Clicking constantly

James' A3

Reaction score
Hi yesterday my car started to make a subtle clicking noise it sounds somewhat like a switch turning on and off rapidly but will then stop for a few seconds before continuing. scanned the car using a Carly and it came up with 2 codes both of which didn't return after a flash. The sound continues even after the key is out of the ignition. I popped the bonnet and the closest I could get to the sound was the drivers side suspension top mount. Safe to say im stumped on what on earth is causing this sound. Want to avoid main dealer at all costs so any insight would be great tia.

IMG 2544
IMG 2545

The location is strange as the car would be stationary at that point.

There are a number of things that normally click after engine off, including the cabin heater flaps moving to closed, and IIRC a range test of the actuator for the throttle body.

Can you gat a recording & post it?

The location is strange as the car would be stationary at that point.

There are a number of things that normally click after engine off, including the cabin heater flaps moving to closed, and IIRC a range test of the actuator for the throttle body.

Can you gat a recording & post

If the key is out of the ignition at the time the video started then I have no idea - sorry. What is the background engine-ish ongoing noise?

Given the location, the source could potentially be the alarm sounder siren, which I think might be inside the front wing.