Want to go faster.

nickelvery said:
Stop bosting **** wit!!!! lol

I'm just jealous.

Don't mix your words then!! I will post some photo's later, if your interested! ;)

ChriS3 said:
I've done over 10k miles with it now. Standard manifold, standard FPR and fuel pump, and up until Inters it had a standard clutch. No real issues with any of it yet, although the valve stem seals have been smoking since before the kit was fitted, and the cylinder head gasket is going, and I'm pretty sure the turbo seals are shot.

You going to get the ATP manifold or just stick the the standard one?

Turbo seals shot, I thought the turbo would last longer than it has.

Cheers.

If you have the correct exhaust system fitted on your car you could do a big turbo conversion for £4000, probally less if you dont bother with the frontmount, unless you want to go above 350bhp. If you went without the front mount you just wouldnt be able to keep boost as long!

edward_harris said:
If you have the correct exhaust system fitted on your car you could do a big turbo conversion for £4000, probally less if you dont bother with the frontmount, unless you want to go above 350bhp. If you went without the front mount you just wouldnt be able to keep boost as long!

Don't be daft. The twin side-mounts are barely up to keeping a well mapped S3 in a cool supply of cool air.

I'd love to see the state of a sub £4k BT conversion.

Soupie69uk said:
You going to get the ATP manifold or just stick the the standard one?

Turbo seals shot, I thought the turbo would last longer than it has.

Cheers.

Looks like I'm just going to start from scratch with a much bigger turbo. It needs a rebuild before I do anything else, so I might as well go the whole way and get big numbers. Otherwise I'd just get a tuburlar mani like the JBS equal length one.

Chris, you have an Eliminator.

The S3 GTRS is currently $2000 with shipping to the UK, and approx 350HP.

This knocks the bottom out of UK dealers prices for the same hardware. Which Eliminator do you have?

Lets say an eliminator at £1300 once you include import, the Downpipe and sports cat at £350 (Jetex) and a FMIC from the USA too (£500).

Injectors, FPR and fuel pump from ATP as well, approx £450 and a remap at £500 from Custom Code or similar.

Hardware only costs are then looking towards £3100 and fitting a turbo is NOT hard, I did it last week, time consuming and fiddly, but not hard.

This now seems like a cheap viable BT option. But you've done it, anything I've missed?

ChriS3 said:
Don't be daft. The twin side-mounts are barely up to keeping a well mapped S3 in a cool supply of cool air.

I'd love to see the state of a sub £4k BT conversion.

It would still make the power tho! if you already have the exhaust system you could do it for £4000!

Dave_Bayern said:
Chris, you have an Eliminator.

The S3 GTRS is currently $2000 with shipping to the UK, and approx 350HP.

This knocks the bottom out of UK dealers prices for the same hardware. Which Eliminator do you have?

Lets say an eliminator at £1300 once you include import, the Downpipe and sports cat at £350 (Jetex) and a FMIC from the USA too (£500).

Injectors, FPR and fuel pump from ATP as well, approx £450 and a remap at £500 from Custom Code or similar.

Hardware only costs are then looking towards £3100 and fitting a turbo is NOT hard, I did it last week, time consuming and fiddly, but not hard.

This now seems like a cheap viable BT option. But you've done it, anything I've missed?

Fitted last year when the exchange rate wasn't quite so favourable, and bought from Star, not imported:

GTRS Turbo kit - 1499
Eliminator Hardware kit - 499
Apexi boost controller - 285
475cc injectors - 360
RS4 MAF - 99
Labour - 556.45
Mapping - 499

Total = £3798

And that didn't include a sports cat (£850 Milltek), exhaust (£250 second hand), manifold (std), FMIC (£650 Forge), DV (£70 Forge). Ok, I'll admit I could have done some of it cheaper, but other bits you need to do right. The injectors need to have the right, split spray pattern. That rules out most cheap ones. You need a good quality cat that won't melt with the extra heat you'll be chucking out. Bear in mind also that swapping out the turbo haldex 6-spd car isnt' the same as a FWD 5-spd. Mine ended up being an engine out job.

You don't have to go for an MBC, but I've not heard of many getting requested boost at the top end when relying on the N75.

Not everyone has the time or ability to do it themselves either, and a few of the limited number of insurace companies that will talk to you will stipulate that the work is carried out by trained professionals.

I have a guy who is a VW tech, so fitment isn't an issue, or expensive.

