S3 road tax

Jabba46

Reaction score
Hi,
Just received my road tax renewal for my 2021 S3, £450! Is this right?

thanks.

Hi,
Just received my road tax renewal for my 2021 S3, £450! Is this right?

thanks.

Unfortunately. Poor that the dealer never brought this to your attention.

Just looked and my forms and I paid under £40k for my car. Is there a way I can change it?

What was the Otr price? Plus I think it goes off the list price, not the price you paid if you had discounts for example.

Reactions: AdamInKent, Mr Freeze and tonyp03
£39.5k. However the retail price with my options is £40,036.20.

Your dealer has properly sc*ewed you over. Should have warned you were in the higher tax bracket. Nothing you can do unfortunately as goes on RRP on the road and not what you paid

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Freeze
All that extra tax because of going over by £36.21 :cry: . My19 S3 was £40688 but before I negotiated I asked if it came under the Luxury car tax bracket
it turned out my car came to £39995 as Audi added a after care plan which didn't effect the overall price so I was happy to try and do a deal after a week of going back and forth I got it for £35000 result :smiley:

Oh well, I guess there is not a lot I can do now except pay the tax.

Seems a bit daft that my 2.0l hatch road tax is only slightly less than a HGV. Ludicrous

This can catch you out if you are not aware. Easy to see what the tax will be on a car by using the government web site.
A car that attracts the extra road tax because it was over 40K will have a date at the bottom of the result. "Additional rate applicable to"
This was a fairly new S3 I found on Autotrader with some options so will be over 40K.
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

A poverty spec S3 but this will be cheaper on road tax.

that is real shame , but i found out many times dealer dont know what they are selling as main goal for them its sell

I thought the the luxury car tax ie any new car costing over £40k was common knowledge...l guess not

Ouch! Over by such a small amount.

But yeah as others have said it will be payable for the next few years

£536 over is pretty much the delivery charge, Registration and Number Plates inc VAT - This is counted towards the OTR price - Not sure why to be honest as a second owner will be hit with the same road tax up to 5 years old.

Should be on the car price including extras - Well actually it shouldn't apply at all just because you can afford a nice car out of your already taxed income!! But there you go

As it has been said it's the list price of the car, including any options but not the first year road tax and reg fee (i believe). Also its the list price at time of registering the car, so i theory you could order a car and its under and due to the chip shortage you have to wait a while and there's been 2 increases. Now when you receive the car they calculate the price at that time and not use the list price at time of ordering.

As it has been said it's the list price of the car, including any options but not the first year road tax and reg fee (i believe). Also its the list price at time of registering the car, so i theory you could order a car and its under and due to the chip shortage you have to wait a while and there's been 2 increases. Now when you receive the car they calculate the price at that time and not use the list price at time of ordering.

if you order a Audi the price is fixed at time of order my RS3 jumped up to £67500 through 3 price increases but I would still pay the original price at the time of ordering £59500

My road tax is around £160 a year for the S3 I couldn't of stomached paying £490 or what ever it was for a few options .

Last edited:
It’s ridiculous isn’t it. Surely they have to change it soon with prices going up on cars
Yes its daylight robbery I bought my S3 brand new in 2019 but made sure the tax was in the lower band before I signed on the dotted line .
I think luxury tax reverts back to the standard £165 when the car turns 5 years old .

Reality check, 50% depreciation over say 3 years and people are concerned about an extra few hundred Pounds a year VED ...

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: STmichael, 8YARWY and Frizzley
Reality check, 50% depreciation over say 3 years and people are concerned about an extra few hundred Pounds a year VED ...

TX.

Lol true mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX.

No reality check needed here I think most people are well aware of depreciation .
The thread is about car tax so your missing the point .

Reality check not everybody on this forum as deep pockets

No reality check needed here I think most people are well aware of depreciation .
The thread is about car tax so your missing the point .

Reality check not everybody on this forum as deep pockets
So £20-30k lost in depreciation but nothing to see there Vs £300 a year VED ...

TX.

£300 a year for road tax is a real kick in the wallet, especially when you're already taking a hit on depreciation. But hey, it's all part of owning a car, right? It's definitely a bummer, but what can you do? Gotta pay to play, I guess. Maybe we should all just start riding bikes everywhere instead, haha. Anyway, have you ever checked out https://www.thepaystubs.com/? It's this dope website that lets you create professional-looking pay stubs online. It's super easy to use and it can save you a ton of time if you're self-employed or just need to generate some pay stubs for whatever reason.
Depends on whether you've gone over £40K

£180 (not sure if that's the new figure) if under and then additional £350 ish if over - So actually £530+

Depends on whether you've gone over £40K

£180 (not sure if that's the new figure) if under and then additional £350 ish if over - So actually £530+

impossible to spec a S3 to stay below the £40k given they start from £43k now

Reactions: Jcbmally
impossible to spec a S3 to stay below the £40k given they start from £43k now
That's true the new Black Edition MY23.5 do start at £43K now and you'll still want to add the Tech Pack Pro probably - £47K - You used to be able to get an RS3 for that sort of money - It's all gone mad

Reactions: NevMan
That's true the new Black Edition MY23.5 do start at £43K now and you'll still want to add the Tech Pack Pro probably - £47K - You used to be able to get an RS3 for that sort of money - It's all gone mad

Sure has. Not long ago S3’s started very low £30k’s

Sure has. Not long ago S3’s started very low £30k’s
My 2015 RS3 could have been bought under £40k if you selected no options!

TX.

Reactions: NevMan