Alcantara Steering Wheel

8BitWheels

Reaction score
Hello,
Looking at some potential RS3's, saw one that ticks all the boxes, but the Alcantara on the steering wheel appears to have white speckles?
Has anyone seem this before? Car has less than 20K on the clock.
Would appreciates people's thoughts on whether this is some kind of dirt / staining that could be cleaned or if its wear that probably can't be resolved.

Cheers

It's just grubby. They soak up oil from your skin and it looks grim.

Get some CarPro Inside and a soft lintless cloth. Comes up back to soft and lovely ...

... until three weeks later.

It's just grubby. They soak up oil from your skin and it looks grim.

Get some CarPro Inside and a soft lintless cloth. Comes up back to soft and lovely ...

... until three weeks later.
I was hoping it's just grime. I guess a wrongly think that dealers would try and clean everything.. but I guess not. Sounds like this wouldn't put you off then?
What Car Pro product would you suggest please?

I was hoping it's just grime. I guess a wrongly think that dealers would try and clean everything.. but I guess not. Sounds like this wouldn't put you off then?
What Car Pro product would you suggest please?
Nah not at all, they're all grim unless they get a proper clean. Anything short of a proper interior detail wont really shift it, so they often hit the market with grim steering wheels.

The product I use is "CarPro Inside", which is miracle stuff as far as i'm concerned.

When you do clean it, don't scrub at it or use anything like a bristled brush otherwise you'll cause pilling. You want to gently aggitate, work in the product, and then use a damp cloth to bring out the dirt and excess product. Too much product can make the alcantara go sticky. The key i've found is plenty of moisture, product used sparringly and gentle working.

If you are too aggressive and cause little pills to form, you can use a de-piller like you'd use on a wool jumper to get them off. Try not to do this tho, as you're removing material and will eventually bald the fibre.

Personally, I wish they'd gone perforated leather on the touch points. Much easier to maintain.

Nah not at all, they're all grim unless they get a proper clean. Anything short of a proper interior detail wont really shift it, so they often hit the market with grim steering wheels.

The product I use is "CarPro Inside", which is miracle stuff as far as i'm concerned.

When you do clean it, don't scrub at it or use anything like a bristled brush otherwise you'll cause pilling. You want to gently aggitate, work in the product, and then use a damp cloth to bring out the dirt and excess product. Too much product can make the alcantara go sticky. The key i've found is plenty of moisture, product used sparringly and gentle working.

If you are too aggressive and cause little pills to form, you can use a de-piller like you'd use on a wool jumper to get them off. Try not to do this tho, as you're removing material and will eventually bald the fibre.

Personally, I wish they'd gone perforated leather on the touch points. Much easier to maintain.
OK, gently does it then. Well fingers crossed the rest of the car will be up to scratch.. no unsightly creases in the bolster, scuffs or random scratch marks that looks like a cats being playing in there like the cars from Reading and Portsmouth Audi ( this meets our approved used standard and is acceptable wear and tear! )
Yeah... Err No thanks!!!

Anyway, thanks for all the info.. really appreciated. Hopefully I'll find the right car soon.
Cheers

Greetings.. I'm now the proud owner of a 2017 Ara Blue RS3 Sportback.
17K miles, Super sport seats, B&O, Advanced Key, Matrix Headlights.. and a Sports Exhaust!!

Car Pro was going to take a while to come and so went for Sonax Alcantara cleaner after reading some good reviews.. I'm surprised and impressed with the result.
Looks brand new. Chuffed :)

Last edited:
Reactions: flybynite
Greetings.. I'm now the proud owner of a 2017 Ara Blue RS3 Sportback.
17K miles, Super sport seats, B&O, Advanced Key, Matrix Headlights.. and a Sports Exhaust!!
Car Pro was going to take a while to come and so went for Sonax Alcantara cleaner after reading some good reviews.. I'm surprised and impressed with the result.
Looks brand new. Chuffed :)
My wheel was the same and the car was less than 2 years old approved used. I used some general cleaner and a pile of white microfibre cloths and carried on until they stopped changing colour! Car has a plain leather wheel now, not a fan of alcantara or perforated leather no matter how clean.

Well done and welcome to the DAZA sports exhaust sounds :grinning: