A couple of questions from a new owner

rubberjohnson

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just bought a late 2016, post-facelift S-line A3. I'm already loving it - it's 14 years younger than my other car so it seems like cutting edge technology to me! :blush:
I got it for a bargain price as it's seen some use: the mileage is high (which doesn't bother me as I trust an Audi engine) and it has a few scuffs inside. It looks like the previous owner used it for work and let it get very dirty and, although the dealer I bought from has done a grand job cleaning it up, there are still some sticky points and things to be done. I must emphasise, I've literally only driven it once so far, so these are my first uneducated questions. But anyway, here we go...

• The MMI console works fine, but two of the switches are sticky: the 'left option' (the one to the left of the jog wheel) is stuck down and the 'radio/media' switch goes up to radio, but doesn't always fancy going down to media. I have the workshop manual and could pull the console out but I suspect it's a whole unit. How easy is it to get under the switches, maybe get some isopropyl alcohol or something under there to clean them out? And if they are broken, rather than just stuck (although I doubt that as at least one works some of the time) how easy is it to source replacements for them or the entire unit?
  • Only one wing mirror folds in when locking (the off-side). I assume they both should. Again, I suspect I can use the manual to disassemble, but what steps should I be taking to diagnose/fix the other one? The working one also seems to stay folded for quite a while - I assume it should do it on unlocking but it doesn't always straight away. Thoughts?
  • There is no satnav card. I'm not sure exactly how it works on this model (I've never had inbuilt satnav before) - do I just buy the most up-to-date card I can find and keep replacing it now and again?
  • On a similar note, does the whole MMI software ever get updated? How?
  • What are the things to think about for a car of this mileage (130,000)? I'm waiting to hear from a local dealer if I can pop in and be registered as the owner so I can see (I assume?) the service history. But what should I be thinking about as the first things if it turns out they haven't been done: cambelt? Water pump?
Thanks for any thoughts or help you may have. I've found forums like these really helpful on my last couple of cars (original Ford Puma, first gen Audi TT) so I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!

Firstly, congrats on the purchase.

It sounds like you bought it from a dealer, in which case get them to sort the MMI buttons (they should feel the same for forward and backward movement) and mirrors; if one folds then they both should). They unfold open turning ignition on as opposed to just unlocking.
SatNav card depends on which hardware version of the MMI you have. If the car advert said SatNav then dealer needs to fix it.

MMI doesn’t get updated unless there is a problem with it. Please post the version number as that will also help answer the map vs SD Card question.

Re maintenance - what engine does it have?

Reactions: johnsonkoman52 and rubberjohnson
Firstly, congrats on the purchase.

It sounds like you bought it from a dealer, in which case get them to sort the MMI buttons (they should feel the same for forward and backward movement) and mirrors; if one folds then they both should). They unfold open turning ignition on as opposed to just unlocking.
SatNav card depends on which hardware version of the MMI you have. If the car advert said SatNav then dealer needs to fix it.

MMI doesn’t get updated unless there is a problem with it. Please post the version number as that will also help answer the map vs SD Card question.

Re maintenance - what engine does it have?
Thanks.
Not sure if the dealer will fix - it wasn't an Audi dealer, just a generic second hand dealer. Although it came with 6 months warranty; maybe I could leave it a month and claim on that?
How do I find out which version of MMI I'm on?
The engine is a 1.4 TFSI, 150hp - engine code CZEA, I think.

Cheers.

Since you have a Warranty, why wait before going back to the dealer to get the faults fixed? The longer you leave it, the less interested the dealer will be, and the more likely that he will try to claim that the car was fine when sold, and the faults have been caused by you.

It’s fairly likely that your car has the MIB2 High Scale MMI (MHS2). You can check this, and the software version, in the red Engineering Menu. To get into this menu push the Map/Nav lever away from you, and simultaneously pull the Media lever towards you. Hold for a few seconds and release. Red menu should then appear. Select the Version option. To revert to normal screen, repeat the steps used to get into the menu. Of course, if your Map/NAV and Media switches are faulty you may have problems……..

Regarding Satnav: there are disc-based and SD card-based systems. If you have the MHS2 MMI it will be card-based. If the car was originally supplied as Satnav ready, then all you need is the map card and activation. This will cost you around £250 from an Audi dealer, and you only get one years map. Updated maps cost the same again. There are, however, folks out there who will supply a software patch for a modest fee which will activate the system and also enable you to get indefinite free map updates. I’ve just applied this to my own car. If your car did not come Satnav ready, then there is an additional preliminary enabling step involved, and I think this has to be done by the Audi dealer. There is, of course, a cost involved, but I don’t know what this currently is.

If you go through the registration process with Audi you will be able to use MyAudi to look at the recorded service history. However, you should bear in mind that only show work carried out by Audi dealers and independent garages who have paid for access to the Audi system. MyAudi will also show you what options were fitted to your car from the factory.

HTH

Agree no reason to wait to go back to dealer - the sooner you go back, the stronger your case is.

The 1.4 150 PS is an excellent reliable engine. In terms of maintenance there is a difference of opinion between Audi UK and the rest of the world about cambelt change intervals. Audi UK say 5 years though everyone else says inspect at >100k miles (can’t remember the exact number), but with your mileage it should have been done by now.
Water pump is on opposite side of engine so no need to do it at the same time like the old AUM / BAM engines.
A couple of reports of sticking turbo wastegate actuator but not enough to suggest any design weakness.

Check your coolant expansion tank and if there is a bag of silica beads in there, either take it out or get a replacement expansion tank as the new ones don’t have the bag. If it bursts it will likely lead to a blockage of your cabin heater matrix and that’s a dashboard out job to replace and v expensive.

Reactions: johnsonkoman52
Well, I figured the sticky switches were just that: sticky. So I pulled the MMI console out and took it apart, down to the circuit board. Think the last owner must have spilled coffee down it as there was plenty of gunk in the switches and around all the trim. Everything cleaned up and back in, now it all works fine.
Now the switches are all working I can see I have MHS2 software, but I was pretty sure of that anyway as I have card based navigation. I've discovered the Audi connects to my Android phone and gives me all the navigation options on there anyway, so I don't actually need the Audi navigation. I'll probably still look into the activator and map software patch just in case I don't have my phone around.
I've yet to get the car registered to me, my Audi dealer never phoned back...:chargrined: