Stop DSG dropping into lower gear going downhill?

Statiker

Reaction score
One of the things that annoys me about the DSG box is the way it downshifts when going downhill. For example, on my way home there is a long gentle downhill stretch that I take. As the car starts downhill it drops into coasting mode and the speed slowly increases as it rolls along, but as it is in a 30mph zone I have to check on the speed so when it gets to 32/33 I press gently on the brake. This fires up the engine but it starts in a low gear to provide engine braking and the engine screams at over 3000rpm so I then have to manually upshift to 4th or 5th and the car trundles along happily without the speed building up again.
Is there anyway to stop this downshift and get it to favour normal braking rather than engine braking? A different drive selection mode perhaps?

This annoys me on mine as well, the downshift is often quite aggressive too. You could knock the gearbox into sport, it will stop the active coasting and leave the revs higher

Reactions: AdamInKent
This annoys me on mine as well, the downshift is often quite aggressive too. You could knock the gearbox into sport, it will stop the active coasting and leave the revs higher
Another work around for this is, if on a descent and the car is coasting, to blip the accelerator before touching the brake. This causes the engine to rev match when engaging the clutches, and thus prevents the jerk.