Finally started to sortout the car...

Nope just a 2.0 NA 20v engine but the multitronic is a thing of wonder... put it in sport mode and it responds like a turbocharged engine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
sounds like it works better than the Tiptronic box in my old 968 sport. :icon thumright:

Reactions: northpole
It should it has recently been repaired, got a new filter, fresh oil and a refurbished (read opened up and resoldered the right way) TCM, with the last software and throttle software update. It wasn't cheap but DIY saved me a lot of money.

Reactions: boffin486
Just changed the cam cover gasket, no more leaks! and another mysterious advisory sorted and removed for years to come... Now I can relax for a while and enjoy just driving the car.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Gmac
Relax with a B7 , now thats a dangerous way of thinking. :yes:

Al depends on how badly you want things to be as it just came out of the dealer showroom... I just want mine mechanically sound... so that when I need it, it is ready. At the moment it is... but there still are some things I want done. But they can wait.

Snapped the hydraulic operated hinge on the glovebox this morning. I knew it's ABS so used some araldite epoxy glue to fix it back together... the reason for the snapping of it was the hydraulic damper it was realy hard to push in and pull out. Some penetrating silicone spray (oil) later and it's back to it's normal self. the hardest part was waiting for the epoxy to become tacky enough to hold the 2 parts together which took 10 minutes (instead of 5) and the 2 hour curing time ( that actually took less long but that is because i heated the resin up once it started getting tacky) it's now back on the car and the repair is invisible... I could paint the resin satin black to make it even more stealthy but no need it's hidden away.

Another tick of the list :icon thumright:

Reactions: boffin486 and Charlie Farley
Nice to see some more DIY repairs, always very satisfying and saves more unwanted expenses.
B7 glove boxes are notorious for breaking.
It is either the hinges, the damper, or the lock assembly, and in many cases, owners suffer all three, been there and had all three along the way.

Mine is empty and locked all the time now, that way no chance of any more breakages.

Yeah I wasn't willing to buy another one once I noticed what was actually the cause of the hinge breaking. One thing I was happy about is that it doesn't have a lock. One less thing to break but yeah the handle can give up the ghost too. Mweh I gave it some extra resin anyway to make the repair sturdier.

well that repair didn't last so i went a got a glovebox hinge repair kit of ebay, it comes with 2 metal brackets and the appropiate amount of screws to strengthen the plastic hinges, it's as simple as taking the lid off, loosen the broken part and screw the strips on... but what i did was re-resin the broken bit first, than put the metal brackets in place and screwed them on. took about 20 minutes.

than eversince i replaced the TCM i still had the selector switch faultcode, with it being intermittent. But the car came with a new one so i finally decided to replace it since removing the gearknob needed quite the amount of force to be pulled off i stopped when i first attempted it as usually i end up breaking stuff that need force... Today i decided enough was enough, checked if the new one was oke, cleaned it to make sure, than replaced went to pull the gearknob off... it came off after trying for a while, it wasn't stuck it's just how they are... very snug fit.
any way removed it and than puled that switch part apart to check it against the new one.. jup the dreaded dislocated magnet that is causing the problem ( more than 1 mm movement in rest position) the new one is solid so quickly swapped the lot around. but haven't wiped the historical faultcode yet. I'm at home today so not in a hurry to go out or drive anywhere. that can wait until i need to go out.

plus there are 2 more things that need sorting:
1- parking sensors - 3 are short to ground so either a cable is cut or they need replacing, need to remove the rear bumper to check them so not happening anytime soon waiting for warmer weather.
2- alarm module - it's beyond the battery fix, so it needs to be replaced. Will buy a good used one and do the external battery mod to it as soon as i get it. This also can wait until the weather is better.

Other than these 2 things the car has been as reliable as it can be, so not messing about with it anytime soon...

Just treated the car to a wash and ceramic coating... still need to give it a few hours to let it harden to go and buff it again but for now it's a black mirror. I haven't taken any pictures as i'm not done yet and seriously the car looks the same right now as it did in the last pictures i put online so why would i bother to take new pictures?

well that repair didn't last so i went a got a glovebox hinge repair kit of ebay, it comes with 2 metal brackets and the appropiate amount of screws to strengthen the plastic hinges, it's as simple as taking the lid off, loosen the broken part and screw the strips on... but what i did was re-resin the broken bit first, than put the metal brackets in place and screwed them on. took about 20 minutes.
First thing that happened when I got my B7 nearly 6 years ago; I was annoyed at myself since the previous owners hadn't broken it for nearly 12 years before. After discovering it was a common issue, I fitted the metal hinges, which are much stronger and it's been fine ever since. The solution too for the hydraulic damper is to drill a small hole in the back of it to relieve some pressure - it makes the damping less stiff though still smooth, particularly in cold weather. Fortunately I haven't broken the catch or the armrest one either.

Lol well I don't know if this one is the oem one but I assume it is. I didn't put a hole in the back i just lubed it with silicone penetratinge oil and now works how it should.

well i see i didn;t put up what happened 2 nights ago... I wake up in the orning to run to the shop to find that the keyfob isn't working... uhm strange well just use the key and open the door... f-me no key barrel just a big hole but everything inside the car was how i left it! found the outercover to the barrel under the car but the barrel was gone... clearly an attempt to steal my car.. anyway got the door open in the end than noticed the alarm didn't go off... wait what? so somehow the battery drained itself too! good that way they couldn't drive off!

So long story short i used jumper cables and had the car running stationary, came in and started ooking for people braeking B&'s around my area.. and as alway nothing nearby... in the end i found someone breaking 2 of them and he had the lot i wanted ( ignition, key, doorbarrel). I just put in the replacement doorbarrel and left the ignition for another day as that means dismantling the steeringwheel and the steering column... but it will be done than code the new key to the car. And have another blade cut so i have 2 keys instead of one.

But for now i can open the door with the new key and drive off with the original key... better than having nothing in the door and leaving it to easy for the long fingered brigade and if I could i would really just weld the darn hole shut but with not having another key access anywhere.. I refrained from welding it shut. Might be something I'll look at come summer time.

Reactions: Charlie Farley, ttelracs and Gmac
just had a quick check under the car... I had an exhaust leak that kinds sounded like a fart somewhere around the NS rear area... so jacked the car up and had a good look... Found a crack in the rear exhaust box... now I don't have a welder so i decided to patch it with exhaust paste for the time being... so i filled the crack first, let it dry a bit, than put another thick layer over the crack itself, than smoothed that thick layer out as if it's a plastered patch on a drywall. i than went to start the car up and low and behold the fart is gone and the exhaust note is quite nice.

so while the car was running i went to switch it off, wait noise from the engine isn't right. pop the bonnet to find the pcv pipe cracked off on just on the flexi bit... no problem stuck it back together got some black ducktape wrapped it around it than secured that down with cable ties. And the engine noise is back to normal. Ineed to get some silicone tape as that works better... but for now the pcv still returns the vapours back to the intake through it's patched oem part.

It's a good thing i noticed it immediately... so no oil dripped out of the leaky pcv pipe saved me a ton of cleaning.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and ttelracs
just had a quick check under the car... I had an exhaust leak that kinds sounded like a fart somewhere around the NS rear area... so jacked the car up and had a good look... Found a crack in the rear exhaust box... now I don't have a welder so i decided to patch it with exhaust paste for the time being... so i filled the crack first, let it dry a bit, than put another thick layer over the crack itself, than smoothed that thick layer out as if it's a plastered patch on a drywall. i than went to start the car up and low and behold the fart is gone and the exhaust note is quite nice.

so while the car was running i went to switch it off, wait noise from the engine isn't right. pop the bonnet to find the pcv pipe cracked off on just on the flexi bit... no problem stuck it back together got some black ducktape wrapped it around it than secured that down with cable ties. And the engine noise is back to normal. Ineed to get some silicone tape as that works better... but for now the pcv still returns the vapours back to the intake through it's patched oem part.

It's a good thing i noticed it immediately... so no oil dripped out of the leaky pcv pipe saved me a ton of cleaning.
That exactly what I would've done, although having the non-S line here, I'd be tempted to swap systems over, patch the crack and put it on the non-S line

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
Mine is just a 2.0 fsi 20valve alt engine so it only has 1 exhaust box in the rear I'm waiting for a 2.0t being broken near me so I can take the dual exhaust bottom bumper trim and the exhaust so I can make the rear look more balanced... the space for the OS hanges is there so why not?

But it'll probably come with more exhaust noise... something I dislike. I love how silent the car is. So this is a maybe I'll do it but most likely not.

Mine is just a 2.0 fsi 20valve alt engine so it only has 1 exhaust box in the rear I'm waiting for a 2.0t being broken near me so I can take the dual exhaust bottom bumper trim and the exhaust so I can make the rear look more balanced... the space for the OS hanges is there so why not?

But it'll probably come with more exhaust noise... something I dislike. I love how silent the car is. So this is a maybe I'll do it but most likely not.
Good shout. And I don't think it'll be any louder as mine was quiet, even when it started to blow. I too prefer the quieter car these days, it's definitely an age thing and better for it I think.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
Yeah I do have an aftermarket exhaust rearbox in the shed, full stainless steel with a big bore (4 inch) tip. It will be perfect on the car but, it's made by the same company that fabricates Cherrybomb exhausts... so it is a loud exhaust.... I held it up against the back but because I know how much noise it'll produce extra I haven't put it on... if it was a quiet version I'd go for 2 of those (custom) dual exhaust.

But as I said it's more of a sound amplifier than a silencer so it's a hard pass on that idea.

here is a picture of said universal loud rear box ( it's a full stainless steel high polished cherrybomb type)
11f0640f-6899-4855-8a17-ddfb9bd53621.jpg

Even just taking my phone out and using it to channel the musc out of it amplifies the noise quite a bit ( plus it adds deep low notes) so highly unlikely it'll get put on the car... but i might use the tip and weld it on the oem exhaust.... it fills the hole in the bumper quite nicely ;)

Reactions: swisstony
i just topped up the fluids.. oil/coolant/brake-fluid/washer-fluid.... checked the powersteering oil too but it is fine for now. 2 months from now it's going to get a full fluid change anyway.
yes I do change fluids at least once a year... i don't drive it enough and fluids are known to breakdown faster when the car isn't used often enough ( one of the reasons I didn't mind getting a FWD less stuff to deal with because of lack of use)