RS3 v Tesla 3 Performance

Surprised this thread has gone on this long to be honest, they may be fast but they look awful!

Reactions: FBF01, Adi7r, K96 and 4 others
No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was very tempted tbh, I'm not sure there is another EV out there (yet) with the Tesla's all round performace (unless you start look Audi E Tron RS or Porsche) it's not an awful looking car but I dont think I would park it and walk away turning around to look at it, I feel it's a little bland.

I decided to wait for both battery technology to go to the next step (after all at the moment they are basically using thousands of AA batteries) and the charging Network to catch up, I really dont want to have to plan days out and journeys around charging outlets, also I would like to see where VW/Audi head to with Hatchback sized 'performance RS type cars :)

Reactions: AndyVWR, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
I was very tempted tbh, I'm not sure there is another EV out there (yet) with the Tesla's all round performace (unless you start look Audi E Tron RS or Porsche) it's not an awful looking car but I dont think I would park it and walk away turning around to look at it, I feel it's a little bland.

I decided to wait for both battery technology to go to the next step (after all at the moment they are basically using thousands of AA batteries) and the charging Network to catch up, I really dont want to have to plan days out and journeys around charging outlets, also I would like to see where VW/Audi head to with Hatchback sized 'performance RS type cars :)

Exactly, but we all like different things.

What suits one may not suit all, audi EV’s don’t float my boat, look at the terrible ‘winglets’ on that E-tron with the cameras, they don’t even fold in, just look plain odd.

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
Surprised this thread has gone on this long to be honest, they may be fast but they look awful!

It was never going to win over the Audi fanboys though…..

Reactions: cooperp and NevMan
Exactly, but we all like different things.

What suits one may not suit all, audi EV’s don’t float my boat, look at the terrible ‘winglets’ on that E-tron with the cameras, they don’t even fold in, just look plain odd.

Yes I basically agree, the 'only' EV's at the moment anywhere near floating my boat are Model 3 and Audi E Tron RS, the model 3 falls down beacuse it is not a hatchback ( for Dog) and Model Y just doesnt have the looks (imho) I dont know why they couldnt just have 'hatch backed' the Model 3,

I was pretty sold on the 3 Performance and thought seriously about dog in footwell, dog on rear seat with cover on it etc etc, but one muddy dog later in our boot liner'ed Golf made me realise it really was a no go :(

Reactions: 8YARWY
Yes I basically agree, the 'only' EV's at the moment anywhere near floating my boat are Model 3 and Audi E Tron RS, the model 3 falls down beacuse it is not a hatchback ( for Dog) and Model Y just doesnt have the looks (imho) I dont know why they couldnt just have 'hatch backed' the Model 3,

I was pretty sold on the 3 Performance and thought seriously about dog in footwell, dog on rear seat with cover on it etc etc, but one muddy dog later in our boot liner'ed Golf made me realise it really was a no go :(

Reactions: Mike.46
I've had golf Rs, gti's, m3, m4, Range rovers, rs3, rs5s to name a few... so not a complete audi fan boy.

I'm sure they have there place for people who want to save the planet more than others.
For me the terrible boring plain looks of them doesn't warrant saving a few emissions

Cant understand anyone who would pay that sort of money but each to their own and all that!

I've had golf Rs, gti's, m3, m4, Range rovers, rs3, rs5s to name a few... so not a complete audi fan boy.

I'm sure they have there place for people who want to save the planet more than others.
For me the terrible boring plain looks of them doesn't warrant saving a few emissions

Cant understand anyone who would pay that sort of money but each to their own and all that!

I meant as in on this forum…… it’s a tough sell

Same here, I’d never even considered one before but now that’s changed.

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin, Mike.46 and 1 other person

Yep, feels like that to me as well, I reckon if I launched a Model 3 half a dozen times like he did the seventh time would need to wait a while as I would :puke2:

It would be megga interesting to see/know what battery management is going on underneath you, i'm sure the Model3 biases it's battery for the dash to legal speeds and then eases off a little, it's what I thought I felt when I drove one

Reactions: 8YARWY
Yep, feels like that to me as well, I reckon if I launched a Model 3 half a dozen times like he did the seventh time would need to wait a while as I would :puke2:

It would be megga interesting to see/know what battery management is going on underneath you, i'm sure the Model3 biases it's battery for the dash to legal speeds and then eases off a little, it's what I thought I felt when I drove one
@T-1000 and @Mike.46

you both seen the car wow video: not too much in it between the long range and performance

Reactions: Mike.46 and NevMan
£1500 power boost makes it nearly if not a bit quicker too

performance is lightning fast off the line though & gains an instant lead - you might need a neck brace / HANS device for all those launches ;)

Reactions: NevMan and 8YARWY
performance is lightning fast off the line though & gains an instant lead - you might need a neck brace / HANS device for all those launches ;)
didnt it launch well though compared to the BMW

Reactions: 8YARWY and Snake Pliskin
didnt it launch well though compared to the BMW

Wheel spin for fun.

Exactly how the Model 3P was when I tried to get it to break traction, couldn’t get it to.

Reactions: NevMan and Mike.46
Was only a matter of time.

aaf96a09d5be6e04e5649cd03a9b219a.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mb127, NevMan, Mike.46 and 2 others
Not sure whether thats good or bad news? I thought they might go with pay per mile, it was only a matter of time though, they cant afford to lose all the revenue of people changing to electric without getting it elsewhere, I guess with that statement at least they are getting the revenue from the people who thought they were dodging it :)
Someone did a mpg between two BMW 4 series, one elec and one petrol, electric one cost more for same mileage when charged at Motorway services but less if charged at home

Reactions: VAGRANT, NevMan and 8YARWY
Not sure whether thats good or bad news? I thought they might go with pay per mile, it was only a matter of time though, they cant afford to lose all the revenue of people changing to electric without getting it elsewhere, I guess with that statement at least they are getting the revenue from the people who thought they were dodging it :)
Someone did a mpg between two BMW 4 series, one elec and one petrol, electric one cost more for same mileage when charged at Motorway services but less if charged at home

Yeah I read a similar article a few weeks.
The EV brigade are not sitting quite so smug now.

Reactions: mb127 and Mike.46
Mercedes EV tuning package

f610d73886829408f158d2e6dc650543.png

Mercedes EV tuning package

f610d73886829408f158d2e6dc650543.png

Interesting,
I felt the Tesla 3P was doing battery management at the end of the second 'Launch'

I wonder how long before MRC start offering 'Performance' upgrades to EHV's? and hopefully not on a yearly subscription

Yeah I read a similar article a few weeks.
The EV brigade are not sitting quite so smug now.

£10 for the first year and then on the standard £165 a year. Even included in the extra £355 for cars over £40k now. Given how expensive electric cars are, I bet it will put a few people off.

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
£10 for the first year and then on the standard £165 a year. Even included in the extra £355 for cars over £40k now. Given how expensive electric cars are, I bet it will put a few people off.

I think reports suggest it has already stunted sales, albeit many factors at play currently.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, NevMan and Jassyo06

But the R/T on lekkie cars only starting in 2025, so some way off and likely to change once current government gets booted out no doubt

Reactions: mb127, Mr Freeze and Jassyo06
I recently traded my M3P for an RS3 in the US. In terms of performance and handling, I wouldn't sleep on the Tesla as a worthy competitor to the RS3. Setting aside the EV aspects, the Tesla is a very fun and capable car to drive. Its fast as hell and feels significantly faster than the Audi in daily driving. The always on torque and speed are intoxicating. It's not just a one-trick pony. The steering is quick and fun. The car feels like a go kart. Unfortunately, it is let down by its suspension which is awful on all but the smoothest roads. Looks are subjective, but lowered, with spacers and a carbon front lip, the M3P looks plenty cool and aggressive though not in stock form (the wheel gap is atrocious). The other big drawback is that performance falls off as state of charge decreases. It's not night and day but you really only get a 3.1 second car for about 10% of the battery. After 80 and below 70, things start to feel less punchy. Noticeable but a M3P at 40 percent charge is still faster than the RS3 in most circumstances. Even though it's mostly 1 pedal driving, it's plenty engaging due to the quick steering and jaw snapping acceleration.

