A4 B7 2ltdi cruise control accelerating by its self!

Old man VAG

Reaction score
Afternoon all I got an odd 1 that started a while ago. My cruise control works perfectly fine below 60mph. But above this its really unstable and often just accelerates away until I switch it off way north of legal. I have legit Vcds and have been over the usual suspects with a mate sat next to me while driving. I even changed the stalk just in case but no luck. Both engine and vehicle speed appear to be reading perfectly well. No errors on the abs sensors. No phaeton inputs or torque demands that I can see. I have even checked it at 50mph in different gears to see if its engine or vehicle speed related. And it's deffinately vehicle speed related. I have a 5000 mile drive to do over Christmas and really would rather have cruise control.
Any bright or non bright ideas from anyone?

Thats an interesting one, most issues people seem to get with cruise control relate to the clutch switch failing, stopping the cruise working. Could be worth a shot trying a new clutch switch for the sake of £15 which i think is what i paid.

Alex

Thats an interesting one, most issues people seem to get with cruise control relate to the clutch switch failing, stopping the cruise working. Could be worth a shot trying a new clutch switch for the sake of £15 which i think is what i paid.

Alex
Thanks Alex.
Yes I had the clutch switch issue about 3 years ago so it was one of the first things I checked.
Interestingly now it sometimes won't even switch on. I'm down to the conclusion it's a software issue and I need to reflash the ecu. So if anyone knows a free way to do that I'm all ears!