Distorted sound (not rattling)

teone123

Reaction score
Hello!

I just bought a 2016 A4 Avant. The other day, with the car parked and engine off, I played some gentle music and noticed a strange distortion coming from the front left woofer. Today, it comes from the right one.
It doesn't sound as a rattling sound (made by a bad driver or vibration). It's more like a distortion generated by some crossover or other electronics.
You can hear it clearly around 100-800Hz. If you increase the volume, the overall sound coming from the system hides that distortion (you can still hear it by paying attention and with some gentle music such as classical), but the distortion doesn't increase that much as the volume...

What could it be?

At first, I though of changing the woofer, then the distortion switched side and I'm not sure it's the drivers anymore :|

Thank you

Where are the woofers situated, did you place your hand on the trim, to see if this disappeared, maybe its vibration, 1 to discount anyway.

Yes absolutely.
I tried all kind of "mechanical" intervention (such as pressing plastics, grills etc), and I'm 99% sure that this is not the case.

The distortions looks definitely like some DSP (digital signal processing) distortion, which, by the way, it's quite volume-independent.

I'll do a video soon.

Thank you

Just tried again to film it: no problems at all.

I tried also a via Bluetooth with an app that generates sinewaves and there was no digital distortion at all, just regulars vibration of door panels... Strange.

I reset the MMI after that, just to be sure.

Don't know what to say. It's definitely a software or DSP problem, but acts randomly...

I'll keep you posted

Absolutely it is.

Anyway, it has been 5 days without a single problem... Same setting as before.

It might be... Lol

Anyway, i tested also with a sine wave generator as input, no problems at all...
Dunno

aaaaaand the problem is back.
Yesterday I had a 1000km travel. The last hours the problem came back. Distorted sound... damn