Windscreen Demisting

doncarlyon

Reaction score
It takes so long, I'm tempted to buy a 12v heater... in a 50k + car this should not be happening.

What's everyone else do? Never known anything like it.

Reactions: RS3ree
The windscreen doesn’t have heated elements in it, what do you expect if the car is stone cold blowing cold air onto it?

I'd expect it to clear equally as well as my previous 15-20 cars have. But it doesn't clear at all.

Reactions: Mike.46
In mine it does pretty fast, at least vs Mercs or BMWs or Alfas owned in the past

Front windscreen we are talking

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I've found that the windscreen takes considerably longer to demist with the AC off.

Maybe try with the AC on ?

EDIT: what I mean to say is not on ECO mode or box standard fan heating.

I have mine on AC all the time and when cold it takes an age to clear. I’m amazed that Audi don’t offer the heated screen as an option. I had it on my Golf R and would clear within 30 seconds.

Reactions: doncarlyon
And that's exactly what I did last year around this time, bought 1 of these:

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BQHB6GXC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

So in current climate (-3/-4 here overnight), my experience is to NOT turn on the car blower towards windscreen. Only use above to clear the screen initially. The quicker you get driving the quicker the engine warms up then switch car blower towards window.
Manage expectations though.....it's a £10 fan with a heating element powered from you cig lighter........all the ones I've seen are sub 200 watt due to power draw limitations I guess?

I have mine on AC all the time and when cold it takes an age to clear. I’m amazed that Audi don’t offer the heated screen as an option. I had it on my Golf R and would clear within 30 seconds.
Yeah a heated screen should be standard on all cars. The wife's Kuga is always tempting when I'm sat there waiting for 15mins for it to clear.

Mine takes forever to get going, good 10 minutes of idelleing before you can see where your going. But what's worse is when the screen is not misted up, I drive 30 seconds up the road, then it mists up and have to pull over for 10 minuets till it clears!

Another vote for heated windscreen. My kids' 2004 Fiesta has one for god's sake! I end up losing patience and driving before it's cleared which is not optimal. Can't believe I'm shopping portable heaters for a £65K car.

Worst car I’ve had for this. I just sit there at 2-3000 rpm for a couple of mins that gets it clear a bit faster

It’s an odd set up, nothing like the 8V.

You can actually feel the instant change over from cold to warm as you are driving along.
I’ve also felt it shut down the warm air if the outside air cools the engine too much.

I've ordered a 12v heater
I'd be interested to hear what model you ordered and how you find it. I looked on Amazon and there was a lot of dodgy Chinese stuff with fake reviews. The legit UK reviews were all one star and the consensus was that the whole concept is flawed as a cigarette lighter can't deliver enough watts to drive a fan and heater capable of clearing a windscreen.

It should be here tomorrow so will let you know how it goes.

Not expecting much but had to give it a go after this morning...

I know what you mean. Demisting is a joke. Fingers crossed for you. If it works then I'm getting one!

As someone who's a qualified electrician, I don't hold out much hope for the 12v heaters unfortunately. The 12v ports are rated for 20amps (240 watts) which will produce very little heat. However, it might still be better than nothing.

Arrived today, just had a quick test.

It gets to a decent heat level, the fan clearly isn't very powerful but on a cold morning I've got a feeling it will be useful.

See what happens... I'll report back.

Reactions: M3 Convert
Yesterday wasn’t particularly cold so I started my car and drove off straight away, what I noticed was that I was 4-5 miles into the journey before the restricted rev limit was lifted and the temperature gauge started to rise. Anyone else noticed this?

You need to remember what the car is trying to do on these cold mornings.

The days of driver comfort (and I also remember there was a maximum 'demist' time that the car had to comply with) are gone it seems.

Replaced by 'never mind the driver' lets get these emissions within spec asap

Hence the hunting/kangerooing/very little pedal response as the ecu alters fuelling/timing etc to fire the cats and filters up for the first 100 metres or so.

The lack of demist is caused by an ecu controlled sheilding that prevents the water pump from working until the head (not engine) gets to 70c, once the head gets to 70c (about 1 to 2 miles depending on start temperature,I have watched it on vcds) it allows the water pump to circulate cooling water, this of course then drags cold water back up to the head and the process can start again if the head temperature drops too low

I think you could do away with it, the pump is operated by vacuum through an ecu controlled solenoid, either taking the vacuum off or allowing it on all the time would no doubt give you an earlier gradual temperature increase, whether or not the Audi Nanny mode division have put some sort of ecu gate keeper monitoring this I dont know, but knowing the newish Audi Nanny type f stuff the car will drop into limp mode and demand dealer intervention

I remember a while back Clarkson going off on one sitting in an R8 with a 'bong/chime' going off because the driver door was open, ( I know it's open I f*****g opended it) If that was the only nanny aid life would be so much better :)

Reactions: Frankel, RS03??? and Kevmoz
First try was yesterday morning, it helped but realistically you need about 6 of these things along the full width of the windscreen.

Then today it blew the fuse for the 12v outlet.

Might try a hot water bottle next.

• Haha
Reactions: M3 Convert and kayemill
Another vote for heated windscreen. My kids' 2004 Fiesta has one for god's sake! I end up losing patience and driving before it's cleared which is not optimal. Can't believe I'm shopping portable heaters for a £65K car.
Ford lost the patent on the heated front screen a few years back so I am surprised more manufacturers havent started having them

Ford lost the patent on the heated front screen a few years back so I am surprised more manufacturers havent started having them

Skoda been using them for a decade or so, Audi have no excuse

Reactions: Jon_M