Mild hybrid Vehicle Tax Discount

Messy1

Reaction score
I've just found out that mild hybrid cars are supposed to receive a £10 discount on their vehicle tax. Unfortunately, Audi didn't register my car as a mild hybrid, and simply classed it as petrol, and so the £10 discount is not being applied. I imagine there are many of us in the same situation.

There's a really good post on the Nissan forum which describes the issue, and the steps Nissan took to get it fixed. I wonder if Audi are doing anything similar?

I rung the DVLA and they were pretty unhelpful. Their advice was to send my original logbook in with a covering letter explaining why I thought it was wrong. This issue feels like it should be resolved by Audi rather than each owner individually.

I can't be bothered to argue with the DVLA, but the year on year overpayment by all Audi owners is probably big enough for Audi to be on top of this.

Any others in the same boat, or have any insight?

Reactions: Scotty
Thanks for letting us know about this, I’ll mention this to my dealer when he registers mine.

I am not sure all manufactures calling their cars mild hybrid meet the exact definition to get the discount.

I am not sure all manufactures calling their cars mild hybrid meet the exact definition to get the discount.
I think the A3 would meet this definition. The below is from Audi's technology team regarding their mild hybrid engine. It states the A3 can coast with the engine off which is the crucial bit of the definition.

A belt alternator starter (BAS) is installed on the combustion engine. It feeds a 48-volt
electrical system that integrates a compact lithium-ion battery under the front passenger
seat. A voltage converter connects the conventional 12-volt electrical system. In customer
operation, the MHEV system achieves a fuel-consumption advantage of up to 0.4 liters per
100 kilometers. When the driver decelerates or applies the brake slightly, the BAS can
recuperate up to 12 kW of power and feed it to the battery. When driving off and
accelerating from a low rotational speed, it assists the TFSI with up to 9 kW and 50 Nm
(36.9 lb-ft) of torque. In certain driving situations, it shifts the loads such that the engine’s
efficiency is further increased. It also manages the state of charge of the 48-volt battery. It
stores enough power to enable the A3 Sportback to coast with the engine switched off in
many situations. The BAS then quickly and conveniently restarts the TFSI, just like at the
end of the start/stop phase, which already starts at a residual speed of 22 km/h (13.7
mp

Reactions: AdamInKent