Are your wings/fenders aluminium?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
My 2015 S3 wings can't be aluminium as magnet sticks to them,but bonnet is definitely aluminium,can anyone check there ones ?
No way on earth can you tell if they have ever been tampered with or painted, even body shop next door to my work say they look original.
This is a picture of the inside,once bonnet is open,but I believe this panel is available separately and can be riveted on.The date looks good as my car is a 2015(64)
IMG 20230111 193016

All steal on 8v(inc. RS3), only the 8p came with lighter wings(RS3), in the form of carbon fibre I believe. Happy to be corrected if that’s wrong.

Hi , plenty of 8v ones on eBay that are aluminium,(sellers saying off a cabriolet and magnet doesn't stick to them)
mine is a S3 cabriolet and bonnet is aluminium but wanted confirm the wings, please see pics of what I found when searching.
Another cab could confirm

Nowhere does it mention alloy wings. the RS3 and S3 bonnet is also alloy. But as far as I know all wings are steel. I mean, if the RS3 is steel I’d be surprised to find a cab wing is alloy. Everyone knows the RS3 would benefit the most of a front end weight loss .

Last edited:
I’m sure I read somewhere it was the facelift that had aluminium wings. Could be wrong.

You could be on to something. Very unusual that they could’ve used different materials.

Nowhere does it mention alloy wings. the RS3 and S3 bonnet is also alloy. But as far as I know all wings are steel. I mean, if the RS3 is steel I’d be surprised to find a cab wing is alloy. Everyone knows the RS3 would benefit the most of a front end weight loss .
Thanks I posted on the S3 forums and people said they got aluminium on wings and I was worried,but there cars are hatch.

Having just been outside with a magnet to check, I can confirm that the wings and bonnet on my 2014 A3 Sportback are aluminium.

cabrio is based on the saloon as far as I know so maybe the question is did the saloon get the aluminium wings?

Do you think they perhaps used steel for the cabriolet wings in order to add additional structural strength or rigidity to compensate for that lost by the lack of a roof?
I know someone just msg me saying rs3 has alu bonnet, steel wings

Reactions: Marky79
Just checked and my 2014 saloon has steel wings (and alu bonnet)
Brilliant!!
I was thinking at first that they should have been aluminium but now I'm so relieved that they haven't been replaced and are steel and aluminium bonnet, thankyou!