The injectors I have to look into, as if you look into this supposed spray pattern, even the guys who manufacture the injectors say that actually, this spray pattern thing is a bit of a myth, so there is a chance to cut down on price there.

Your prices aren't too far out, I didnt realise the MAF had to be changed, and boost controllers are a lot cheaper these days.

hmmmm, cheapness :)

Do you have to have a boost controller?

GTRS Turbo kit - 1499

What is the Eliminator kit I thought that was the turbo.

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Dave_Bayern said:
I have a guy who is a VW tech, so fitment isn't an issue, or expensive.

The injectors I have to look into, as if you look into this supposed spray pattern, even the guys who manufacture the injectors say that actually, this spray pattern thing is a bit of a myth, so there is a chance to cut down on price there.

Part of the spray is supposed to head upwards and cool the valves apparently. Jim at Star was telling me that you can have timing retardation issues if you don't have the right pattern. It'll probably run, but not as well as it should.

Your prices aren't too far out, I didnt realise the MAF had to be changed, and boost controllers are a lot cheaper these days.

hmmmm, cheapness :)

And the MAF probably won't be an exchange item as its a different type. AndI have an electronic manual boost controller (Apexi AVC-R) so its a little more pricey than the normal dial type.

Do you have to have a boost controller?

GTRS Turbo kit - 1499

What is the Eliminator kit I thought that was the turbo.

MBC's are not totally necessary but we found that the N75 could only give us 1.3 bar at the top end. That would have limited me to about 315-320bhp. The boost controller ensure I have 1.45 bar, or what ever I ask for.

The hardware kit contains all the other bits you never narmally think of -gaskets etc. It also contains the TIP and air filter as the standard ones won't fit. Probably a few other bits too, but it was a while ago and my brain is getting old.

IMO if you want something faster, have you looked at faster cars you might like? it would make more sense financially to sell your car and buy a car that's faster standard.

mine's been remapped/exhaust/etc.. at MRC but that's as far as i'm going to go, when I feel the need for more power, it's going to have to be an E46 M3, just a thought....

The thing with the M3, its an AMAZING car, but I don't know a single person that owns one and isnt a complete ******.

true story.

jonS3 said:
IMO if you want something faster, have you looked at faster cars you might like? it would make more sense financially to sell your car and buy a car that's faster standard.

mine's been remapped/exhaust/etc.. at MRC but that's as far as i'm going to go, when I feel the need for more power, it's going to have to be an E46 M3, just a thought....

Completely misses the point of turning a standard car into a monster. I'd say modding your car is a very personal thing, and peolpe have different ideas on what the goal is.

I'll most definately be buying a bigger and better car this year, but I won't be selling the S3 anymore. Just retire it for a while.

Dave_Bayern said:
The thing with the M3, its an AMAZING car, but I don't know a single person that owns one and isnt a complete ******.

true story.

I know of a lot of M3 owners down here, and yep most are *******.

I'm currently pondering on what to buy as my next car. On the one hand I'm thinking of getting a mint low miles S3 and spending another £4k on getting up to a decent level of speed and handling, or spend £14k and get an E39 M5.

That would be an animal and I imagine the sound would be engaging to say the least!!

As a new S3 owner my entire car is standard though it is the 225 HP model. I have to say I don't think it is massively quick, equal to a BMW 330ci but I do think the mid-range punch is great, especially on the motorway; no 6 double de-clutch into 4th like in the BMW. Although when you do it is very satisfying!

I would get a remap and am looking into it now but I think spending loads of money to increase performance is semi-pointless, depending on what you use it for. Suspension, breaks all need to be upgraded and essentially use lose the purity of the original creation for another type of machine. We like our S3's for their craftmanship and to mess around too much with the machine kind of ruins it, I think. If you want to go really fast then you need a sports car like a Ferrari, Porsche, De Tomaso or Aston. They are super-hyper cars designed for speed, ours are not in the same league!!

Anyway, love all the info on this site and the backlash that I might receive now!
Cheers

I'm_Spartacus said:
I think. If you want to go really fast then you need a sports car like a Ferrari, Porsche, De Tomaso or Aston. They are super-hyper cars designed for speed, ours are not in the same league!!

Anyway, love all the info on this site and the backlash that I might receive now!
Cheers

No backlash from me except you missed off a load of marques off your list :no: (where is TVR for a start :lmfao:)

If you really want to go fast the best speed per £ is probably a fiddled with westfield.