Turbo Actuator Required For My A4 B7 170.

DaveW23

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Today has been a good day as I have finally isolated the fault that is causing my car to judder. The reason for the judder is due to the turbo actuator voltage being stuck on VCDS live data monitoring. The actuator is moving under vacuum but the sensor isn't seeing this action so defaults to base and retries to move the actuator that results in the engine surging (juddering).

According to my mechanic the actuator on my turbo is the one with the electronic switch/sensor on top which is not available as a dealer part and the contact I have enquired with have clarified they do not sell actuators for my make and model of turbo.

My car is an Audi A4 2.0 TDI S Line B7 170. Can anyone reccommend how I may be able to acquire one of these items as new please as I do not know what the part number is.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Dave

look here than match your engine details to make sure it's the right one
Hi northpole,
Thanks for this. What I have been able to identify is the turbo part number as 03G145702H. The actuator is the square topped one with the electric and vacuum connectors. I am in touch with a Borg Warner distributor and they will provide one if I confirm the part number as they do not accept returns on actuators.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Reactions: northpole
look on the parts catalogue, ( click on oem parts catalogues, than on audi) select your car and engine you should only find the parts used on your car with their part numbers ;) (vin doesn't always work)

Hi northpole,
Thanks for the link.

I have had a look and the actuator is not listed as a part, seperate from the turbo.

Onwards and upwards.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Hi northpole,
A quick update for you and all other members.

On Sunday I discovered www.turbocentras.com and on Monday morning after a brief email exchange with their support person I purchased an actuator. I selected next day delivery and it arrived yesterday morning. I took it to my garage today and it will be installed and configured in the not too distant future.

As a lay person who isn't skilled in auto mechanical engineering the site is designed in a simple and easy to understand format and all relevant turbo peripherals and accessories are graphically listed with all of their individual turbos, which certainly made my life easier in helping me to my make purchase.

To be continued and all being well the car judder issue will soon to be no more.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Reactions: northpole
Hi Matt, Yes, the long standing judder issue is no more. The tubo actuator was replaced and configured using VCDS. While the turbo vanes were exposed they were given a good clean. The car now boosts again and drives like it used to.

I also had the tandem pump, gasket and fuel filter replaced at the same time as there was evidence of oil contamination in the fuel. This had a positive knock on effect and eliminated a slight crunch that was noticable selecting when selecting first gear. I'm going to have the fuel filter replaced again as instructed within the next several days.

Happy days.

Kind Reards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Did you get an engine light / fault code with that fault?
Was it turbo out to fit do you know?

Was the evidence of oil in the fuel filter just a little bit of oil or was the fuel in the filter totally black?

Hi Matt,

There was never any management lights or fault codes generated with the issue. I initially took the car in for an hours diagnosis with the focus being on the turbo hoses but the guys on the VCDS laptop isolated the fault and demonstrated the issue with live data voltage monitoring. It was at this time that they showed me a sample of fuel that they had taken which was held in a glass jar and it did not look as clean and clear as you would expect it to be. When I had the actuator fitted they showed me a further sample yhey had taken from the fuel filter and it was totally black.

I'm not sure if the turbo was disconnected and removed from the car but the car was kept overnight on request as they wanted to ensure the turbo vanes were sufficiently cleaned with the aid of a product that they recommended rather that rush things to try and get the car back to me in the same working day.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Hi Matt,

There was never any management lights or fault codes generated with the issue. I initially took the car in for an hours diagnosis with the focus being on the turbo hoses but the guys on the VCDS laptop isolated the fault and demonstrated the issue with live data voltage monitoring. It was at this time that they showed me a sample of fuel that they had taken which was held in a glass jar and it did not look as clean and clear as you would expect it to be. When I had the actuator fitted they showed me a further sample yhey had taken from the fuel filter and it was totally black.

I'm not sure if the turbo was disconnected and removed from the car but the car was kept overnight on request as they wanted to ensure the turbo vanes were sufficiently cleaned with the aid of a product that they recommended rather that rush things to try and get the car back to me in the same working day.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Interesting, thanks Dave. Amazing how a car can have a running fault and no lights or codes. I do get lag sometimes. Sometimes mine spools up around 1800 rpm, then other times not until 2500 rpm - no lights or codes.

I did change my fuel filter about a month ago, the old one I think was original and had a bit of black which seemed to come out in stages, as if it was layered if that makes sense,, possibly dirt....but wasn't much on the scale of fuel I tipped out of it. I've done around 1500 miles on my new fuel filter and last night emptied it out into a bottle, and the fuel was totally clean which was nice to see.

My indy found nothing un-toward on VCDS, and forced a regen just because.
He thinks that "something is more than likely dirty" so perhaps my next quest will be EGR and inlet manifold with swirl flaps for inspection and clean if needed. It's only done 57k miles, so I'm not expecting those items to be too coked up...but I reckon the one previous owner did shorter journeys etc. A few Italian tune ups could be my friend here, coupled with Millers additive or STP diesel treatment etc.

The car seems to misfire on cold idle and the exhaust smells nasty, but only through from about 60 to 75 degrees, then the misfire / smell seems to clear itself up, doesn't misfire when driving, not that I can tell put it that way.

If you have the exact same problem the actuator itself doesn't have any sensors... the n75 valve that operates it is monitored though but doesn't leave permanent faultcodes (it will trigger limpmode)

So your best bet is to log the car during driving... and closely monitor actual vs requested boost... if these 2 deviate to much... well either the VNT mechanism on the turbo is sticky or the actuator is leaking... but it could also be a boostpipe leaking... all in all, the lot needs to be visually checked before buying anything.

So it's always best to have a knowledgeable mechanic help with these problems.