New S3 Saloon owner with a couple of qu's

SeeDee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just stuck up an intro thread in the welcome section but had a few questions that may be better placed here! I really love my new S3 saloon (PFL) and have searched for answers but wouldn't mind some info from a knowlegdeable crowd such as yourselves!

- Am I right in saying all S3 saloons have mag ride? If not, how do I know I have it?

- Even though it has the black pack, it doesn’t look like the rear windows are tinted as much as others I’ve seen. Was this an extra option? I’m going to have to get them done either way but interested to know

- The drive is awesome but the throttle response is horrible – a large amount of nothing followed by a sudden surge. At first I thought this was the turbo or auto (I’ve never owned either and used to responsive NA manual motors) but on research it looks like the throttle map is to blame. Anyone improved this via VCDS and what is your verdict?

Looking to make quite a few mods so looking forward to posting about my progress.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• s3.png
    s3.png
    671.5 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: Jcbmally and Audi Bairn
Hi all,

Just stuck up an intro thread in the welcome section but had a few questions that may be better placed here! I really love my new S3 saloon (PFL) and have searched for answers but wouldn't mind some info from a knowlegdeable crowd such as yourselves!

- Am I right in saying all S3 saloons have mag ride? If not, how do I know I have it?

- Even though it has the black pack, it doesn’t look like the rear windows are tinted as much as others I’ve seen. Was this an extra option? I’m going to have to get them done either way but interested to know

- The drive is awesome but the throttle response is horrible – a large amount of nothing followed by a sudden surge. At first I thought this was the turbo or auto (I’ve never owned either and used to responsive NA manual motors) but on research it looks like the throttle map is to blame. Anyone improved this via VCDS and what is your verdict?

Looking to make quite a few mods so looking forward to posting about my progress.

Cheers
Chris

Do you drive in dynamic mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No mainly Auto (for now). That would make sense that the throttle map changes in dynamic, will check it out! (But don't want to be in dynamic all the time), even when I'm just taking it easy it's a weird feeling not to feel any movement when gently squeezing the throttle pedal

You have a PFL saloon and they did not come standard with mag ride......on the MMI and at drive select open individual setting, does it have a suspension setting ( comfort, auto, dynamic) if it does you have mag ride.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
No mainly Auto (for now). That would make sense that the throttle map changes in dynamic, will check it out! (But don't want to be in dynamic all the time), even when I'm just taking it easy it's a weird feeling not to feel any movement when gently squeezing the throttle pedal

I get exactly what you mean. I have a pfl rs3 and it’s same with that. Nothing nothing nothing EVERYTHING.
You can drive in dynamic but with the normal gearbox and fuel consumption is good still. That’s what I usually do just because dynamic sounds better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SeeDee
Get a peadal box or VCDS can change the throttle response I think, even Carista I saw has the option (I never tried it), not sure how the software change is vs a pedal box.

The Pre race lift S3 saloon did get magnetic dampers "UK" as it comes with 19"s as standard, you'll be able adjust the damper settings in the Drive select modes.the Black optics styling pack was a "stand alone" package no privacy glass included this was another individual option and by the photo you've posted it has privacy glass,the lag you speak of, belongs to the 6 speed dsg box,a map can be done to improve this

Reactions: pburv, SeeDee, Jcbmally and 1 other person
Interesting Jassy, the PFL S3 saloon in North America was standard with 18" wheels, only when you optioned the 19", you also had to option mag ride. Therefore, I stand corrected for the UK market.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hi all,

Cheers
Chris

Mag ride is standard on S3 saloon.

Throttle response. I only ever drive mine in either Dynamic or Individual (engine sport, steering wheel sport, and comfort ride), which should improve things. But it's not exactly the most responsive throttle in the world.

If you're modding, then a remap will sort out any lag issues I'd have thought. You don't say if it's a manual or DSG? If manual, you'll probably have to uprate the clutch before remapping. That's the only reason why I've not remapped mine. Can't be bothered with the added cost of a new clutch.

Reactions: SeeDee
Thanks everyone for your quick responses, much appreciated!

It is indeed the 6speed DSG box and I checked the suspension options within drive select and there is a comfort and dynamic option so I'm glad I have Mag Ride (confirmed by others as standard for the UK market thank you).

Yes I saw on the VCDS thread that there is an option to change the throttle map to more of a 'linear' response so I'm going to do that and see what affect it has. I've attached the instructions for anyone else to try too for reference.

:)

Attachments

• C560C65D-8C20-469B-83C5-0337015B9C01.png
    C560C65D-8C20-469B-83C5-0337015B9C01.png
    901.7 KB · Views: 149
Totally correct on the Mag Ride, I had a PFL S3 saloon and it definitely had this as standard.