Heater matrix success = sweet and sticky carpets, cleaning advice?

cmal1001

Reaction score
all went well wit the matrix replacement, besides the top pipe pushing the seal inside the matrix and leaking coolant all over drivers footwell, eventually i just greased the seals and it slid in like a wet dream. I now have a wet nightmare on my carpets though, fresh g12, i managed to soak up what i could and scrub with water (i plan on soaking and wet vaxing over the next days to get the rest) my only concern is the foam underneath the carpets, will that hold onto the coolant? Should i need to remove the carpet and dry the foam out aswell?

Cheers

also i should post a fair warning to any DIYers who plan on pulling the rad hose from underneath the car to flush coolant. WEAR EYE PROTECTION or if you have nimble hands pull it from the engine bay above. The coolant will travel along the lip of the bumper and get ya. I ended up with rusty nasty coolant in my eyes and there was ALOT of it, i didn't go blind but i am glad the coolant was cold and not at operating temp otherwise it could have been worse!

If you want to do it in one go... you remove the carpet... but it can be done by just keeping the inside hot with the windows open that is if you got a garage.
If you don't have that luxury... drive the car with the heating on full blast with the windows cracked open for a while... also using some moisture traps ( a bag of cat litter works really well) to soak it all up.

If you want to do it in one go... you remove the carpet... but it can be done by just keeping the inside hot with the windows open that is if you got a garage.
If you don't have that luxury... drive the car with the heating on full blast with the windows cracked open for a while... also using some moisture traps ( a bag of cat litter works really well) to soak it all up.
thats what i will do is have to drive it about, what about the foam underneath will that dry without taking the carpet out?

if you add a moisture trap it'll dry out.. but the quickest way will be pulling the carpet, leave it out drive around with the heating on full blast and a tray filled with cat litter as a moisture trap... also a wet and dry vacuum on the foam helps to get most of it out... I know it's the last thing you'll ant but to quote the Madolorian: "This is the way"