitled to before it expired. No idea what other options there are (would be great if anyone knows a way of getting around this?) as the only option Audi gave me was to buy an SD card with the software on it for silly money.

google mibsoloution 1 need an sd card and current software version it will locate latest update software and allow download insert sd in car and it will find it don't go into engineering mode!

google mibsoloution 1 need an sd card and current software version it will locate latest update software and allow download insert sd in car and it will find it don't go into engineering mode!
Thanks so are you saying this software does something to the car to allow the latest map update to be installed?

it will show the latest update available based on your current software version
My car doesn't have access to live download services any longer (hence the problem with updating maps etc) but do you know if this would work for updating the maps via USB/SD downloaded from MyAudi?

have a look at mib1 mate then you will know what im talking about!
Must admit I've tried looking into it and can't really find anything which clearly explains how it works.

Also the website "https://mibsolution.one/" doesn't seem to work so I can't get any information there either.

Do you have it installed on your car and can you give me a brief overview of what is does?