Now, on to the RS3, it's the best sports sedan I've ever owned period and I've owned Porsche, BMW, Audi etc. If you can live with the size, it has to be the best daily on the market. AWD - check. Quick - check. Aggressive looks- check. Suspension - check. I love the fact that I can drive around in DD mode with no fuss and it's comfortable and easy to drive but then flip a button into another mode and it becomes a complete beast. The interior is a big step up from the Tesla of course even though I've heard the complaints about the RS3. Everything else about the RS3 is better in terms of looks and fit and finish. I wouldn't trade my RS3 for the Tesla even though I do miss not buying gas. (currently getting about 21mpg in my RS3).

That said, I am convinced EVs are the future. It's hard to beat the combo of performance and home charging. I'm looking forward to a new crop of sporty EVs that hopefully compete with cars like the RS3. Maybe hybrids, maybe full EV but fix the flaws in the Tesla - namely, suspect build quality and interior and wretched stock suspension. For now, I'll enjoy my last run with an ICE.

Reactions: kayemill and 8YARWY
^ Well written :)
When I took a M3P out the instant 'go' from any speed surprised me a little but the way it disguises it's weight in the handling department surprsied me a little more (all the roads I went down where pretty smooth)

Reactions: kayemill, 8YARWY and clerkp
^ Well written :)
When I took a M3P out the instant 'go' from any speed surprised me a little but the way it disguises it's weight in the handling department surprsied me a little more (all the roads I went down where pretty smooth)
It hides its weight very well. It never felt “heavy” to me. I’ve heard similar of the i4 m50 which is even heavier.

Reactions: kayemill and 8YARWY
It hides its weight very well. It never felt “heavy” to me. I’ve heard similar of the i4 m50 which is even heavier.

Yeah I agree about hiding it’s weight.

I so so nearly ordered a M3P too earlier this year.

• Angry
Reactions: kayemill and Terminator x
The main problem I personally have with EV's (all the green stuff to one side) is that they are silent and soul less.
I can certainly appreciate them for what they are along with the tech etc, but acceleration is only part of the driver experience for me.
That's why I got rid of the Merc A45s, the lack of sound just diluted what was otherwise a very capable drivers car - both handling and performance.
The sound is a major factor for me and the prospect of zero sound, if that's the way all cars go eventually is not something to look forward to.

Reactions: Terminator x, FBF01 and kayemill
The main problem I personally have with EV's (all the green stuff to one side) is that they are silent and soul less.
I can certainly appreciate them for what they are along with the tech etc, but acceleration is only part of the driver experience for me.
That's why I got rid of the Merc A45s, the lack of sound just diluted what was otherwise a very capable drivers car - both handling and performance.
The sound is a major factor for me and the prospect of zero sound, if that's the way all cars go eventually is not something to look forward to.

And yet you still haven’t settled on a car you actually like though……

A45s= disappointment
RS3 8Y = more disappointment

Porsche 718 = ‘insert here when the time comes’

• Haha
Reactions: Terminator x, kayemill and Snake Pliskin
And yet you still haven’t settled on a car you actually like though……

A45s= disappointment
RS3 8Y = more disappointment

Porsche 718 = ‘insert here when the time comes’

The clock is indeed ticking to find the right one before they are all phased out :huh:

Reactions: Terminator x and 8YARWY
I'm not the greatest fan no :tearsofjoy:
Funnily enough its finally coming next week ;)
even she is not excited about it though, its a co car so the tax savings are the driver.

We were the same waiting for mine. Report back what you both think after a week.

(Using the Tesla mobile app, when she goes of with her mate somewhere, make sure you've got your Spotify account already setup, then you can turn all the heated seats on, the heated steering wheel, turn the air con up to full and put some shyte music on. She'll love you for that.)

Also when you spot she's parked up, you can beep the horn for her to let her know how much you love her :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mike.46, kayemill and Snake Pliskin
We were the same waiting for mine. Report back what you both think after a week.

(Using the Tesla mobile app, when she goes of with her mate somewhere, make sure you've got your Spotify account already setup, then you can turn all the heated seats on, the heated steering wheel, turn the air con up to full and put some shyte music on. She'll love you for that.)

Also when you spot she's parked up, you can beep the horn for her to let her know how much you love her :)

Now that is funny :tearsofjoy:
I've already been winding her up that I am gonna set the car to play ice cream van music :tearsofjoy: