Anyone near Aylesbury with VCDS?

RobDunse

Reaction score
Anyone near Aylesbury (Haddenham) that could plug in to a Golf MK VI TDI and prime the fuel pumps to get it going again? @V6_Man?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that's needed as it has a lift pump/s fwd/4wd, that creates the pressure already upon ignition turned, so I'm surprised that's the issue.

That's what I was led to believe by Haynes when I changed the fuel filter... The internet (although mixed) thinks otherwise. It's a 2010 60 plate common rail 1.6.

When you turn ignition, is there fuel pressured from the fuel filter housing to the rail, remove the pipe to check of course, if so then it has pressure, so can't see the need to prime unless it's got an air pocket, but not had that issue on these cars before, not like a poxy cmax we had many years ago, that needed the engine turning to create pressure, which wouldn't turn as it didn't have fuel pressure lol, now that was a huge ballache.

Thanks NHN. I'm going to check the filter reservoir is nice and full again and give it another go. Don't want to really risk damaging the HPFP.
This is what the Haynes manual says on bleeding:
1 Prime the high pressure fuel pump by filling it with clean diesel through the fuel supply aperture (see illustration 9.20) , then operate the starter for shorts bursts (no more than 10 seconds at a time) until the engine starts. Operate the engine at a fast idle (approx 2000 rpm) for several minutes before allowing it to return to its normal idle speed.
2 If the engine fails to start, it must be filled/bled using VW diagnostic equipment (VAS5051 etc.). Using this equipment operates the electric fuel pumps for 3 minutes.

Never known that to be necessary tbh on these lift pump systems, surprised they state all that.

Pleased to report that it has restarted. I bought a hand pump from the local agricultural supplies store and attached it to the return pipe from the HPFP to pull some fuel through. After a faltered start, then a flat battery, another pull through of diesel and a jump from another vehicle, it stuttered into life. Took it for a long-*** drive and running all fine. Lesson learnt.

That's so very bizarre, maybe had some air trapped, but generally it shouldn't happen on modern cars from my experience since they started adding lift pumps to pressure the system.